• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Abrams calls for removal of Confederate faces off Stone Mountain

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Democratic gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams called for the removal of the giant carving that depicts three Confederate war leaders on the face of state-owned Stone Mountain, saying it “remains a blight on our state and should be removed.”

“We must never celebrate those who defended slavery and tried to destroy the union,” Abrams said in a series of tweets posted early Tuesday, a response to the deadly violence sparked by white supremacist groups in Charlottesville, Va.

Removing the faces of Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson would take a monster of a sandblaster and require a change in state law. The Georgia code has a clear mandate for the memorial, saying it should be “preserved and protected for all time as a tribute to the bravery and heroism of the citizens of this state who suffered and died in their cause.”

Lawmakers and civil rights groups have called for the removal of Confederate symbols at the memorial for years. After the 2015 shooting deaths of nine black worshipers by a white supremacist in Charleston, several legislators pushed for a boycott until Rebel flags at the site come down.
Georgia leaders have embraced recent changes to distance the state from its Rebel history.

Gov. Nathan Deal quietly struck Confederate Memorial Day from the state’s official holiday calendar and removed the statue of a segregationist leader from the state grounds. State-issued license plates featuring the Rebel emblem have been altered, though only slightly. Statues and paintings of Confederate leaders in the statehouse are facing fresh criticism. And the state is set to unveil a statue of Martin Luther King Jr. outside the Capitol this month.

Abrams faces state Rep. Stacey Evans in next year’s Democratic primary, and the race has quickly turned testy. She has faced criticism for refusing to rebuke protesters who chanted “support black women” at Evans at a progressive conference over the weekend.

Four high-profile Republicans are in the race, and several were critical of her stance. Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle said the state has taken “great strides” to add exhibits that give a more inclusive view of the Civil War.

“Instead of dividing Georgians with inflammatory rhetoric for political gain,” he said, “we should work together to add to our history, not take from it.”
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/0...oval-of-confederate-faces-off-stone-mountain/

Attachments

• stone-mountain.jpg
    stone-mountain.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 71

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is nuts. Like all lefty nutsies the only way to stop it is to stop it. Giving just a little at a time just moves the bar..

The Taliban have done the same thing in the Mid East with the artifacts of the Christian religion. Now the left is doing the same with our history as a nation. This is a very slippery slope that can lead to revolution and blood shed.

I fear for ur country, as I never have before. :ermm:

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
The Taliban have done the same thing in the Mid East with the artifacts of the Christian religion. Now the left is doing the same with our history as a nation. This is a very slippery slope that can lead to revolution and blood shed.

I fear for ur country, as I never have before. :ermm:

Regards, Kirk

Me too :neutral:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Trust me boys & girls. You have seen nothing yet. Things are going to get very much worse before they get better.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I doubt there was ever even one Confederate soldier who went to battle for the rich Plantation owners. At the beginning, it was about State's Rights and the oppression the northern States had placed on the South. All of the South.

Slavery was, at the time,a contentious issue but,,; The fight was over the application of the Constitution, not slavery.

When the war between the States was over, the Union had won. At the end of it, we had taken or destroyed everything they, the rebelling states, owned. Their property, their economy, a good many of their lives, and their sovereignty. It was proper and honorable that we left them, at least, their heroes.

It is a despicable betrayal that we now, 10 generations and 150 years later, demand the extraction of that as well. The Oppression was of that time. Those people are not enslaved or oppressed today. Therefor, their basis for anger ,,,,; is a LIE.

Though the first to "out law" slavery, the Brits were not the first to do it outright. They outlawed the buying and selling of slaves but not the possession of them. And it continued in their colonies well into the 20th century.

The British had practiced slavery for over 1,000 years, the French, Spanish Germans, Italians and Greeks, even longer. OTOH our young nation matured and abolished it outright and completely after only 70 years. At great cost of life and treasure. But no loss of honor.

America has no reason to feel shame for it's pubescent history,,, with the possible exception of what we are experiencing today.

Last edited:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Erasing the statues and physical emblems of history doesn't change history. Too stupid.

