• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WA state Track party/snow cat jamboree 2014

Tye one on

So here we go! Snow cat jamboree 2013 was a huge success and we are looking forward to doing again next year. As we gather all the specifics we will post here for the event in 2014. Post here if you are interested and we will keep you updated as we go. Thanks.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would like it a little later in the season maybe pre iditarod by a week or 2 but not so soon after christmas, as i will have a large investment in plane tickets.

Tye one on

i would like it a little later in the season maybe pre iditarod by a week or 2 but not so soon after christmas, as i will have a large investment in plane tickets.

We will do our best but the end of January to mid February seems to be the magic time to avoid no snow in early season and avalanche danger in later February early march. This of course could change but it will be very close to the date it was on this year. Hope it works for you.

Tye one on

better location to get more involved

As for location we will be doing it at the same spot as this year, Leavenworth WA. The location was picked for a number of reasons and it turns out they were all good ones. We have more terrane to cover in the area we left from and the town has much to offer during the times we are not in our cats. There will be some changes but for the most part the Der Ritterhoff hotel was very good to us as well as Bert the property owner where we staged before the trip. I'm sure I'm speaking for a few others here in the Pacific NW, we would love to have someone plan something somewhere else so we could see some other country. You wouldn't regret the trip, hope to see you next year.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We made a good impression on everyone. I have the forest officers adress that was on site and he was satified with everything in the morning. The hotel provided rv parking if a room wasn't in your buget.
you already have a banner that belongs to every jamboree.

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there someone out there that teaches cat safety in the back country who might be EXCITED to "work with the Snow Cat Jamboree" ? This could be an additional draw to the event if the class was held in conjuction with the Jamboree. Cat operators could come for classes and attend the Jamboree at the same time .
Just a thought to increase attendance for both attractions . The classes could be 100% seperate from the Jamboree but held near or at the same time . I hear the operator class reduces the insurance costs for companies operating snow cats .

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is there someone out there that teaches cat safety in the back country who might be EXCITED to "work with the Snow Cat Jamboree" ? This could be an additional draw to the event if the class was held in conjuction with the Jamboree. Cat operators could come for classes and attend the Jamboree at the same time .
Just a thought to increase attendance for both attractions . The classes could be 100% seperate from the Jamboree but held near or at the same time . I hear the operator class reduces the insurance costs for companies operating snow cats .

What exactly are you talking about when it comes to actual safety class...

I'm sure we can come up with something in the midth of all the "brains" in the forum, since I believe everyone has something to share as far as experience.

As far as next year though, God willing, I'm definitely coming and would love to join everyone on the run.

This could be very similar to something that we do with our local Jeep club, where we could possibly contact some vendors that would love to take part in this for a day, and may be display some of their own gear.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maine has a groomer saftey DVD and test that I have done

But Maine is on the wrong side of the country....

I sence that some of the Eastern members would like a shot at a snow cat jamborie.......

I think some of you guys/gals in Maine should do something about that.:whistling:

Regards, Kirk

We will do our best but the end of January to mid February seems to be the magic time to avoid no snow in early season and avalanche danger in later February early march

After a life time of climbing and skiing in the Cascades, after sufficient snow falls, I don't thing there is a predictable time frame with minimal avalanche danger. Chinooks and other crust causing events can happen all over the calendar, with resultant releases.

Large slab releases seem more common in late winter, but there is certainly danger prior to that.

The route to the summit seemed very safe with the possible exception of just prior to the summit, crossing a slide slope which could be dangerous if very very heavily loaded

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
After a life time of climbing and skiing in the Cascades, after sufficient snow falls, I don't thing there is a predictable time frame with minimal avalanche danger. Chinooks and other crust causing events can happen all over the calendar, with resultant releases.

Large slab releases seem more common in late winter, but there is certainly danger prior to that.

The route to the summit seemed very safe with the possible exception of just prior to the summit, crossing a slide slope which could be dangerous if very very heavily loaded

All good points K/R One thing that we should all remember just because you take your cat out dosent mean you have to go all the way ! Know when to turn around or back down . The snow Cat Jamboree was LUCKY this year !!!! Lucky ..... We all take the risk of sliding snow breaking trees or in my case a truck that blew the transmission . Preperation and an optional plan due to weather or break down cant be stressed enough .

