• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

diesel electric

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Alot of the Uke's in mines are are diesel over electric and have been for years and the dragilnes are too.

With the regeneration of the traction motors it puts power back on the electrical bus for other uses.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
High voltage, even DC and water/snow are an issue, wonder how they are dealing with this? 740 Volts is HIGH. Electricity can kill if your not carefull...

Dielectric Rubber boots, THICK ones...And gloves.

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
the wife parked her mercury hybrid next to the snow trac the other day and got me a little curious. I have seen pictures of VW converted to all electric.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk you are right how ever like previously posted mine haul trucks have been that way for years and cat is now building a dozer that way too those 2 applications you will see slogging around on wet ground all the time. diessel electric goes all the way back to the tiger tanks in ww 2 at the time diesel electric wasn't verry reliable and that was part of the down fall of the tiger tank.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
3Ke3Mf3J75I55G45J4d3222bbc9c0cdb314d7.jpg
this VW is on craigs now.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3654964219.html

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now we need light weight batteries and an electric Snow Trac could be born....:whistling::unsure::unsure:

Or not?:unsure:

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you wouls still have to burn fuel for heat as you don't want to burn batterys for heat

jess_snocat

I use to drive and work on a letourneau log stacker, It was a diesel electric machine. 350HP motor ran an AC and a DC generator. DC was used for the drive motors and the AC was for everything else. It would pick 100K+ most highway logging trucks can haul 80K. It was very dependable and best of all no hydraulic oil yea! The stacker I ran wasn't very fast, had to be thinking way ahead of the machine but was very powerful. I could crowd the machine into a deck of logs and spin the tires 4 wheel drive and weighing in about 150k+ total. The newer machines have only an AC generator rectified through SCR to drive dc motors, Very efficient. Oh, my machine was a submarine I went into the water about 8’ deep. If this PistenBully 600 E+ is a hybrid, I don't think it would work very good. Hybrids in industrial equipment have a long way to go in my opinion.

Attachments

• Leturno.jpg
    Leturno.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 230
I use to drive and work on a letourneau log stacker, It was a diesel electric machine. 350HP motor ran an AC and a DC generator. DC was used for the drive motors and the AC was for everything else. It would pick 100K+ most highway logging trucks can haul 80K. It was very dependable and best of all no hydraulic oil yea! The stacker I ran wasn't very fast, had to be thinking way ahead of the machine but was very powerful. I could crowd the machine into a deck of logs and spin the tires 4 wheel drive and weighing in about 150k+ total. The newer machines have only an AC generator rectified through SCR to drive dc motors, Very efficient. Oh, my machine was a submarine I went into the water about 8’ deep. If this PistenBully 600 E+ is a hybrid, I don't think it would work very good. Hybrids in industrial equipment have a long way to go in my opinion.

Are those electric motors I see on the hoists?

nikos

kirk you all right.
An Electric Snow trac just born on our mind.:cool2:
But first
A) WHAT kind of materials we have to use (Ok Batteries- electric moter etc), and
B) HOW we have to construct the all project?

Regards nikos

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Perhaps Boeing surplus will have some lightweight batteries for sale soon...
oh, wait....