• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Pentagon: A House Divided??

urednecku

Site Supporter
You are right:

"Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2008 by snopes.com.
This material may not be reproduced without permission.
snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com."

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Back then that was how it was. I guess it is the same as those that would stop drilling in our natural oil land even with costs from the eastern countries being so outrageously high. In other words, they are not thinking and they did not back then either.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not surprised the pentagon had separate bathrooms for blacks and whites. Things were different in the 40's when it was built. Think of how much fighting and protests it took in the 60's to get the schools integrated, and the pentagon was built 20 years prior to that. We've sure come a long way since then.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
To erase all racism sediments I personally think they should tear it down and rebuild it.:whistling:

Cityboy

Banned
This is one of our "stupid" moments.....How could educated, civilized people think so narrow minded?

The same way these educated, civilized, educated people are so narrow minded today. Religion, specifically modern Christianity in America, has replaced bigotry and racism in narrow mindedness. But many of these otherwise intelligent folks will not allow their emptional religious fog to clear long enough to see the truth.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I wanted to copy some sections and quote ... I can not select any text.
If you really want to copy something your browser has 'view page source'. You can copy the raw html then edit it (search/replace) to clear out all the formatting junk. There is probably some way to edit a html doc and save it as clean text to automatically do this, also.

Or for a real short quote, just post with the junk still there.

Discrimination created an absurd new concern for Renshaw: He was supposed to build a segregated Pentagon. The word came in a telephone call <NOBR>March 7 [1942]</NOBR> from one of [chief of operations Colonel <NOBR>Leslie R.]</NOBR> Groves's aides, Major Donald Antes. "Colonel Groves just asked me to call
......snipped out an ad for 'Shine, a Website For Women' .....
you and find out whether you have made any provisions for separate design for the different classes of people in the War Department Building," said Antes, who then clarified his euphemism: "By that I mean separate toilet rooms for black and white as required by the Virginia law, and if you haven't taken such precautions that you are to do so immediately."
<BR><BR>
This was news to Renshaw. "Separate design of toilet rooms?" he asked. Yes, replied Antes, who added this coda from Groves: "He said don't slip on it." Renshaw promised to take care of it.
<BR><BR>
The matter was not as simple as Groves believed, however. While Virginia law required whites and blacks to be segregated in public places, Franklin Roosevelt had signed executive order 8802 the previous June, which forbade discrimination against government workers on the basis of race, creed, color, or national origin. Moreover, on <NOBR>March 11</NOBR> Virginia governor <NOBR>Colgate W.</NOBR> Darden granted a request from [Secretary of War Henry] Stimson to give the War Department exclusive jurisdiction over the land on which the Pentagon was being built. Still, whether out of ignorance or deliberate discrimination, the Army made preparations for separate bathrooms.
</DIV>
</FONT>