I thought that except for some small pockets, our country had gotten over the Civil War. It was 150+ years ago….. Why bring up resentments by trying to erase the memorials ?

Most well balanced adults know that, somehow or other, they need to make peace with thier past. I thought that our country had done that untill these selfish, stupid, oh-s0-easily offended lib-children came along.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
If left to fulfill their agenda the left will end up burning US history books with references to the civil war. They are working hard to start a revolution and I think it will blow up in their collective faces!!
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I posted this in toon for times but it fits here even better.

From George Orwell's 1984. Loved the book when I read it. It seems so outlandish and far fetched. Now it is actually happening. :(

Attachments

• AreWeLivingInGeorgeOrwells1984.jpg
    AreWeLivingInGeorgeOrwells1984.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 67

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter

Attachments

• 170816-baltimore-confederate-statue-njs-753a_bcf05fe3b46ff95d2f639921fe204b24.nbcnews-ux-2880-10.jpg
    170816-baltimore-confederate-statue-njs-753a_bcf05fe3b46ff95d2f639921fe204b24.nbcnews-ux-2880-10.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 69

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If left to fulfill their agenda the left will end up burning US history books with references to the civil war. They are working hard to start a revolution and I think it will blow up in their collective faces!!
Mike

If the left actually manages to start a new civil war, more than "it" will blow up in their faces.

At 80, not so long ago, I felt that I would not see the coming revolution. Today I'm not so sure.

After 8 years of the left controlling the country, they got soundly defeated at the ballot box, so now it's win at any cost. I'm fairly sure they'll lose this one also.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The way the media is portraying us all as White Supremist's who are the problem is the biggest lie by the National Media to date. The way they have covered the story in Virginia has been a total smear tactic against anyone who is not a liberal. :hammer:

This is exactly why Trump was elected. He will speak the truth about the left, even if it means via Twitter.. And the angst against the left and their media grows even more rancorous, and hateful.

Scary times in America. Keep your powder dry and your arms at the ready. It will get worse before it can get better.

Regards, Kirk

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
By sticking to the left's agenda the all knowing media is themselves endangering their 1st amendment right of a free press. Anyone who disagrees with the left leaning media should call,text or email the advertisers to let them know their feelings about the media they are advertising on. Money talks, BS walks!!
Mike

Edit: What's happening today bears an eerie resemblance to post #9!!

Last edited:

rugerman

Well if Stone Mountain is next, then let's do Mount Rushmore and the Lincoln Memorial next and to keep everybody happy I'm sure there are a few statues of Martin Luther King that could go, you know got to keep everyone smiling.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Erasing the statues and physical emblems of history doesn't change history. Too stupid.

I thought that except for some small pockets, our country had gotten over the Civil War. It was 150+ years ago….. Why bring up resentments by trying to erase the memorials ?

Most well balanced adults know that, somehow or other, they need to make peace with thier past. I thought that our country had done that untill these selfish, stupid, oh-s0-easily offended lib-children came along.

Inflaming hatred is the worst form of politics.

Removing statues doesn't change history. But, I does pander to the rabid left and garners votes. Which is exactly why Ms. Abrams is calling for it.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

General Lee wrote this in 1856 before the out break of the War between the states.

There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil,” Lee wrote back in 1856, in a letter written in response to a speech given by then-President Franklin Pierce.
Lee’s views on race may not be ones we entertain today, but few if any Americans — even those that we rightly hail as
heroes of the emancipation — held opinions we consider appropriate on the matter. As for why he fought for the South, Lee simply believed the United States was, as Rasley says, “an association of sovereign states that could, if they chose, leave it or dissolve it.” After all, as the Declaration of Independence notes, “whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government.” Lee believed his state — and the rest of the South — was simply following the tenets of one of our founding documents.

But this is not why Robert Lee should be remembered have statues standing in his image....

