• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Split Washington State into 2 states? Washington (west) & Liberty (east)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put this here because, while there is some politics behind it, its going to affect the lives of people who live in the mostly rural eastern half of what is currently Washington state. Now I have no clue if this could or would happen, apparently the State Bill is simply asking the Federal government to split the state because the State does not have the authority to do so.

http://kimatv.com/news/local/eastern-washington-lawmakers-file-bill-to-split-state
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) -- Some conservative Eastern Washington lawmakers want to split the state in two, creating a new state east of the Cascade Range known as "Liberty."

The idea is contained in House Joint Memorial 400, sponsored by Republican state Reps. Matt Shea and Bob McCaslin of Spokane Valley and David Taylor of Moxee.
The Spokesman-Review says the idea of splitting from liberal Western Washington has been proposed numerous times in past decades.

Spokane City Council President Ben Stuckart calls it a terrible idea.

The Legislature can't split the state in half. The bill asks the president and Congress to do that.

Congress hasn't created a new state out of an existing state since the Civil War, when West Virginia wanted to stay with the Union and was carved out of Virginia.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
And from a conservative political website, they clearly put their spin on the logic behind it:

http://libertyhangout.org/2017/05/eastern-washington-fed-up-with-marxism-files-for-secession/

Conservatives in Washington have about had it with the state’s rampant Marxism, and are now taking matters into their own hand to reclaim their independence.

Republican lawmakers in the state have filed a bill to secede from Washington and create a new state called Liberty.

The initiative is led by Republican Representatives Matt Shea and Bob McCaslin, from Spokane Valley and Moxee. Though conservatives in Eastern Washington have attempted to split from the liberal state a number of times in the past ten years, they remain hopeful that this time will be their lucky break.

According to KIMAtv, “The Legislature can’t split the state in half. The bill asks the president and Congress to do that.”

If the bill succeeds, this would be an important domino for the secession movement, and help inspire other disaffected communities across the nation to secede. As governments decentralize, power is restored to the individual, and communities can appropriately govern themselves as they see fit, without outside influences. As even our founders recognized, the government which is closest to home is easiest to control.

Should the bill fail, communities ought to learn from their efforts and push forward with their own secession movements anyway. For if their voices are not being heard in the federal and state governments anyway, then what do they have to lose? They only have everything to gain.​

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
It will never happen because the liberals will never let it happen. They are happy with the status quo. Creating what will most likely be two more Republican senators is hardly at the top of their list. They are more concerned with letting in more Democrat voters aka illegal immigrants.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder what it would to do the tax base and rates for the residents on the east side in the new state? Population is on the west side of the current state. Is there enough population, industry, business, etc on the east side of the current state to support a new state budget to service those people? I will plead total ignorance, I've never even been to Washington state.

It will never happen because the liberals will never let it happen. They are happy with the status quo. Creating what will most likely be two more Republican senators is hardly at the top of their list. They are more concerned with letting in more Democrat voters aka illegal immigrants.

I think it probably has to pass at the Washington State level before it would/could officially be considered in Washington DC.

But I do agree that the Democratic Party would oppose this since they have a reliable state and would dilute their power just a little bit, giving 2 Senators to the new state, which is likely to give 1 or 2 to the GOP majority. Not to mention it would also alter the Electoral College, tossing a couple more votes toward the Republicans in most years.

Washington State has roughly 6.7 Million residents, 12 electoral votes. The bulk of the population lives WEST of the Cascades, so just to make it simple, assume 2/3rds - 1/3rd split, that would put 4 Electoral College votes into the hands of the new state of "Liberty" and leave 8 Electoral College votes with the state of Washington.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder what it would to do the tax base and rates for the residents on the east side in the new state? Population is on the west side of the current state. Is there enough population, industry, business, etc on the east side of the current state to support a new state budget to service those people? I will plead total ignorance, I've never even been to Washington state.

I think it probably has to pass at the Washington State level before it would/could officially be considered in Washington DC.

But I do agree that the Democratic Party would oppose this since they have a reliable state and would dilute their power just a little bit, giving 2 Senators to the new state, which is likely to give 1 or 2 to the GOP majority. Not to mention it would also alter the Electoral College, tossing a couple more votes toward the Republicans in most years.

Washington State has roughly 6.7 Million residents, 12 electoral votes. The bulk of the population lives WEST of the Cascades, so just to make it simple, assume 2/3rds - 1/3rd split, that would put 4 Electoral College votes into the hands of the new state of "Liberty" and leave 8 Electoral College votes with the state of Washington.

All correct assumptions IMHO. The Dems would label this a racist, xenophobic move and an attempt to create a white privilege state. I can already hear the Saul Alinsky talking points destroying anyone who attempts to pursue this.

The Dems are the most transparent people on Earth. One can see right through them.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would support this but I might have to move a few more miles east depending on how the line gets drawn.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
In California, there has been a push for years for State of Jefferson; Northern and Eastern counties would split away.

the concept has been around forever, but it has not had as much traction as now.

http://soj51.org/