• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Steering To The Right

SnowTrac Hunter

Tried going up a steep hill and had to gear down. Then the rig started veering to the right and make a god awful noise. Managed to track back and forth until I could get on level ground. Steered fine after that. Not sure if my drive gears are worn on that side or what was going on.

Any comments???:unsure:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
this is your st4? Did you notice the location and sound of the noise? How loose is your right track?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wonder if it is jumping teeth on the drive sprocket? Dozers will do that also when the sprockets are worn and you turn hard.

SnowTrac Hunter

Yes Jim It was my ST4. It steers fine on flat ground. I have not ruled out the variator, but I think it could be my track sprocket. It would not steer to the left until I got back on the flat ground. It is really running great other than that one problem.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
On a steep climb I have trouble turning but eveything sounds normal.I just bump the throttle and it turns. I never had any variator problems other than a greasy belt slipping so I don't have any experiance on it.
A skipping sprocket would be a poping sound . I run loose tracks and I get the sprocket skip but only on a steep downhill when I brake.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Joe,

The drive gears have a flat area at the top of each tooth when new. As they wear this flat area decreases in size untill the tops of the teeth are pointed, and none of the flat is left. Then, as the points wear they get shorter and shorter. My drivers are worn down to the point I have a new set here ready for installation. Jim is right, the noise you should have heard was a popping noise. If you were slipping the gear at a good clip, this noise could sound like something tearing or grinding I suppose. You should be able to do a manuver at a slow speed and then maybe it would just pop like you would expect....

I am always watching the bearing holders in the variator that move the sheeves. The torrington bearings under each are uncaged balls, and I am always worried about them eating up the sheeve surfaces if the are bad. They are usually over greased, but if they are not greased, they can become an issue in a hurry IMHO. Not to hard to tear it down for a look on the passenger side. It is the one I have issues with as the grease tube to this bearing under the sheeve is torn in two. You wouldn't notice this untill you fallow the line with your had back up under the sheeve set. The bearing holder is free to float, and will try tuning a little bit in use. In my case the old fabric covered grease line couldn't take the torque and failed. Now I simply turn the bearing holder till the inlet can be reached by the torn end of the hose and slide it on the tube, and hold it there while I grease it. The other side is a bit more work to tear down, but worth the effort if needed. This bearing on the drivers side has no grease tube at all, as it is on top, and in plain sight. Hope this makes sence....

Hope you figure it out.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

SnowTrac Hunter

Mine are pointed and worn pretty badly. I think it is time for some new UHMW replacements. I am hoping that it is just the sprocket, and it was a popping noise.