• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The End of Government

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
When the crisis in the public finances is over, should the Government buy everyone a garden? Or an allotment, at least? There is a close correlation between having a garden and being happy. By asking two Nobel laureates, Joseph Stiglitz and Amartya Sen, to think about how to encode well-being in policy, Nicolas Sarkozy, the French President, has raised this fundamental question: what is the end of government? Precisely, is it a function of the State to promote the happiness of its citizens? The politicians, philosophers and clerics who assembled in Rennes yesterday to discuss the idea certainly think so.

They are not alone. There has been a surge in the economics of happiness in the United States and Britain too ever since, in 1974, Richard Easterlin pointed out that people in advanced capitalist societies were getting richer but no happier. In Britain, Richard Layard and Andrew Oswald have written in a similar vein and the psychologist Oliver James has gone one step farther by claiming that getting rich is liable to make us ill.

The implication for policy is that, once basic needs are met, governments should abandon a narrow focus on economic growth or gross domestic product (GDP). They should, instead, define collective wellbeing and seek policies that promote happiness. The Department for Children, Schools and Families recently introduced wellbeing classes. David Cameron has expressed some interest in GWB (gross wellbeing).

It is not silly to enrich the dry arithmetic of GDP with a concern for the satisfaction of human lives. The World Bank has succesfully pioneered the human development index, which ranks nations according to their social as well as economic achievements. Freedom, in other words, is an important part of development.

But that does not mean that it makes sense for governments to set up happiness as their sovereign objective. Happiness is notoriously elusive. No felicific calculus has yet been devised, and nor will it ever be, that captures the subtlety of human wellbeing. If one man gains a wealth of happiness at the expense of the violation of the rights of another, this counts as fine by the standard of the strict happiness utilitarian. Besides, most of the things that make people happy are either beyond the control of government (a happy marriage) or politically dubious (living in homogenous communities). The most recent data shows, in fact, that people do tend to get happier as they get richer, so perhaps the traditional objective of economic growth is not so narrow and dry after all.

There is a more fundamental reason why government policy ought not to be directed at happiness. There is more to life than that. There are many forms of life — monastic devotion, public service, freedom fighter — in which the pursuit of happiness is a subsidiary value, if it appears at all. The realms of art and literature would be hugely impoverished if nobody were ever miserable. “Happiness,” as Montherlant wrote, “writes white.”

Precisely because human life is prolifically diverse, the history of Utopian politics is littered with offences against freedom by people who thought they knew what the people really wanted. The economics of happiness invariably leads to the politics of paternalism. The happiness gurus would be better off starting with Aristotle’s generous account of flourishing, an idea that implies people choosing their own life course. If politicians need a single objective — and it is not obvious that they do — then setting the people free is a lot better than forcing them to be happy.

http://libertariancommonsense.blogspot.com/
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/leading_article/article7078083.ece

Bamby

But that does not mean that it makes sense for governments to set up happiness as their sovereign objective. Happiness is notoriously elusive. No felicific calculus has yet been devised, and nor will it ever be, that captures the subtlety of human wellbeing. If one man gains a wealth of happiness at the expense of the violation of the rights of another, this counts as fine by the standard of the strict happiness utilitarian. Besides, most of the things that make people happy are either beyond the control of government (a happy marriage) or politically dubious (living in homogenous communities). The most recent data shows, in fact, that people do tend to get happier as they get richer, so perhaps the traditional objective of economic growth is not so narrow and dry after all.

So much about true happiness is in reality a state of mind. An item that provides and brings about true happiness in one individual may actually be looked down upon and perceived as total junk by another. In reality who are we to actually judge what provides another's happiness? Are we so caught up in our materialism we should feel privileged and above others because we've managed to obtain or own something we perceive as better than someone else's? Or maybe it's resentment because they've managed to also enjoy something comparable without the payment book.

