• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

China to West; go suck face with North Korea

grizzer

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201012090296.html

China envoy: Talk to North yourself

BY NANAE KURASHIGE STAFF WRITER
2010/12/10
Print
Share Article

TKY201012090416.jpg
Cheng Yonghua, China's ambassador to Japan (Yuta Takahashi)

Chinese Ambassador Cheng Yonghua said Japan and its allies should stop relying only on China in resolving problems that arise with North Korea.
In an interview with The Asahi Shimbun on Wednesday, Cheng also raised strong concerns about plans by the government of Prime Minister Naoto Kan to strengthen the defense of the island chain that extends from the south of Kyushu to waters close to Taiwan.
The Kan administration is currently compiling new National Defense Program Outline to be released this month. It is considering the inclusion of an item calling for flexible deployment of the Self-Defense Forces to the islands lying southwest of the main archipelago to counter aggressive moves by China in nearby waters.
"It is dangerous thinking and goes against the spirit of mutual trust to proceed with measures while considering China as a hypothetical enemy," Cheng said.
His comments indicated that bilateral relations could quickly worsen despite Kan's statement after meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao in Yokohama in November that ties with China had returned to the level when he took office in June.
In response to the concerns of many neighbors about China's move into maritime interests in its surrounding waters, Cheng explained that Beijing had no hegemonic intentions.
According to Cheng, the Chinese military's recent moves in those waters were "actions not designed with hostility toward Japan, but simply training exercises. Those actions should not be criticized."
Regarding the September incident in which a Chinese trawler rammed two Japan Coast Guard vessels near the Senkaku Islands, Cheng said: "It is undeniable that (bilateral relations) were severely damaged. It was very regrettable."
He added that the only way to resolve the issue was through dialogue.
Japan along with the United States and South Korea have repeatedly called on Beijing to use its influence on North Korea following the Nov. 23 artillery attack on a South Korean island.
Cheng said, "I cannot understand why whenever something occurs in North Korea the responsibility is always pushed upon China."
He added that the three nations should respond to China's proposal to hold a special meeting of the lead delegates to the six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear weapons development program.
"If they have opinions, they should talk directly to North Korea about it," Cheng said. "Without even coming to the table of dialogue, they should not simply say, 'Let China do it.'"
The following are excerpts of an exclusive interview Wednesday with Chinese Ambassador Cheng Yonghua:
Question: What is your perception of the current state of relations between Japan and China?
Answer: Japan and China are neighbors, and they cannot move anywhere else. With goodwill and sincerity, the two sides have to make efforts to deepen a mutually beneficial relationship based on common strategic interests by standing on a long-term perspective.
Q: In 2004, when a group of Chinese landed on the Senkaku Islands, they were quickly released after their arrest. Do you believe Japan has changed its response?
A: There are such differences. From the Chinese standpoint, the problem will not be resolved if (Japan) takes unilateral measures. There are various diplomatic channels, and they could have made inquiries through Beijing or Tokyo. They have to listen carefully to what the other party has to say and make calm decisions to proceed while considering the larger picture in the bilateral relationship.
Q: Why is there no progress in negotiations on joint development of gas fields in the East China Sea?
A: The recent incident has somewhat shattered the atmosphere. It is necessary to prepare the environment for specific discussions and move forward by seeking points on which the two sides can agree.
Q: What do you think about discussions to change Japan's three principles on the exports of weapons to allow for joint international development and production?
A: I cannot go into specific discussions. However, it is important for Japan to proceed based on its major policy of pursuing a course of peace. China is viewing the issue as a neighbor as well as from a standpoint based on the unfortunate history between the two nations.
Q: Why has the Chinese government asked other nations to skip the ceremony for the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo, the pro-democracy activist?
A: The award decision was very slanted and prejudiced. He is a criminal currently imprisoned in China. How crimes are determined is a domestic issue for all nations. Giving an award to a criminal in China must be described as a political gesture.
Q: Japan, the United States and South Korea are calling on China to make a more serious response to North Korea's artillery attack against South Korean territory.
A: I believe it is regrettable that fatalities, particularly civilian victims, arose as a result of the incident. However, what is even more important is to not further escalate the situation. There is a need to establish a table of dialogue as soon as possible and to begin discussions. If they have opinions on North Korea, they should present them at such a forum. The North Koreans also have many things they want to say.
Q: What do you think about the view that there are limits to the influence China has over North Korea?
A: The relationship between China and North Korea has traditionally been one of friendship. To interpret that as though we may or may not have influence is itself a slanted view.
One principle of China's diplomacy is to not interfere in domestic matters. While we will say what must be said to even our allies, we will never tell them what to do. We will not intervene in the domestic politics of another nation.
Q: Is not the Yasukuni Shrine issue a domestic matter for Japan?
A: While there may be many people in Japan who believe it is a domestic matter, the problem is that Yasukuni Shrine memorializes those who were responsible for leading the invasion of China.
From the standpoint of the feelings of the Chinese people as well as the victims, this simply cannot be dealt with as though it were a domestic matter.
Q: What is your forecast for the future of Sino-Japanese relations?
A: It was very important that meetings could be held in Brussels and Yokohama (between Chinese leaders and Prime Minister Naoto Kan). While no specific meetings have yet been decided, I am confident that exchanges at various levels, including among the leaders, will occur next year.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is this another way of saying they have no issue with N. Korea's actions of late? :eek:

Or are they simply feeling their oats (aka power) and flipping S. Korea, Japan and the USA off? I suppose it's a combination of both, but either way it's not good for the rest of us.

Alonzo Tubbs

Carpe Diem
SUPER Site Supporter
I wonder if it isn't an acceptence of reality. They have, for years, kept North Korea (NK) alive by defusing potential bombs which would/could lead to the distruction of NK. In this case, NK has become so belligerent it appears likely they have gone too far; they are relying on China's might to prevent their destruction. The last time China interviened militarily to save NK, it cost them over a million troops. Is China willing to make such a sacrifice again? I sure hope not and I hope China has told NK they are on their own.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you are more right than my speculation Lonzo. :thumb:

I thought China would sit back and jump in at the wrong time if they did not agree with any actions against N. Korea.

grizzer

Obama pulls USS Truman out of the persian Gulf:
http://debka.com/

I believe this is part of a coordinated effort by the global leftists Russia, China etc. to continue to shrink the US footprint, because of Obama's weakness in foreign policy and now his domestic disasters as well.

They know anti-colonial Obama will not attack first. And opportunists are making the most of it.