• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Rewiring for new washer and dryer

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I finally bought a new washer and gas dryer. I want to redo the wiring and install a new outlet on the basement wall (versus keeping the overhead one on the floor joist). Do I need to use a GFCI receptacle, or can I just use a regular receptacle?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty sure it's supposed to be a GFCI.

If you're re-doing the wiring, you may want to consider a GFCI breaker.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty sure it's supposed to be a GFCI.

If you're re-doing the wiring, you may want to consider a GFCI breaker.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The receptacle has to be GFCI protected. Could install a GFCI receptacle or GFCI breaker either one.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
GFCI's have been required in laundry areas since 1975,................. jus sayin

Attachments

• GFCI-Chart1-625x730.jpg
    GFCI-Chart1-625x730.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 28

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Rusty assures me his way provides a nice cozy source of central heating:yum::yum::yum:

But jokes aside don't play with that shit call in a pro to be safe.

Attachments

• electricity extention cords.jpg
    electricity extention cords.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Dryer-Vent-House-Fire.jpg
    Dryer-Vent-House-Fire.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 29

Galvatron

I'm pretty sure many on this forum know how to wire up a receptacle. ;)

And to play it safe i feel the need to advise....you just never know even though i do know JPR is a smart cookie,it would only take a moron to read part thread and all kinds of shit could happen, me included :wink:

Galvatron

To be honest i am not sure on the regulations you have to work with but i can explain mine...

First up any wiring that is new to a property as to be certified for the property , replacing excising can be done by a home owner

each area of the house is on a separate ring so upstairs lights ,downstairs lights, up sockets ,down sockets, bathroom with shower having its own ,kitchen with oven having its own,appliances are on a fused socket of their own, and all run on a separate RCD (An RCD, or residual current device, is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. It can also provide some protection against electrical fires.)

Then any out door power would run to a RCD borad of it's own like i have in the shed ect.

I play it safe and even my utility room as it's own RCD , in short we slap a power breaker to cover all areas of what could happen....any thing with water is a nightmare when attached to electrics.

I think your the same we just call it by a different name....just translate it to proper English and i can help more:brows:

PS...washers,dryers, fridges and freezers and the most common causes of house fires so taking steps to the max in these areas really does pay off.