• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hawaii - Where to go, what to see.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We're struggling with the whole trip as well as seeing Hawaii by cruise ship.

If we opt to stay on land, where are good places to stay and what are the "must see" things.

Please Advise.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
USS Arizona Memorial and the National Cemetary - Oahu

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Which Islands are you going to? Are you active (like hiking a lot) or just want to relax?

There are lots of great hikes on Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. I haven't been to Oahu since I was a little kid.

The Big Volcano is cool - especially if you can get near it when it is spewing lava.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Which Islands are you going to? Are you active (like hiking a lot) or just want to relax?
If we do the cruise, we would hit the following ports (4 islands).
Maui
Honolulu
Kauai
Hilo
Kona

If we stay on land, we're completely open as to where to stay but may have found a nice deal on a condo in Maui.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Hiking or relaxing?
Yep.

Ohhh, that's an "or" condition.

In that case, I'd say it would be sight-seeing and relaxing. We may do some bikes down the mountain, zip lines... but nothing to physically demanding.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
On Maui, you can do the tours where they drive you to the top of the mountain (It's pretty high) and then you ride a bike down. It's pretty nice. Maui has some good snorkelling bays. There's some waterfalls on Maui too but the drive to them is long and they are really crowded. I'm not sure they are worth the effort.

There's some really great hikes on all the Islands but I like to go where other people aren't so they aren't something I'd recommend if you aren't looking to sweat and pack lots of water.

The volcanoe on the big island is a "must see". Check out the Mauna-Loa Macadamia nut factory on the way down from the volcano - lots of free samples which hit the spot after you've been out hiking around.

There's a coffee plantation on Kauai that has free samples of some really good coffee and there is also a Guava farm with free samples! I can't remember the name of them but keep your eye out for them. They are on opposing sides of the island.

Kauai is a good island for hiking - but there are also lots of nice beaches. A little expensive but not too crowded (I think there is a correlation there).

OK - why do I know about all the places with free food??? Hmmmm.

HulaMac

I live on Oahu and here are some must see places.

The Arizona Mememorial

Punchbowl Cemetary of the Pacific

Ala Moana Shopping Center

Waikiki Beach

Haunauma Bay (for swimming and snorkling)

Diamond Head Trail. Hike up Diamond Head on a 1 3/4 mile trail. Two sets of steps, one 99 steps and the other 76 steps. Worth the hike for a breathtaking view or the island.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
We were there about seventeen years ago. On Oahu, we stopped at the Arizona Memorial. They also have a submarine there that you can tour. The Punchbowl Cemetery was mind numbing to say the least. I went to the top of Diamond Head, however the wife declined to go all the way up, there were some pill boxes from WWII there. Was not to bad a walk at all, other that all of those steps. We also went on a harbor supper cruise, ok. The harbor there was the harbor that was shown on Gilligan's Island, the old tv show. There is also a place there that shows you the areas of island life in the pacific and how they lived there, in my opinion a pass, half way through figured out it was part of the Mormon college as all the presentations sounded the same. We did not spend much time at the beaches as neither of us swim. Total time spent there was three days, figured we had seen it all there in that time period.

On the big island, we spend a week, but is was a business trip, so we spent one day driving around the island, seeing Volcanic Park, the waterfalls etc. The largest ranch in the United States is on the big island, it is called Parker Ranch. On the big island you can go surfing and snow skiing on the same day.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Kauai is a good island for hiking - but there are also lots of nice beaches. A little expensive but not too crowded (I think there is a correlation there).

Ha! Kauai may be the only place on earth that gets more rain than where you live. It's not too crowded because they average 1.75 inches of rain a day! I was there for a week once and it's the only island there that I didn't absolutely love. I absolutely hated that island. I don't enjoy doing all activities in the rain. The most miserable round of golf I ever played was on that island. The temperature was about 65 degrees and we had driving rain and a constant 40 to 50 mph wind. I actually quit after 10 holes. I was totally miserable.

In contrast, every day in Maui was paradise. Golf at Kapalua (sp?) was amazing. The beaches were beautiful. We took a small commuter plane to the Big Island and saw the Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl Cemetery. It was worth the expense and time just to see those two places. We went diving on one end of the island where the bottom went from about 30 or 40 feet deep to a sudden drop to 10,000 feet or so. For some reason it just floored me to know that if I were to lose buoyancy and drop off that edge, I'd never be seen again. Silly, I know, but it was something to experience. The reefs are amazing as well. I've never seen so many colorful fish.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, we're back. I need a rest.

I hadn't read this thread in awhile before leaving but we hit everything mentioned and a lot more.

We spent a week on Oahu and hit:
Diamond Head
Pearl Harbor (USS Arizona, Bowfin and Missouri)
North Shore (surfing)
National Cemetery (the Punchbowl)
Historic district
Waikiki (2-3 days)
Kualoa Ranch
Pali Lookout
Turtle beach
Haunauma Bay
Olaha Stadium (for the swap meet)
Dole plantation

I've yet to compile a list (and will need Mrs. Zoom's help to remember), but we did most every major attraction on the 4 island, (5-or-6 port?) cruise including (but not limited to):
Road to Hana - What a WILD ride!!!!
Tube-in-the-ditch
Kauai Napali Coast
Haleakala at sunrise - Brrrrr, Damn cold.
Volcano National Park
Thurston Lava Tube
Submarine ride (Maui)
Snorkeling in Maui
Kona Brewing
Walmea canyon

Saw some whales and dolphins.

More later after my head clears.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
I used to go 4 wheeling in Waimea Canyon on the big Island. Black sand beach. Very cool place.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to go 4 wheeling in Waimea Canyon on the big Island. Black sand beach. Very cool place.
OK, are you messing with my mind???? My head is still a blur but as I recall, it (Waimea) is on Kuaui and is red sand, not black.

I remember black sand at Punalu'u on the big island and near Hana on Maui but not on the south shore of Kauai. I think I may need some sleep...

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
My mistake..Sorry.:pat: I meant Waipio Valley on the Big Island. Sorry if I confused you. It was 88 or 89, and I guess I didn't realize how long it has really been. I was stationed at Upolu Pt. on the big island. I could see Maui accross the channel. I lived in a town in the mountains called Waimea. Nearly every island has somewhere called Waimea. When you get rested up, please tell us about your trip. By the way, your out of beer, and don't touch that lamp on the end table in the livingroom. I dont think the glue has had time to set up yet.:yum: :yum: :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My mistake.
Phew. I thought I was more messed up than I really am. I actually pulled up the pics I took and was going to post them but the damn resizing software said it was too big to see if we were talking about the same place.

By the way, your out of beer
I noticed... But you did apparently missed the bottle of Captain Morgan's and 6-pack of Coke in the workshop, luckily for me.

and don't touch that lamp on the end table in the livingroom. I dont think the glue has had time to set up yet.:yum: :yum: :yum:
Damn, that's scary... I was getting the suitcases out of the van when we got home. I carried one in the house and asked Mrs. Zoom "What's that weird shade of light in the living room" (I could see the glow but not the lamp). I actually put a lamp on an end table in the living room on a timer so the house looked occupied. Upon realizing what it was, I went over and turned off the switch but didn't move the lamp. So, I guess the glue is still setting. Watch out though, Mrs. Zoom has a lot of acetone and is well versed (don't ask) at un-glueing things that weren't supposed to be attached.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
He he he.. and you thought that the party at your place only existed in the forums.... Don't tell Big al about the missed Captain Morgan.. he tore that place apart looking for more... He finally ended up just finishing up the Dr. Pepper with no rum.. a sacrelige for him.

Last edited: