• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for a project

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the most abundant cat out there? Which are the easiest to find parts for?

It really depends on what your end use for the machine is. If it is snow in the mountains then Thiokol is most likely the way to go. If you are looking for a swamp machine go with the Bombardiers Muskeg being the best.

Or if you want a continuing project every time out, get a Kristy:yum:

brbergmann

Thanks for the replies. It will be mainly for fun with a little bit of work. We don't have mountains around here, mainly playing on logging trails and in the corn fields. Just keeping my eyes open for a project and want to know what to look for. How does the muskeg do in deeper snow?

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I would have thought there are more Tuckers out there than Thiokols.

Also my impression is that some parts on the Thiokols are very scarce (OC-4 differentials).

Tucker is also still in business and the vast majority of parts are available at a decent auto parts store.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw it as a two-part question...most abundant cat and easy to find parts. How much easier can it be to find parts than your local NAPA?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the replies. It will be mainly for fun with a little bit of work. We don't have mountains around here, mainly playing on logging trails and in the corn fields. Just keeping my eyes open for a project and want to know what to look for. How does the muskeg do in deeper snow?

the older Muskegs were lighter, they had about 1.6 psi in caparison to the wide track machines that get down to .5 psi they are not as good in the snow but we have used them here in Minnesota in the winter. and they do good in our snow. they will not do well in the powder snow. but for crashing through the woods, swamps,brush they do well. with the outer rail we have yet to detrack one. :smile:

DynatracGuy

Bombardier tracked vehicles and parts are now made by Prinoth under "utility vehicles". These are rugged and practical vehicles, from mammoth carriers to dinky Bombi's. I'm very impressed with the one I'm refurbishing. You definitely need the wide track version for swamp or snow use, a psi of 0.68 is typical of them. Same wide tracks are good for all 4 seasons. The D and Double D design provides a small contact area for hard surfaces, should help with ice. My state requires no metal contract when on paved roads, so adding rubber strips to the D portion should be an easy way to meet the regulations. I'll update later after I give it a try.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter

Well, if you're looking at running around in corn fields, BSkurka has a snowtrac he uses for just that purpose.:wink:

when it's not running out of gas, that is:whistling:

:yum:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, when it comes to snowcat operations, B_Shurka is out standing in his field. :rolleyes: