• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Connecting new monitor

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a new widescreen monitor and figured you just plug it in and with the magic of PnP it should work. I connected everything and turned the computer on. The monitor works great. Then I noticed a CD in the box. Do I need to run that software? What exactly is on the CD that would make any difference?

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a new widescreen monitor and figured you just plug it in and with the magic of PnP it should work. I connected everything and turned the computer on. The monitor works great. Then I noticed a CD in the box. Do I need to run that software? What exactly is on the CD that would make any difference?

I'm not an expert, but I think that the CD contains the drivers for the monitor.
If the drivers are already installed on your computer, there is no need for the CD.

Basically, I don't fix what ain't broke.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That's what I thought, it works and I can do all the adjustments so why download the CD?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Like Jimbo ... I never have used the CD that comes with monitors or keyboards or mice. Never seemed to need it.

Turtleman

I've also hooked up many monitors over the years and found any accompanying CD's totally worthless. They either contained duplicate instructions (if there were any in the box to begin with) or how-to-connect gibberish that wasn't needed. HOWEVER, I recently acquired a new 23" Samsung widescreen that came with a Magic Tune CD to permit on-screen monitor adjustments using the mouse. I thought that would be pretty cool until discovering that the CD wouldn't work on Windows 7 64 bit machines! I was, however, able to download the 64-bit version from their website that works perfectly. So … maybe a monitor's CD might be useful if it actually does something useful and works on your machine!

Wee Willy

You can use the monitor without the CD/DVD but it'll be generic which may not be the best for it. Usually the disk install the drivers tailored to the monitor and also install optionally the control center so you can use all the features.

Turtleman

[FONT=&quot]I stand corrected, though in many cases, the generic settings aren't improved upon when the "correct" driver is installed. There shouldn't be a downside; but for the past several years, the computers here have always recognized the right monitors (at least HP and Samsung) without having to install new drivers. [/FONT]

Wee Willy

Darn, I forgot about this thread but you're right. Windows does pretty good about setting up the monitor and the Windows Update will keep it updated and may offer you the option of installing the control center which is pretty convenient.