• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

swags

daedong

Here in OZ swags are very popular particularly among younger folks, My daughter has one and thinks its the best thing since sliced bread. I personally do not use them, I prefer to use a tent and sleeping bag. Do the younger folk use them in the US or is it just an aussie thing?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm thinking we need a cultural translation. The only swags I know of are what the wife hangs on the windows. I'm a guy, I call them curtains, but she says they are different.

daedong

This is a typical style swag but they do come in many different designs, they are made of canvas with a foam mattress and often open up with just a insect screen for hot weather.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Searching I found this in an Australian slang dictionary
Swag : rolled up bedding etc. carried by a swagman
Swaggie : swagman

:confused: It sounds like a sleeping bag to me, but from what you said Vin a sleeping bag is different.

Edit to add:
Vin posted a pic of it while I was posting this.
It looks simple and easier to carry than a sleeping bag and a tent. I can see a market for them, but had never heard of them before.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I think in American English we would call that a bivy sack (which might or might not have a frame), or 'lightweight solo tent'.

Here's one example. I've seen similar ones in Yosemite. http://www.backpacker.com/gear/1181

I think 'swag' is uniquely Aussie English, like Doc said.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter

This is a typical style swag but they do come in many different designs, they are made of canvas with a foam mattress and often open up with just a insect screen for hot weather.
Dang, Vin, those are expensive! (around $350-400 US including mattress.)

I don't think anything sold here is made from real canvas, or has the mattress built in. A separate sleeping bag and roll-up mattress is the norm, whether used in a 'bivy bag', tent, or simply under the stars.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have one. Its basically a single person tent that is vey low and is easy and fast to set up. Its technically a tent but not in my book. No room for gear other than your boots and maybe a very small pack.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
<snip>

Mattresses? MATTRESSES??!! Aussies use mattresses in the outback? That sure is a myth buster. I'm so disappointed that I'm taking down my Paul Hogan poster and probably won't renew my fan club membership. Oh, that reminds me. Gotta get my Bindy fan club dues in the mail...

Yup, ours are called Bivys, normally WITHOUT mattresses.

Also, I associate swag with the little advertising goodies you get from trade show like COMDEX :thumb: It's always a competition in the office to see who can accumulate the most and coolest swag. That kind of swag is a tongueincheek application of definition 3 below.

1 : SWAY 1
2 a : something (as a decoration) hanging in a curve between two points : FESTOON b : a suspended cluster (as of evergreen branches)
3 a : goods acquired by unlawful means : LOOT b : SPOILS, PROFITS
4 : a depression in the earth
5 chiefly Australian : a pack of personal belongings

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Mattresses? What the hell???? Oh wait he said it was for his daughter...... Thats ok then. But who the hell uses a matress in the Outback when camping?