• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BEST ALL-AROUND TRUCK

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I love my Ford F150 Crew Cab with the auto on the floor. Everything is easy to reach and the ride is great.

murph

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Planning a trip down to either UP Michigan or upper minnesota in the next bit to get a truck. Still undecided on what to get though.........all depends on price. Anyone know of any good dealers in these areas?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Planning a trip down to either UP Michigan or upper minnesota in the next bit to get a truck. Still undecided on what to get though.........all depends on price. Anyone know of any good dealers in these areas?

Bring up the dealer locators for each of those areas. Then shop what they have on the internet and make contact via email. You can do a lot of your shopping from your computer.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
For those interested in a comparison test on trucks, here's a link to canadian driver's 2008 truck challenge.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/truckking/2008/index.htm

Those Canadians are pretty well dead on with data I have in each size range of trucks. The 1/2 ton group hasn't changed that much, but in the 1 ton, Ford has gone from #1 to last. Rather than recover from the 6.0 liter diaster, they seem to be dropping further. Early reports on their "new" 6.4 liter diesel are not good, nor are the reports on the ride of the new '08 Ford F350 or F450's; which sucks since I sort of had my eye on getting one of them. As of now, I'm glad others spent their money on them to find the problems....I guess like I did on the iTurd phone. :(

Without a doubt, the GM 6.6 diesel is the fastest as configured from the factory. However, 16 years of actual driving has proven that the Cummins engine can't be beaten into submission and can be cranked up to be far more powerful once you're out of warranty if you're willing to spend the money for the transmission that you'll kill. It appears that in the GM and Dodge diesel pickups the transmissions will almost certainly last you 10 years or 100k miles as long as you don't turn up the wick on the engines any. Both the GM and Dodge diesels have decent power from the factory and I don't think I'd need to add any. Only the 6.4 liter Ford felt extremely weak (and, yes, I did test drive one....actually 2, of them for almost 3 hours). I'm tellin' ya, I went in with a check in my pocket wanting to buy the Ford but it just didn't have the goods nor the reputation.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've kinda had my eye on a new dodge lately. I have a couple of concerns though. The Ram 1500 with the hemi.......the dealer says it's only rated for 7000lbs trailer weight. Both ford and GM are rated for 10,500. How come such a big difference? Next, how are they for braking with only having rear wheel anti-lock brakes?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
groomerguyNWO:

1. Seriously, if you are looking at regularly towing more than 6000#, you should be looking at a 3/4 ton, not a 1/2 ton regardless of what the ratings are.

2. I didn't even know ANY ruck was not standard with 4 wheel anti-lock brakes any more. I thought this was standard by 2000 on all of them.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
GET a 3/4 ton minimum! Dont waste your time or money on a 1/2 ton! You will burn up brakes (smaller than on a 3/4 ton) burn up your transmission (lighter duty rating on 1/2 ton compared to 3/4) and the vehicles frame is also lighter duty. No, a 3/4 ton is the absolute minimum!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Also get a diesel! The gas engines are not really up to long hauls with a trailer. I tried to tell my father in law his 1/2 ton wasnt up for the trips out here (lots of hills) towing his trailer. Sure enough he burned up his automatic tranny. He then spen thousands on a new tranny and had his rear diffs changed to a lower gear ratio. Not long after that his engine started to give him problems over heating. He finally got rid of it and the trailer a bought a used Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Yr. 98.5 with the 24 valve cummins. He also bought a new trailer which comes in at 9K fully loaded. He has had ZERO problems with this truck that now has 178,000+ miles on it. Also his older 1/2 ton went through two sets of brakes in about 2 years. All they did was tow a trailer and travelled the country. He also had excellent maintenance but the truck was just to light of a duty for constant towing even though it was rated to tow what he had on the back! Get a 3/4 ton diesel!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Also get a diesel! The gas engines are not really up to long hauls with a trailer. I tried to tell my father in law his 1/2 ton wasnt up for the trips out here (lots of hills) towing his trailer. Sure enough he burned up his automatic tranny. He then spen thousands on a new tranny and had his rear diffs changed to a lower gear ratio. Not long after that his engine started to give him problems over heating. He finally got rid of it and the trailer a bought a used Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Yr. 98.5 with the 24 valve cummins. He also bought a new trailer which comes in at 9K fully loaded. He has had ZERO problems with this truck that now has 178,000+ miles on it. Also his older 1/2 ton went through two sets of brakes in about 2 years. All they did was tow a trailer and travelled the country. He also had excellent maintenance but the truck was just to light of a duty for constant towing even though it was rated to tow what he had on the back! Get a 3/4 ton diesel!