“When Lee surrendered at Appomattox he also signed a parole document swearing upon his honor not to bear arms against the United States or to ‘tender aid to its enemies.’ Lee’s surrender and his immediate parole were essential in preventing the Civil War from continuing as a destructive guerrilla war that would have continued to rend the country indefinitely.”
Lee spent his retirement as the president of Washington College in Virginia (which would be renamed as Washington & Lee) and would urge reconciliation between the North and the South. In his public letters, he urged “all should unite in honest efforts to obliterate the effects of war and to restore the blessings of peace.”

Does this sound like the kind of man who would urge belligerent white nationalists to violence over a statue of him?

Does this sound like the kind of man who would tolerate those who would give succor to the enemies of the United States in the reprehensible, intimidatory way that the vomitous cretins who held aloft the flag of Nazi Germany in Charlottesville this past Saturday did?

Does this sound like a man who would support domestic terrorism
?

Then why do the race baiting progressives want his memory banished?

Because the Progressives want a government that is always right to be elected by a compliant population that doesn't even ask if that is true.

http://conservativetribune.com/trut..._campaign=dailypm&utm_content=libertyalliance

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Trump is standing in the gap right now and confronting the AltLeft for what they are and confronting the Fake Stream Media for it's biased coverage on everything.

What we need right now is every single one of us to get on our knees every day and thank the Lord above for President Trump, otherwise this whole situation would be much worse.

Just imagine how all this plays out with DoucheKit Hillary in the White House and some moron AG running the DOJ. Not a pretty thought, for me at least.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Inflaming hatred is the worst form of politics.

Removing statues doesn't change history. But, I does pander to the rabid left and garners votes. Which is exactly why Ms. Abrams is calling for it.

Abrams is in Georgia. I would guess that the stone mountain remark did not gain a lot of votes

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Abrams is in Georgia. I would guess that the stone mountain remark did not gain a lot of votes

Anyone who has seenit is person cannot but remark at it'sbeauty. Which does not come from a political sense but a sense of the ghosts in stone.

We can tolerate to some degree, the removal from town squares, the artifacts of our nation's great crucible. Where the hard choices were made under the stench of blood and powder.

But this serene sculpture?.....:I think would be a line in the sand. Best not cross it if one wishes to leave Georgia under their own power. But then if one were a committed anarchist, I cannot think of better tinder to start, or perhaps re-start the War Between the States.

It sometimes seems that one is never gonna be over.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
It's a great work of art.
As are the statues. I can only hope that they are in a warehouse and not being melted down.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It's a great work of art.
As are the statues. I can only hope that they are in a warehouse and not being melted down.

Confederate Soldiers, Sailors and Marines, that fought in the civil war, were made USA veterans by and act of Congress in 1957. ,,, USA Public Law 85-425-section 410.
This made all Confederate Army, Navy and Marine Veterans Equal to USA Veterans.
Additionally, Under USA Public law 810 approved by the 17th Congress on May 26,1929, the War Department was directed to erect headstones and recognize Confederate Gravesites as USA "War Grave Sites."
In essence then, when you remove or deface a Confederate statue, Headstone or Monument, you are in fact removing a statue, Headstone, or Monument of a USA VETERAN.
By extension, doing so to the name and honor of a Confederate Soldier, Monument, Headstone, you are insulting a USA veteran.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We need to do away with the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution since they were signed by slave owners. We must do away with Arlington National Cemetery since the land was owned by a slave owner in the South, Robert E. Lee. While we are at it why not get rid of all the people named Washington or Jefferson or Lee since they were all named after slave owners. In a town on Maryland's Eastern shore they have a cannon in front of the courthouse. There is a movement now to get rid of the cannon because it was once owned by a Confederate General. The Cannon was made at the Hanover Furnace in New Jersey for use on the USS Constitution, Old Ironsides. When dose this insanity end?

As Steve Bannon said today, "Give me more". Keep it coming. He dares the left to tear down more statues. The revolution is coming. I could not agree more. Tear em down. Tear them all down. Steve Bannon continued his crusade against what he calls “the race-identity politics of the left,” I just friggin' love this guy. He is awesome.

Last edited: