• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stihl HL-90 extended reach hedge trimmer ~~ WOW!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Picked up a new hedge trimmer on Friday, today was my first chance using it.

All I can say is WOW this thing is GREAT.

The HL 90 model is one of their commercial/professional grade hedge trimmers, its also one of the extended reach models.

The one thing that attracted me to the trimmer was the claim, by Stihl, that it had some sort of anti-vibration technology. Not sure what they did, or how they did it, but IT WORKS. Suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis since the age of 22, the thing that bothers me more than just about anything else is machine vibrations. For that reason I won't use my wife's Echo trimmer, I rarely use my Stihl chainsaw, but this anti-vibration design simply works!

This trimmer has a 48 month warranty when not used in a commercial operation. Its a got a 20" tooth bar, and approximately a 3' shaft between the engine and the toothbar. There is no front handle, you simply grab the shaft anywhere behind the plastic guard. Engine starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull, its not one of their "easy start" models, those are reserved for their consumer models.

The anti-vibration system is amazing. Yes, you feel the shaft spinning but my hand normally has severe tremmors for hours after using a string trimmer or similar device. I do feel something in my right arm, but nothing nearly as bad as normal, if fact its so little that its only a minor annoyance and not the usual pain.

Using the trimmer I held it in every possible direction with the fuel tank up, down, sideways and every imagineable angle and the engine always ran properly with no sign of lack of fuel.

Simply put, this trimmer impresses the heck out of me :clap:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 92

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's the four stroke engine, like my Stihl trimmer has. You still use oil in the gas, but it dosn't seem to rap out nearly as tight as the two strokers do. But it has power to spare in tough going. Funny but it dosen't seem to vibrate much either, although this is not the reason I purchased it. I will have to read up on it...

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, it is a Gas/Oil Mix 4-cycle. That is a new thing to me, I'm not sure if that is why it vibrates less or not, but it has an amazing amount of power for a tiny engine. Even when going through branches that are clearly larger than this thing is intended to cut, on hard wood trees like Hawthorns, it never lagged, coughed or slowed.

One thing that I think might improve this tool is a front loop handle like on a string trimmer. Perhaps they tried it and it just got in the way? I don't know, but I felt several times that a front loop type handle would have come in very handy.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice. I sure could put one of those to work on my property. Thanks for the heads up and the review Bob. :tiphat:

I would think that front loop handle could be ordered from a stihl dealer, just find another of their offerings that has the front loop handle.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The trimmer I have has a split power shaft, and can accept accessories including a power rotating broom and a hedge trimmer as well. It also has the loop handle. Wonder why they left it off yours?? Yes I am thinking they may sell you one if you ask...

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice. I sure could put one of those to work on my property. Thanks for the heads up and the review Bob. :tiphat:

I would think that front loop handle could be ordered from a stihl dealer, just find another of their offerings that has the front loop handle.

Or I could 'borrow' it off of my wife's string trimmer :whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I love this thing!!!

It runs upside down, on its left side, right side and when I spin it like a cheerleader's baton. Never loses power and has enough power to cut through anything it can fit its teeth around without ever lagging or chugging. This thing lays waste to anything I want it to cut and leaves behind a path of destruction for my sister-in-law to pick up and haul away. . . I can create a debris pile faster than she can haul it, and she is a big sturdy woman.

The anti-vibration system works GREAT. I don't know how the heck it works, but it WORKS.

Been cutting back the wild growth from the woods that come up against a 150' run of chain link fence that separates my dogs from the coyotes, raccoons, vermin and varmints. I cut the growth back about every 3 years because its such a pain to do. With this trimmer its still not a pleasure, but it is so much superior to my old Troy Bilt unit that you can't even begin to make a comparison. Biggest problem is my arthritis, I'd still be out there if not for the pain in my shoulder and wrist.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That anti-vibration technology must be something new. My regular Stihl commercial hedge trimmer certainly doesn't have it but it's just a normal 2-stroke. That thing gets to my elbows and shoulders after a while. I do like their 6' pole saw though. It's not what you'd call a joy to use but it sure gets the job done without beating up my tired ol' body too much.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the bad about mine it that that engine is to heavy for the wife. all the attachments are nice. I could use a 25 ft chain saw though.
maybe I should have married a amazon??

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
the bad about mine it that that engine is to heavy for the wife.
I don't recall if the multi-attachment versions have it but is the shoulder strap or harness an option?

I have a Stihl FS-90 which is the same power head but doesn't have the capability of switching attachments. It does have a harness so the weight is about zero on your arms for weight.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just have that engine and a few attachments. i was speaking of the engine performance.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the bad about mine it that that engine is to heavy for the wife. all the attachments are nice. I could use a 25 ft chain saw though.
maybe I should have married a amazon??
as short as you are Jim I could just see that

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a few oppurtunities to use my new trimmer and WOW am I ever impressed. This bad boy can cut through all my multiflora that is over growing onto my trails. Eats it all right up and cuts it back further than I ever have before, so it should be longer before having to trim again. Sure beats the hand held clippers and or the weed eater with cutting attachment. This is the best thing since sliced bread as far as trimmers go. :thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've had a few oppurtunities to use my new trimmer and WOW am I ever impressed. This bad boy can cut through all my multiflora that is over growing onto my trails. Eats it all right up and cuts it back further than I ever have before, so it should be longer before having to trim again. Sure beats the hand held clippers and or the weed eater with cutting attachment. This is the best thing since sliced bread as far as trimmers go. :thumb:
Used mine today too.

But I went after the wild Hawthorne trees with mine. Trimmed branches on about 20 of them, just a small dent in what I have to do. It would have gone faster with a chain saw but the trimmer is heavy enough to cut hardwood branches.

Oh, and did I mention it started up on the first pull of the cord? Tough to beat this thing.

And I'd still like to know how the heck the Anti-Vibration system works.
Normally after using almost any power tool my hands hurt for hours. Not with this tool. Freakin' Amazing!