Beleive me, that's what I'm looking for........if I can find one at the right price. I took a Dodge 3/4 ton for a test drive today. It was a 2004 with over 200000miles. Pretty rough shape too. And they still wanted 35,000 for it. Guess a trip south of the border is in store for me. I'm pretty much set on a dodge. I found it rode a bit rougher than anything else I've tried.......but not much. The reason I will be going with a dodge is mainly for one reason and not something anyone else would think of.

I was injured at work last year when a 14000lb forklift with solid rubber tires tried to run over the back of my right foot. The forklift was turning and the back tire climbed my ankle throuwing me to the ground and pushing me 5 or so feet. Nothing was broken but I have permanent damage in the muscles around my ankle. The thing I found with the ford and GM is that the fuel pedal requires a fair bit of foot pressure to move it. The one on the dodge I drove today is allot lighter and is much easier on my ankle. I have to drive in cruise control most of the time so I can rest my ankle and usually let the wife drive when we're in the city.(that way I can complain about her driving for a change)

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I can get you a Brand new 2008 Dodge diesel 4x4 for about 5,000 Below MSRP. Roughly $40,000 to $50,000 US dollars depending on how loaded you want it! That 6.7 is a massive Torque Monster and its getting great fuel economy! Then you can come and visit us here and check out the snowcat scene!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
That truck up here would be around $60-65,000.
:idea: Hmmmmm............let's see..........my wife's out of town for a week on the other side of the country............wonder if I have time to get down there and back before she gets back..............then :shitHitFan: when she comes home and sees a nice new truck:thumb:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wish I could but I'll probably just end up heading down to Minnesota or Michigan for a weekend(about a 6-7hr drive from where I live to either state.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OH well then get in that old POS you have and drive to one of those States and Buy yourself a new truck.. When the wife bitches just tell her you saved $25,000!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've just been informed of a real life comparison test between a 2004 Dodge 1500 with 5.7hemi and a Chev 1500 with 5.3.

A buddy of mine and his in-laws each have the exact same camper. They went on a trip out to the west coast a couple of years ago each hauling their campers. According to my buddy, they were travelling together at the same speed and filling up at the same time. Each time they filled up, his dodge would cost around $10 more than the Chev. Both truck were spec't out pretty much the same. Both were extended cabs, both 4x4, same campers, same speed. But the dodge would always cost more in fuel. Just thought I'd share this with you guys.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I've just been informed of a real life comparison test between a 2004 Dodge 1500 with 5.7hemi and a Chev 1500 with 5.3.

A buddy of mine and his in-laws each have the exact same camper. They went on a trip out to the west coast a couple of years ago each hauling their campers. According to my buddy, they were travelling together at the same speed and filling up at the same time. Each time they filled up, his dodge would cost around $10 more than the Chev. Both truck were spec't out pretty much the same. Both were extended cabs, both 4x4, same campers, same speed. But the dodge would always cost more in fuel. Just thought I'd share this with you guys.

Who in their right mind would buy a 5.7 hemi for gas mileage? If its mileage you want you get a mini truck with a 4 banger and stick shift....:thumb: The hemi is for show and go....to the gas station....:yum:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Okay! You guys have convinced me to not even bother looking at a 1/2 ton. I did try a couple of them out just as a comparison thing from one brand to another. I do believe I have found my truck. Going down to the city in a couple weeks to check it out and possibly bring it home.

Here's what I'm looking at:
gmc1.jpg

gmc3.jpg

2004 GMC sierra 2500 SLT 6.0L gas(I know, I know..........should be looking for a deisel but the price of deisel is pretty much par with gas up here and deisels are slightly more costly for maintenance) If I had plans on travelling extensively in the summer, I would have gone for a deisel but for a 1-2 week trip hauling the camper every year, I think the gaser while do fine.

Thanks for all your advise and suggestions guys! :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NICE looking truck Brian. :thumb: Are you buying in the States?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Was looking around online at the dealers in Northern Minnesota to see what they had in stock for a used truck and there wasn't much out there from what I could tell. I did find one in Duluth MN that I liked but it was only $1000 less than this one. Same year with roughly the same mileage but only half the options. I figured by the time I take a day off work, go down to get it, bring it back, then get it converted to canadian specs,(apparently theres some bumper braces and such that would have to be changed to meet our regulations), it would end up costing me pretty much the same as this one. I've had my eye on it for a month or so to see if they drop the price. It was listed at 27,999 before and they just dropped it to 24,000. It's at a dealership in the city 3 hrs away from me. (actually, the dealership is right across the road from where I bought my camper) I'm sure there are probably better deals out there but this one's allot closer to me.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds good. And with gas prices rising that should work in your favor to get the price down. Good luck working out a good deal.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, looks like my search for a truck is back on now! I had the dealership send me some pics of the truck and its a case of "nice from far, but far from nice" The frames rusted right out on it. THe front push bar is full of dents, tires are almost bald, close up on the chrome accessories shows that its all rusted.......................not for me! Ah well, no rush!