• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Ultimate RR Snow Cat

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rolls Royce built a Silver Ghost or Phantom I for Lenin around 1925. It was a convertable in the summer, and had Tracks, Skiis parallel to the front wheels that allowed it to be driven on snowy roads, and a winterized convertable top. Some famous painter like Renoir or Dega did a painting of it that is in various art museums. It's Summer, it has the top down and there are a bunch of kids riding in it with Lenin himself at the wheel. There is also an actual photo of this that I believe the painting was made from. I've seen both and read about it in various Rolls Royce books. The car has been in a Museum in Moscow for many years. It was the only one they built, and boy is it a beauty! I'll start looking for Pictures, but if anyone comes across the picture of the car, picture of the car with the kids and driver, or a picture of the painting, the three would make a nice post. They built P1's ( Phantom Ones's) from about 1924 to 1935 and almost exactly as many as ST4's ( about 2300). They sported a 7.6 liter motor that had dual ignition, 2 coils, 2 distributors, 2 plugs per cylender and a central chassis lubrication system, and they ran forever. This was truely the ultimate snow machine.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK I've found a picture of it in the Museum. It's not the best picture of it I've ever seen but it's a place to start. I will attempt to attach it but my guess is that I don't have it compressed enough. I''ve already tried sending a copy to Bob S, maybe he will have better success.

Edit by Bob: Here is the page that Lyndon sent me. . . the photo on the bottom of the page is the RR snow cat.

Attachments

• 1rollsroyce.jpg
    1rollsroyce.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 280

OkeeDon

How about...

110e1b640.jpg

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]"This is an Alpine Eagle conversion for Russian winter roads, said to have been made especially for one Mr. Lenin back in the early '20s. The base vehicle [can you really use that term for a Rolls?] was confiscated from some member of the Russian nobility and equipped with the so-called 'Kregresse drive' -- a hang-on device converting any car to a halftrack 'Kegresse audosledge'. (Adolphe Kegresse, born French, lived in Russia and served as a consulting engineer to one of our former imperial departments. He was the very man behind the later Citroen half-track lories upon returning to his native France [see next pic below].) The car still exists and is kept in one of the still-numerous Lenin museums. RR Silver Ghost was a very popular vehicle amid the motorized Russian nobility, being a well-built and tough chariot, quite capable of withstanding our awful running conditions -- even in winter. The Czar himself had a limo on this chassis. By the way, the original Alpine Eagle tourer was a 1914 model."
(From http://www.prewarbuick.com/features.htm)

Also from the same site:
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Here's the Citroen referred to above:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
123a182c0.jpg

[/FONT]