About Redneck Pontoon Boats

You know a lot of people kind of look down upon old decrepit beat up boats. Sometimes I find myself in a sense envying them at times. I mean what harm can a person really do to anything that’s already beat up on every corner already? I guess the reason I’m feeling that way is because of the condition of life I’ve found myself in these days. A few years back we found and purchased a brand new pontoon boat for ourselves thinking we’d be happy and satisfied with it for many years to come. Well as it often happens our priorities changed and we found another boat that now better suits and fits our current needs. Now I’m stating here and now that there’s nothing wrong with our previous dream boat at all. But the fact is it is now considered a used boat and being used and with the state of the economy as it is now nobody wants to give us enough for it to even make the payoff on the note that’s still being held on it.

This boat has cost us $52.00 a week year round since we’ve owned it just to meet and make the payments on her. And living as far north as we do we can actually only use the boat about 5 months out of the year or should I say 20 weeks. So now we have $135 a week invested for the time period we can actually make use the boat. Since unfortunately we don’t own or could afford riverfront or lake front property and the Marina is so far from home we can only actually use the boat on the weekends during the boating season. Now we’re down to about 40 days of actual boating per a boating season at a cost of $67.50 per day. Considering that we’ll probably lose five weekends or more due to bad weather or other commitments in reality we’re now down to 30 actual days of boating at a cost of $90.00 a day. Plus there’s the cost of full coverage insurance that’s required by the note holder, and the reoccurring maintenance and upkeep required to keep your investment in good shape and running condition and you’ve easily went over $100 dollars a day for actual use now. Since so much of our boating time was spent either floating or beached in a sandbar there is actually only a few hundred hours on the motor itself. I don’t even want to know what it actually cost us per actual running hour of use, because the numbers would be to sickening for me to digest here.

This post really is not actually meant to be tears in my beer post, but maybe more of a reality check. We purchased the boat right, and it actually was a fair price at the time of our purchase. So if you’re thinking about purchasing a new boat for yourself, you should consider how fast your investment is going to depreciate should you decide or need to sell it for any reason. Or if you’re looking at used boats that have been obviously well cared for, please don’t be totally brutal and insulting with insanely low-ball offers to the boat owner. Sure we all want a deal on our purchases that we make, but that really shouldn’t include someone feeling they’d just been raped or insulted should it. Maybe that’s the reason I find myself envying these guys after all, because they actually spend a lot of quality time on the water and it’s obvious they don’t have a payment book.

Redneck pontoon boat.jpg

Some good old boys (Maybe Rednecks) enjoying the afternoon on the Muskingum River and would do anything to help you if you actually needed it.

After all is boating an image you must maintain, or just an experience to enjoy and share with others. Only you can answer this question for yourself, but there’s still plenty of room for everyone to experience the enjoyment being on the water. After all maybe all those rednecks in their beat up old boats have their ducks in a row after all because they are enjoying totally carefree boating without worrying about damaging or deprecating their boating investment.

How about a few about the serious and real side of a true Redneck:

If I had to stand before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd choose a half dozen or so rednecks to back me up. Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit -- that's what rednecks are made of. I hope I am one of those.

If you feel the same, pass this on to your redneck friends. Ya'll know who you all are.

You might be a redneck if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, ‘One Nation Under God'

You might be a redneck if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You might be a redneck if: You still say ' Christmas' instead of 'Winter Festival.'

You might be a redneck if: You bow your head when someone prays.

You might be a redneck if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

You might be a redneck if: You treat our armed forces veterans with great respect, and always have.

You might be a redneck if: You've never burned an American flag, nor intend to.

You might be a redneck if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You might be a redneck if: You respect your elders and raised your kids to do the same.

You might be a redneck if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend.

In closing here, yea I guess I truly am a redneck and I'm getting to the upper red on my neck of government, politicians, and anyone else who's determined to take what little I manage to get a-hold of and spend it as they see fit. When they manage to learn to live within their means and stay out of my pocket's, influencing and telling me how I should think, maybe I'll again find happiness.