• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

End of the road for Hummer.......

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You had me scared there for a minute, I'm sure glad your talking about the Hummer vehicles. :D

Yep, just the big one. I thought they quit making those when they came out with the H2 and H3. :pat:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I love the gas guzzeling comments.

The H1 has a DIESEL engine in it and will get better fuel economy than the small (Trailblazer chassis) H3.

FYI H2 is a cross between the 3/4 ton Suburban chassis and shorter Tahoe chassis, the H3 is on the Trailblazer chassis. Off road ability is the same as both of these vehicles, just double the price for the ugly bodywork.

JayC

Huh?
I can't stand the H2 and H3. What pieces of junk. The H1, on the other hand, was really all they had going. Now they kill it. And like Av8r said, it is a diesel. I guess there were some older ones with gas engines, but the majority was diesel. Not only that, if you can afford to actually buy, you can sure as heck afford the gas. I loved the H1. I thought it was one of the coolest things on 4 wheels.:(

HGM

Yep, Ford did the same thing when they bowed to the tree huggers by cancelling the Excursion.. It was available with a diesel and all you ever heard about was the 10MPG V-10... So they axed it... So what are they bringing out to replace it? A smaller 1/2 ton vehicle... It going to be an extended Expedition... Of course they dont have a diesel to go in it yet, so what do you think the fuel average will be with a larger Expedition equiped with a 5.4L V-8?:pat: .... Guess thats why I do what I do and not run a company.. I try to use common sense......

The H-1 was a cool vehicle, I would never buy one simply because its not designed for the street and impractical.. But for an off road vehicle it was awsome.. The H-2 &3 were there just to allow the "keep up with the Jonses" type to do so.. They are just silly..... Reminds me of the kit cars that turn a Fiero into a Ford GT...Never made sense to me..

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Ford got out of the Excursion because they weren't selling enough units to keep them building them. I remember seeing them sitting on dealers lots with heavy discounts and they still were not selling. I had a discussion about them with a wholesaler, and he said that his only market for them was South America and they were dogs on the market there also. The same for the Hummer...... they just can't sell enough to make it profitable to build them. There is no money in building small numbers when you calculate in the cost of the tooling, not to mention the basic assembly and other production costs. That is why GM dropped the Oldsmobile... Too many lines and models to be profitable, and that is why you will be seeing many more brands and models go by the wayside in the future. That is even what happened to the Edsel....... too many other Ford products were available in the market for less money and they couldn't sell enough to develop a market niche. The car appealed to a certain type of person, but not enough to continue production.

HGM

Junkman said:
Ford got out of the Excursion because they weren't selling enough units to keep them building them. I remember seeing them sitting on dealers lots with heavy discounts and they still were not selling. I had a discussion about them with a wholesaler, and he said that his only market for them was South America and they were dogs on the market there also. The same for the Hummer...... they just can't sell enough to make it profitable to build them. There is no money in building small numbers when you calculate in the cost of the tooling, not to mention the basic assembly and other production costs. That is why GM dropped the Oldsmobile... Too many lines and models to be profitable, and that is why you will be seeing many more brands and models go by the wayside in the future. That is even what happened to the Edsel....... too many other Ford products were available in the market for less money and they couldn't sell enough to develop a market niche. The car appealed to a certain type of person, but not enough to continue production.

True, maybe small,but there was a market for them... It was built on an existing chassis and assembly line(Super Duty) so the cost was'nt too far out of line.. I believe the mistake with it was too high of volume and offering it with a gas engine.. If it was limited production with diesel only(no option) the fuel economy(18-20)average would have brought all of the vehicles up... Like I said, I see a market for them, their all over the place here.. Construction crews(needing to keep stuff out of the weather), survey crews, large families who travel, anyone who tows a trailer and doesnt need a pickup bed.. I was sad to see them go away(not that I could justify a $50-60k truck).. The Econoline to me is a useless vehicle, but its sales are booming..

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
HGM said:
............. The Econoline to me is a useless vehicle, but its sales are booming..

That is because another car company also made a stupid mistake and dropped a good selling vehicle. Chrysler/ Daimler dropped the Dodge van in favor of selling the Mercedes vans. They are over priced and very problematic and expensive to maintain. First they were being sold by Freightliner, then C/D took it away from them and gave it to select Dodge dealers. Problem is that neither knew how to repair them, but the Freightliner dealers were more accustomed to servicing diesels. If you purchased one when it was sold by Freightliner, they can no longer service it. The Dodge dealers don't want to service it because it came out before they sold them and they don't understand the vehicle and todays models are differant than those original ones, even though they look alike. It uses mostly standard MB engine and trans, but the MB dealers won't have anything to do with them. The Dodge dealers that don't sell them, don't repair them, so service is difficult to find. It is no wonder that Ford is selling more vans. The worse thing to happen to Chrysler was to have MB buy them.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Knowing several people running them commercially, I can say that the Sprinter vans are head and shoulders beyond the old Dodge vans. I wish they would use that 5 cylinder turbo diesel in other applications (Durango, Grand Cheerokee, 1/2 ton Ram).

They get as good as 27 mpg, for a 1-ton van with dual wheels on the rear, that's incredible.

Service training is just a matter of time.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All I can say is written on the back of this one . . . :whistle:

Attachments

• pic29200.jpg
    pic29200.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 55