• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

KRYLON paint on plastic? Does it work???

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom used some of that paint on some outdoor plastic chairs (those green ones).

They came out very nice and we've had no issues with fading or cracking. It was only done this spring but so far, so good. We would do it again.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you think it would hold up well on a plastic gunstock? Krylon makes a color called "Fairytale Pink" in their Fusion product line. It would be a lot easier for me to paint the new AR plastic stocks with a can of spray paint than to use DuraKote. But I don't want to use it if the paint is likely to chip or flake off.

Also, would you recommend that I first spray the stocks with WHITE Krylon Fusion paint before painting them with the PINK paint? I'm curious how opaque the color is when painting over a dark surface with a lighter color.

Any other thoughts?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's only my opinion but from what I've seen as well as reading about their paint, I would say yes, they're Fusion line would hold up on a gun stock. I don't think it will chip or flake.

I would probably just paint over the black. I think it would cover in one coat. It "might" take 2 coats but what's the difference since you would be painting 2 coats the other way (pink over white).

I don't know what temps this paint can withstand. If it can take a lot of heat, you can try painting the inside of the forward stock (where it meets the barrel) as a paint testing area. If it can't take the heat, don't paint that area...

OK, I just called Krylon since all the aforementioned was my thoughts without any factual backing.

This paint can take a temperature of 120 degrees. More than that and it may start to peal (looking like wrinkly skin). Consider this and barrel temperatures.

What's the stock made out of?
They said to consider doing a test area if the plastic is or has a percentage of either vinyl or polyethylene. The paint "may" not stick to these products.

If it's made of polypropylene, you're fine (and that's what this paint is made for).

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Huh. I'm stumped now. I think I will call Olympic Arms to ask!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I called. I stumped them. They know it as FIBERITE material. I did a websearch on Fiberite. There appears to be a polymer resin based fiberite and an epoxy resin fiberite. I have no clue if OLY uses polymer or epoxy resin fiberite.

Now my brain hurts.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, enough analysis.

Is there a smooth portion of the stock where you can do a test?

If I recall correctly, Krylon customer support said if it doesn't dry/adhere in 15-30 minutes, it never will due to the type of plastic. Well, if it doesn't stick, clean it off. If it does stick, you're all set. Call them to confirm. 1-800-4KRYLON

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well since I don't have the gun in hand yet, I'll have to wait for this test.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I used Krylon Fusion to paint the plastic front bumper on my Dodge Ram just over a year ago. I painted it black and it looked incredible when first applied. It stayed looking like new until about a month ago. It has now faded quite a bit in a very short time. The truck has stayed out in the sun lately more than normal. I plan to just apply a new coat each summer. It really is a quality product.