• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Midwest Storm Photos

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like many areas of the midwest, where I live has been hit pretty hard with rains, flooding, etc.

I snapped these 6 photos last night. They are all of the storm front rolling toward my house. The elapsed time from the first photo to the last photo is probably only 4 or 5 minutes. This storm was moving FAST. 3 of the photos show the south end of the storm front, which was no more than a mile or two south of my house. Those are the first 3 photos I took, and consequently the brightest images. The other 3 photos show a view straight west. It was bizarre to see the clouds so bright above a black strip of sky. None of my photos captured any of the lightning, but it was non-stop. These photos were taken at roughly 6:45pm last evening. Normally at that time the sun is still pretty bright in the sky. By 7pm it was pitch black outside and all sorts of debris was pelting the west wall of our house.

No damage to my house. The soybean field is under roughly 3 feet of water, I'm guessing the depth of the water, but the river overflowed, the bridge on the nearby road is completely underwater, and the soybean field looks like a lake. As soybeans stand about 2.5' tall, I know the water is deeper than that! My house sits up high on a ridge, but I know of some neighborhoods that are completely underwater. Many of the rivers and streams breached their banks. There are 2 ways to get to my property and both roads were under water. One was impassible, the other could be driven through with a SUV or truck, but I would not have attempted to do it in a small car.

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 123
  • 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 1-3.jpg
    1-3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 1-4.jpg
    1-4.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 1-5.jpg
    1-5.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 1-6.jpg
    1-6.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 123

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Batten down the hatches! There's nothing like that anxiety as a bad storm approaches. It's nice to be up on a hill (but not near a cliff) when it gets really wet.

jdwilson44

That's pretty wild -we never have storms that look like that out here - well, maybe we do - but with all the trees I don't have a view that goes out that far.:smileywac

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Those photos are AMAZING!!!!!!!! :applause:
You should submit them to any news venue that are requesting them! Best I have seen yet. :thumb:

My only question is.... what does it look like after the storm? :4_11_9:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Saw clouds like that one time while cruising down the highway on my motorbike. I was only wearing shorts and a t-shirt since it was so nice. Then the hail started coming down. Still remember how much that hurt. doing 70mph with hail hitting my bare legs..........ouch!