• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pentagon considering foreigners for recruitment

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Full story just went off the news page.

Thoughts about letting foreigners serve in the US military?

Cityboy

Banned
This is nothing new as far as I know. :confused2: I served with guys from South America and Central America who were not yet citizens.

More details?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy said:
I served with guys from South America and Central America who were not yet citizens.
But they had their green-card.

Cityboy said:
More details?
The article on Fox News linked to some Boston paper. Don't know what happened but the Boston link then required a password (so Fox pulled the link).

I did a google search and it came up with this article

Basically, they're thinking of recruiting from other countries and if they serve, they can get US citizenship.

Cityboy

Banned
From the article:

The idea of signing up residents who are seeking U.S. citizenship is gaining traction as a way to address a critical need for the Pentagon, while fully absorbing some of the roughly one million immigrants that enter the United States legally each year.

The proposal to induct more noncitizens, which is still largely on the drawing board, has to clear a number of hurdles. So far, the Pentagon has been quiet about specifics, like who would be eligible to join, where the recruiting stations would be, and what the minimum standards might involve, like English proficiency. In the meantime, the Pentagon and the immigration authorities have expanded a program that accelerates citizenship for legal residents who volunteer for the military.
Since the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the number of immigrants in uniform who have become U.S. citizens has increased from 750 in 2001 to almost 4,600 last year, according to military statistics.

Currently, Pentagon policy stipulates that only immigrants legally residing in the United States are eligible to enlist. There are about 30,000 noncitizens who serve in the U.S. armed forces, making up about 2 percent of the active-duty force, according to statistics from the military and the Council on Foreign Relations. About 100 such noncitizens have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

OK, I have no problem with this concept as long as it is carefully administrated and the backgrounds of these individuals are thoroughly checked and required to be fluent in English. If these people are willing to pay the ultimate price, as many already have in addition to the one's in the article above, then I say give them the chance. So many of our own natural born citizens choose not to serve in the military, and that is a good thing because military life, as you know, is not for everyone.

This could be a very good thing if it is done right.