At the Snow Cat Jamboree location this year we had an optional route should there had been major snow ! We also had sleds to shuttle someone out in case of a health problem .
Those slab avalanches are nasty and some times tough to predict . This is one subject that would make for a great class at the next Snow Cat jamboree .:biggrin: Anyone out there want to step up and offer to teach it ?

Tye one on

Were you there?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
well i will have to start saving now i guess. as for location i once suggested Big Al's ranch as we could run all around his fields, there is a ready supply of rum for those that drink and a good supply of krustys for a krusty crushing contest.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
I sure enjoyd being able to choose from many hotels and restaraunts while in Leavenworth . Not to mention my wife loves to shop and there are several stores to choose from.
The theme of Leavenworth with all the christmas lights made for a great atmospher ! Even though I didnt make to the grocery store to buy food Leavenworth has a huge store with low prices .
The other attractive part of Leavenworth is there's so much more to do there . Parking at the trail head was great plenty of room .

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
At Big Als ranch you have the cooking of the lovely Mrs Al but there won't be any waffles and baco on the menu as she has The Big Guy on a diet.

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
At Big Als ranch you have the cooking of the lovely Mrs Al but there won't be any waffles and baco on the menu as she has The Big Guy on a diet.

Can you post a map of Big Als location :flowers:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i just was sent more pictures of 2013 jamboree.
L1030085.jpg

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
What exactly are you talking about when it comes to actual safety class...

I'm sure we can come up with something in the midth of all the "brains" in the forum, since I believe everyone has something to share as far as experience.

As far as next year though, God willing, I'm definitely coming and would love to join everyone on the run.

This could be very similar to something that we do with our local Jeep club, where we could possibly contact some vendors that would love to take part in this for a day, and may be display some of their own gear.

Can you put something together ? Im sure people would be intrested in attending your class if you put one together !

Mog1218

As I mentioned to many of you while we were attending jamboree in 2013 I was also planning a gathering in Leavenworth,WA for owners' of Haflinger trucks.

Well we had the event last weekend we also used the Der Ritterhof as our base and it was a great success. I learned many things from the success of your 2013 Jamboree. Thank You.

We also traveled North from Eagle Creek Road and I can provide lots of trail/road knowledge I gained. I look forward to seeing everyone at the 2014 Jamboree.

Scott

Attachments

• DSC03254.jpg
    DSC03254.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 1008454_10151435730756277_47265544_o.jpg
    1008454_10151435730756277_47265544_o.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 1040440_4955043840740_2070080064_o.jpg
    1040440_4955043840740_2070080064_o.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 335
  • 934946_4955040000644_744154011_n.jpg
    934946_4955040000644_744154011_n.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 1025436_4955033120472_1735024729_o.jpg
    1025436_4955033120472_1735024729_o.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 343

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
those little trucks are kind of cool are they street legal or do you have to use them like an off road vehicle only also what does one weigh.

Mog1218

They are really cool. They are street legal and have been registered for road use in the states since 1960. They weigh around 1300 lbs and haul around 1100 lbs.
In August there is an event in Oregon which many owners attend.
See http://www.northwestmogfest.com/ for more information.

They even made snowcat version called a Schneewiesel.

those little trucks are kind of cool are they street legal or do you have to use them like an off road vehicle only also what does one weigh.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqEOKikE6Z2g1q6gBOn9fPpz)w~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKikE6Z2g1q6gBOn9fPpz)w~~60_12.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 331
  • $(KGrHqMOKjUE6Md,-cNJBOn9fzDNWw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKjUE6Md,-cNJBOn9fzDNWw~~60_12.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 324
  • $(KGrHqYOKjQE6V)lyHzGBOn9fFbZ8g~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqYOKjQE6V)lyHzGBOn9fFbZ8g~~60_12.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 331
  • $(KGrHqEOKiUE6UoeOU1QBOn9eqD1R!~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqEOKiUE6UoeOU1QBOn9eqD1R!~~60_12.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 320

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
that's a cool little truck how hard are they to find parts for or to find one in good shape. a set of 27 inch terra tires and I bet that would go any place a quad would