• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Canada: The cops came and took my gun

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
The anti-gun politicians in Toronto Canada have instructed their city police to start seizing guns from otherwise law abiding citizens. Just another reason why it is important to never register a gun and to be vigilant against further government attempts to register firearms.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/757440--fiorito-the-cops-walked-up-and-took-my-gun

Fiorito: The cops came and took my gun

January 29, 2010
Joe Fiorito

141662f74b7a832c415107f136ca.jpeg
Columnist Joe Fiorito, dual shooter in the woods, circa 1976, armed with a camera and a single-barrel shotgun that is now in the custody of Toronto police.
PHOTO SUPPLIED

A pounding at the door the other morning; my windows rattled. I was upstairs at work. I don't always leave my desk to hear the good news about Jehovah.
The pounder was insistent. I went down, if only for the sake of the windows.
Oh, jeeze, the cops.
Officers Firth and Kozar in attendance. "What's up, boys?" My preference was to talk to them through the plate glass door. They wanted to come inside.
Not a chance.
I stepped onto the porch. Who wants two armed strangers in his house, and anyway it was a nice morning.
Officer K. said, "Are you aware of Project Safe City?" I hate it when a guy answers a question with a question.
"Why do you want to know?"
Officer K. said, "We have reason to believe you have a firearm." Oh, here we go again.
The last time a representative of the city showed up at my door, she had reason to believe I had a cat. How did she know? The lady cat cop peered through the window at my curtains and said, "Cat hair."
I dislike being spied on.
I also dislike armed men at the door. And then Officer K. mispronounced my name and asked if I still worked for this newspaper.
Hmm. He'd clearly done some research on me, and I had none on him, nor was I sure why my place of employment was important.
I asked Officer K. if he'd mind getting to the point. He thought I was being difficult. Not me. I am, however, uncomfortable playing 20 Questions in the morning with armed men on the porch.
The point?
Officer K. reminded me that my firearms licence had expired. He said I could turn the gun over to them for storage, or they could take the gun and destroy it.
My gun? It is a single-barrel .20 gauge shotgun. It is 40 years old. I used to take it into the woods up north to get partridge in the fall.
The last time I used it, I was walking along a hydro cut when I surprised a deer in the long dry grass. She leapt away in slow motion, flanks rippling, nostrils flaring; too beautiful.
I haven't hunted since.
I own no shells.
But it's my gun, dammit. I guess, when the Feds began the long-gun registry, I should have lied and not bothered to register the damn thing.
Officer K. pressed me about turning the gun over, there and then, for storage or destruction. For a brief moment I thought about handing it over, if only to get rid of him and his pal.
And then it just seemed wrong:
A couple of cops show up at my door, unannounced, and the talkative one says he has reason to believe, and I'm supposed to hand over my property just like that?
I hate to write this.
I know who's going to respond and how. Let me be clear: I am not one of those "pry it out of my cold, dead hands" guys. No one in the city but a copper ought to have a handgun. And so on.
But I am a fellow who grew up in Northern Ontario and who was once the scourge of the clay pigeon, feared among the partridges.
I told Officer K. I would not hand my gun over and he could take the next step, whatever that might be, and close the gate on the way out.
Did I think they were aggressive? Yes. Was my response temperate? Not especially.
An hour later Officers F. and K. showed up with their boss, Officer Nicolle. He was as angry as he was pushy and he said he wanted the gun or he'd come back with a search warrant.
I was offered no options.
No one ever said, look, you have to renew your licence; we'll give you two weeks, here's the paperwork you need; and in two weeks, if you don't have the licence we'll have to ask you for the gun.
In the absence of options, faced with a search warrant and outnumbered three to one, I said I'd get the damn shotgun.
Officer N. got in my face then and said, using his outdoor voice, "Don't you bring up any loaded firearms."
As if, copper.
I presume my gun's in storage now. The receipt does not say where or for how long.
Aren't you glad the city's safer?
Joe Fiorito usually appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder what Canada's laws are regarding fire arm. Where I live now as well as in the past one isn't required to register a gun, any gun. Even when getting a CCDW license they don't record the gun or serial numbers which also can expire after 5 years needing to be renewed. Now they give you 6 months once expired without having to go through the whole program again which is a 6 hour to 8 hour safety training course. All the do is a back ground check when buying a gun meaning you will wait till approved then walk with the gun once done. Other countries have other rules I guess.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder what Canada's laws are regarding fire arm. Where I live now as well as in the past one isn't required to register a gun, any gun. Even when getting a CCDW license they don't record the gun or serial numbers which also can expire after 5 years needing to be renewed. Now they give you 6 months once expired without having to go through the whole program again which is a 6 hour to 8 hour safety training course. All the do is a back ground check when buying a gun meaning you will wait till approved then walk with the gun once done. Other countries have other rules I guess.

What they did in Canada was introduce a mandatory gun registry way back when (70's?) everyone was told to register their guns - it may even have been voluntary. But basically, there were no big restrictions just register them Then in the 90's they changed the rules and required everyone to get special permits. Of course they didn't offer the required courses and even then made it difficult for people to get the permits. They also made the permits expire frequently.

Now they are going back and comparing the old registry with the new permits and if anyone doesn't have a new permit or they let their permits expire then they get a visit from the police. Of course, this is so far only happening in Toronto because it is a liberal stronghold but it will spread as politicians see it as a way to make it look like they are being tough on gun crime. The reality is they have just made a web of bureaucracy that makes it hard and inconvenient for otherwise law abiding people to follow.

That's why my dad gave me all his guns. He didn't want to deal with the hassles. It's progressive gun control through bureaucratic intimidation.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Well there are many here in the US that think Canada and the US laws simply mirror each other. There are some major difference isn't there.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well there are many here in the US that think Canada and the US laws simply mirror each other. There are some major difference isn't there.

Canada's gun laws are odd they only get refreshed when there is a Liberal majority and then the Conservatives are too scared to repeal them. Subsequently, they get frozen in time.

You can have Short Barrelled Rifles and short barrelled shotguns in Canada and certain guns made after the last round of gun laws like the CZ VZ 58 and the Remington ACR aren't covered so they are available and only limited by their magazine capacity. Yup, Canucks get real good at magazine changes - only five rounds per magazine in a rifle and 10 rounds in a pistol.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I find that funny here too. I just bought 6 magazines for my Armscor Tanfoglio 9mm. Each mag hold 16 rounds and 1 in the chamber but I notice they had a list mostly left coast location they couldn't be sold. Armscor just released a 20 round mag for the same gun that is exact same size as my 16 round version. The only difference is it is a staggered double stack design. These should come available in the US some time later this year. Gun laws in the US can be strange from state to state also. It seems states with very large cities and high crime rates bring it about regardless. It gets back to how many rights will one give up to feel safe. It seems people when they feel threatened will allow most anything to feel safe again. That also is why scare tactics work so well as it doesn't take much fear.