• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trans-Antarctic Expedition "Common Wealth"

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yes they were able to place ramps (very long aluminum ramps) Under the tracks and then were able to pull the cat over. There is also some footage on the 4th or 5th video in the series (9 minutes each) that show them rescueing it from certain death. A few years later one of the 4 Tuckers was lost in a Crevas along with a young British Lt. whos name escapes me right now. He was killed in the fall. One of these Tuckers can be seen as LYNDON stated at the Medford Oregon Tucker Plant. The other two remaining are on display with BP in one of there museums in Britian.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Mike. My connection is still not the fastest. so I skip the videos.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
DOC,
Check out BOBPIERCE's thread on his bad ass wireless Verizon set-up! He was getting 1.5 meg down and 500 KB up in Elt Nevada!!! Ely NV is the absolute most remote town in the continental U.S..

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes they were able to place ramps (very long aluminum ramps) Under the tracks and then were able to pull the cat over. There is also some footage on the 4th or 5th video in the series (9 minutes each) that show them rescueing it from certain death. A few years later one of the 4 Tuckers was lost in a Crevas along with a young British Lt. whos name escapes me right now. He was killed in the fall. One of these Tuckers can be seen as LYNDON stated at the Medford Oregon Tucker Plant. The other two remaining are on display with BP in one of there museums in Britian.

:hide: I hereby do make the following statement-- "I AM DUMB!"

I've seen that picture of the tucker stradling the crevasse many many times before and never put 2&2 together that that was not the machine that was lost killing the British Lt. a few years later. I also never noticed that the one in the photo does have a door code "B". I always thought this was the machine that was lost but obviously it wasn't as that machines now resides in Medford, Oregon.

Thanks Sno-op for showing me the light!

Vance

Mike,

Definately stop by Tucker in Medford if you get a chance. Hopefully they'll have time to show you some cool history.

I TRIED to plan a trip there when I went and picked up my snocat north of the border... but this little event (and no spare... at the time) put me into Medford waaaaaaaay late.

Of course, the gf thought I was crazy for still going by at MIDNIGHT but heck... it was right off the freeway and we needed coffee anyway...

Vance

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 113

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
VANCE,
Good to hear from you. I see you had a bit of a tire problem. I hate trailer tires. I will always purchase new and over rated tires for my loads. I have had 3 trailer tires blow on me and refuse to go through those headaches again! On my new trailer each tire is capable of carrying the entire load! Anyway thats a very cool picture with the Moon in the background. I will make it a point to drop in to Tucker and check out there Museum. I will of course take a TON of pictures! Hope you made it back without any other problems!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When you go to the Tucker factory, first get ahold of them. The Grandson is currently one of the ' Head Hauncho's '. He's pretty nice to talk to for Snow Cat enthusiasts. The Head salesman, I've forgotten his name, was the last of the Old folks to retire and he had a wealth of information. Also it was this man that told me about the VW aircooled Kittens. He said they only made 3 or 4 and that they didn't have one in their collection. Bill Guthrie, of Sales Unlimited knows them well and would likely give you an introduction. I would be inclined to set up a visit in the summer, during the VW Bug festival held there. The Plant wouldn't be very busy(MAKING FOR A BETTER TOUR), and you could go to the VW Meet. It's one of the larger Bug Meets. One would probably walk away with a Plaque or prize of some sort if you showed a VW powered Kristi or a Snow Trac at the meet. They hardley ever show up at the Vintage Meets and usually tend to "Steal the Show".The promoters will come up with a unique listing such as:"First Place Special Bodied" or "Promoter's Choice". Aslo your machine will show up in all the VW Magazines. The meet's are Fun, it's also a likely place to find various of the "Hard to Get" vintage VW parts used on ST4's. Like parts made of "UNOBTANIUM"

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Some more stills of the film footage (#4)

Attachments

• Picture 109.png
    Picture 109.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 108.png
    Picture 108.png
    140 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 107.png
    Picture 107.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Picture 106.png
    Picture 106.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 135

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Some more but from another source.

Attachments

• Picture 112.png
    Picture 112.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Picture 111.png
    Picture 111.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Picture 110.png
    Picture 110.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 183

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Boggie,
I was on ASK.com and typed in Antarctic Expedition. One of the links was to a paper model co. But when I clicked on it it was very generic and only had two pictures of the Tucker and Bombardier. No place to purchase. I will see if I can locate it again and PM you with the link.

Donald McMullin

First picture is the recovery of one of the Tuckers during the expedition. The second picture is of the lost Tucker.

Attachments

• IM51.jpg
    IM51.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 133
  • crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 130

Donald McMullin

Some more pictures of a Tucker.

Attachments

• 05%20Sno-Cat%20cae%20a%20una%20grieta_jpg.jpg
    05%20Sno-Cat%20cae%20a%20una%20grieta_jpg.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 08%20Preparacion%20de%20las%20cargas%20para%20recuperacion%20de%20material_jpg.jpg
    08%20Preparacion%20de%20las%20cargas%20para%20recuperacion%20de%20material_jpg.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 151

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Was there ever a movie or film of some sort made about this expedition? I've always been very interested in this voyage. Anyone know of anything out there?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I saw those videos! Pretty cool! Wouldn't it be awesome though if someone made a full length movie about this expedition. Something along the lines of the movie "Eight Below" or something. Basically, a complete re-enactment of the expedition. I'd definately pay to watch something like that.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw those videos! Pretty cool! Wouldn't it be awesome though if someone made a full length movie about this expedition. Something along the lines of the movie "Eight Below" or something. Basically, a complete re-enactment of the expedition. I'd definately pay to watch something like that.

Put me on the list!!!!! :thumb: