• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Custom Rear cab build - Soft top or Aluminum?

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As some of you might be following my build thread, you would know that I'm in process of working on the cab space.

So dilemma is simple - do I go soft top (same sturdy material as used on semi-truck trailers), or I go with Aluminum.

FYI

Aluminum Sheet 4 x 8, 1/16 thickness is about $75/ea
Soft Top material is $25/sq.yd.

In my case, cab is roughly about 5ft x 5ft, putting me into the 125 sq.ft. area that will need to be covered up.

roughly 4-5 aluminum sheets - $300-375 cost

roughly 14 sq.yds - $350 (soft top material only, not counting any zippers/tabs/fasteners which will run up to $100 more depending on what you would do)

So at this point - costs are very similar... thus its a matter of personal preference I guess...

My point is to get some opinions SOFT vs Aluminum as your personal experiences have shown.

p.s. my personal point - Aluminum is simple - cut it and fasten it, while soft top material, little more labor required - sewing it together from scratch.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i think i would go aluminum as once it's done you don't have to monkey around with it the soft top material will eventualy wear out usualy the windows are first to go. the canvas top may be a bit lighter the hard top can be insulated. option 3 did you check with a local plastics shop see what it would cost to have a fiber glass top made up. some thing like a jeep top would be warm seal good last forever and could be removed

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i think i would go aluminum as once it's done you don't have to monkey around with it the soft top material will eventualy wear out usualy the windows are first to go. the canvas top may be a bit lighter the hard top can be insulated. option 3 did you check with a local plastics shop see what it would cost to have a fiber glass top made up. some thing like a jeep top would be warm seal good last forever and could be removed

Fiberglass tops arent really a specialty for anyone here that I know of...

and aluminum seems just better in the long run.

Just picked up 5 sheets from the local supplier, went with the .050 gauge (something a bit less that 1/16th).

Time to get that cat going, since its already started to snow up in Cascades, seems like we gonna hit first foot of snowfall this winter by this weekend... :)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
As some of you might be following my build thread, you would know that I'm in process of working on the cab space.

So dilemma is simple - do I go soft top (same sturdy material as used on semi-truck trailers), or I go with Aluminum.

FYI

In my case, cab is roughly about 5ft x 5ft, putting me into the 125 sq.ft. area that will need to be covered up.

roughly 14 sq.yds - $350 (soft top material only, not counting any zippers/tabs/fasteners which will run up to $100 more depending on what you would do)

So at this point - costs are very similar... thus its a matter of personal preference I guess...

My point is to get some opinions SOFT vs Aluminum as your personal experiences have shown.

p.s. my personal point - Aluminum is simple - cut it and fasten it, while soft top material, little more labor required - sewing it together from scratch.

I would do the aluminum it is available in 5 foot widths to 20 feet long
Colored also but not that big

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I kind of like the idea of a hard top but soft sides. For nicer days or even other season use on long grass it would allow for airflow. A double or triple thick fabric would hold in a good deal of heat in the winter (I've had several convertible cars that have been very comfortable on even the coldest days)

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I kind of like the idea of a hard top but soft sides. For nicer days or even other season use on long grass it would allow for airflow. A double or triple thick fabric would hold in a good deal of heat in the winter (I've had several convertible cars that have been very comfortable on even the coldest days)

I totally see your point on the soft sides...

Well, in my case it will be front & rear soft doors, which in turn will give it plenty air circulation to start with. Once everything settles and I find some proper size sliding windows, i'll put those in as well.

At this point, seems like cheapest and most useful way to go for windows, is to use canopy side windows.

Nikson,

I bought some used rv windows, they are affordable and often have a screen and sliding window for circulation. Look great as well. Many options and sizes on ebay for example.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nikson,

I bought some used rv windows, they are affordable and often have a screen and sliding window for circulation. Look great as well. Many options and sizes on ebay for example.

I've looked at that option, didnt like the shipping cost along with the pricetag of those windows.

My main problem/concern was that those are made for thick wall framing, thus they vary from 1-2 1/2 inch thickness for mounting, etc., plus the added weight and realistically not really "touching" the object you are purchasing (just IMHO)...

So I went out and shopped/looked around for the truck canopies, and found out that they are lots closer to what I think would be a better match for the cat. Not much guessing around for what opening needed to be cut, since you can just make a template off the canopy, and costwise - canopies start at $50 more or less... and they have just a bunch of windows...

for example -

http://salem.craigslist.org/pts/3305520753.html

and my favorite one, since you get the sliding side windows, along with the little oval ones... :)

http://salem.craigslist.org/pts/3353734200.html

My problem now - I've built the rear cage in consideration of going w/soft top, and now went ahead with the aluminum, so some of the cross braces get in the way, putting me in the certain size bracket for windows...

Just a matter of time until I find one that works thou...

I had that same consideration so what I did was I bought some for an emergency exit window and I removed the 2 inch outer frame which left me with a 1 in frame around the inside window... but those topper windows should work great as well!!

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will figure this one out, just going "windowless" for now, covering it all up, and once I'll source the windows, I'll just cut the whole out... :)

asifa3

FYI

Aluminum is best. just go for the reliable.

Reactions: PJL