• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My wife bought a sculpture for the yard . . .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She claims this is a birthday present for me. It arrived by semi-trailer. They wheeled the pallet out to the liftgate and lowered it onto the street. I was not allowed outside during this process, not even allowed to look out the windows toward the roadway. 7' tall crate wrapped in white plastic. If you can draw a crowd on a remote rural road she managed to do so today, well it wasn't really a crowd so much as it was a few neighbors who stopped to see what the heck we were doing this time.

He stands a full 6' tall and is made of some sort of concrete/resin mix. We still need to name him. We decided its a male. Obviously must have some sort of masculine name.

Attachments

• 1a1.jpg
    1a1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 1a2.jpg
    1a2.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 91

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
The only appropriate name is Aku-Aku. The Easter islanders blame any unfortold situation on their Aku-Aku and built the standing heads to apease them and ward of the Long Ears.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
That is pretty cool looking for sure. I like it.
I'll have to go with Rusty on Tiki Stardust.:yum:

How heavy is that thing? It looks like around 800lbs.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr. Chlorine! Don't pee in my pool.:whistling: I am watching you!
I'm with Muley. I was thinking "The Pisser!" Looks like he's discreetly taking a leak on the other side of the wall. (or maybe not so discreetly.)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
great looking pool, what happened to the above ground one ?????

I spent the summer filling the other pool in with the dirt that was excavated from this one. Took 155 10-wheel dump truck loads of dirt to excavate out the whole area where this new pool sits. Leveled an area behind my workshop, built a new backstop for my target range, built a berm about 150' long along the roadway, and filled in the old pool. It wasn't really an above ground pool, nor was it built in, it was on a hillside and half in, half out of the hill but that was quite a distance from the house and down a steep hill. This new pool is located much closer to the house, I purchased a few acres next to my property and that gave me more room so I could build this pool (it crosses the old property line).

The excavated area was 72 feet north to south, 50 feet east to west with a 6 foot elevation drop from the top of the wall down to the patio.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
How about naming it a reason to seek psychological help for the Misses?

That thing is creepy! I wouldn't want it anywhere near my house...

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Geez Bob, when I read the first few lines of this thread, I thought for sure to see one of those groovy statues of St. Francis, ya know.. holding a bird in his hand?

Well, you've got a fatheaded concrete chunk of art? now to watch over the family poolside activities.
Better than a giant pink flamingo with garden lights attached, or one of those tacky gazing globes.

Has he grown on you yet? :yum:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Darn Bob, I'm not sure if I would thank her or not. :biggrin: Given time I might grow attached to it.

When I was in Nigeria, one of the guys I worked with brought home a a 6' tall, carved wooden statue of a river fertility goddess. His wife had it tossed on the burning pile. She said that after 4 kids, the last thing she wanted around the the place was a damned fertility goddess. :yum::yum::yum: You should have seen the trouble he had getting it on the plane too. Eventually he had to buy it a ticket in coach. :yum:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
The only appropriate name is Aku-Aku. The Easter islanders blame any unfortold situation on their Aku-Aku and built the standing heads to apease them and ward of the Long Ears.

Yup. The first thing I thought was, "Easter Island." Pretty cool.

Attachments

• Easter_Island.jpg
    Easter_Island.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 50

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
When Steven and I went to Teguise, he bought this horribly huge leather mask as a souvenir. I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said he'd think of something.

I came home from work one day after we'd been on holiday to see it on the living room wall above the fireplace, replacing a very loved and folksy painting of the dales.
It soon found it's way to his music room upstairs. lol

D

darroll

LP,

Thats a great idea.
Bring it inside and put it up against his mother-in-laws picture.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, I am Impressed. a small summer project, you should be proud, it looks great.

Well Done

Thanks, that was the biggest single project but there were other related projects that went with that pool/patio/wall/fence. Including a lot of landscaping that is ongoing, putting in a concrete path from the house over to the new pool area, contouring the yard along the new path (much bigger job than it sounds) and the ongoing project of rebuilding and expanding the shooting range/shooting backstop. I'm actually glad that school has started again as I am busier during the school year and that lets me REST from the work around the house!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, that was the biggest single project but there were other related projects that went with that pool/patio/wall/fence. Including a lot of landscaping that is ongoing, putting in a concrete path from the house over to the new pool area, contouring the yard along the new path (much bigger job than it sounds) and the ongoing project of rebuilding and expanding the shooting range/shooting backstop. I'm actually glad that school has started again as I am busier during the school year and that lets me REST from the work around the house!

Bob

More pics? Lots of good stuff going on there.