• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Does anyone recognize this gear box???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I need help !! I am trying to put a brand name on this right angle gear box . Does anyone recognize it ??? It has the number WA67-01B stamped on it . No name !!! This is out of my snowcat . Here is a picture of the gear unit and how the two gear units mounts in the case .

Attachments

• Right angle gear box 008.jpg
    Right angle gear box 008.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 498
  • Right angle gear box 001.jpg
    Right angle gear box 001.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 479

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen, are you familiar with W.W.Grainger company? We bought several various gear boxes from them for our conveyor systems in our building. They have (or at least had) an amazing selection of gear boxes, you may end up with a different brand that does the same thing?

Other than that possible suggestion, I have no clue. . . unless you go to a very good machine shop and have them fabricate new parts to replace the worn ones.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Allen, are you familiar with W.W.Grainger company? We bought several various gear boxes from them for our conveyor systems in our building. They have (or at least had) an amazing selection of gear boxes, you may end up with a different brand that does the same thing?

Other than that possible suggestion, I have no clue. . . unless you go to a very good machine shop and have them fabricate new parts to replace the worn ones.

Good Morning Bob ,
I already have been to Grainger . I know I have seen this type of gear box before but do not remember where .I am pretty sure both these units are rebuilt already or replacements . The red primer coating is a "dead give away" .
The units are fine , it is that damn u joint that is welded on that is driving me nuts . If the oil seal is bad or ever goes bad on the gear box , there is no way to change it . I wish the guy who welded this u joint on had that welder shoved up his Arse<---( English for ASS!!!) .
This is not a kristi built part , that I am sure of . I just got to find a name .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it is just the welded on U Joint, can't you take it to a good machine shop and have them very carefully cut it off? They could then reshape the shaft, mill out anything that needs milling, or simply make a new output shaft so that you can properly attach a new U Joint.

I recently took a mechanical box cutter to my friendly neighborhood machine shop, the cutter is circa 1965 and the company no longer exists. I now have a newly milled shaft, a new motor (from Grainger) and they replaced simple brass bushings with Timkin bearings so I won't have to replace the bushings every couple of months. A good machine shop can pretty much do anything . . . for a price.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
If it is just the welded on U Joint, can't you take it to a good machine shop and have them very carefully cut it off? They could then reshape the shaft, mill out anything that needs milling, or simply make a new output shaft so that you can properly attach a new U Joint.

I recently took a mechanical box cutter to my friendly neighborhood machine shop, the cutter is circa 1965 and the company no longer exists. I now have a newly milled shaft, a new motor (from Grainger) and they replaced simple brass bushings with Timkin bearings so I won't have to replace the bushings every couple of months. A good machine shop can pretty much do anything . . . for a price.

Yep! I agree 100 % . I think at this point that may be my only option . I just can't stick this gear unit back in this way ,even though it works fine ! I have spent too much time making everything right that was f#*ked up from Kristi or the idiots that have worked on it in the past . If I can not depend 100 % on this machine when I am done restoring it ,I do not want it .

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
If I can not depend 100 % on this machine when I am done restoring it ,I do not want it .
Ohhh Ohhh, pick me, pick me!!! :wave: :wave: :wave:

Can I have it if you don't find a new gear box? :coolshade

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Why not just do away with those chancy gearboxes & totally convert it to hydro drive ? A few $ 1000's spent at surplus center should do it. You could buy 4 of everything you need 2 of so you could have spares for the next 20 years or so. With the $$ you'll be saving on fuel this summer by not using it , at today's prices, not buying 6 months of fuel should about do it.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I learned something today:thumb: . I cut two lines lengthwise with the splined shaft on the ujoint using a disc grinder . I did not cut all the way to the spline gear shaft itself but stopped short . I got a V shaped cold chisle and inserted it in the cut . Rapped it with a small ball ping hammer and the two halfs of the ujoint popped right off . The u joints from Spicer are cast iron !!! The spline shaft is fine other than at the front areas they attempted to weld. That will not affect the perfomace .The inside of the ujoint was spun out and no splines were left in it . So I am off to get two new spicer ujoints ,bearings, seals and I am back in business !!!

Sorry Big Boom , I'm keeping it now !!!:thumb: