• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

iTunes problems

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I used to be a fan of iTunes. It did what I needed. But, I never had any computer problems until last May when lightning hit close by and zapped my laptop and other electrical stuff in the house.

I was able to backup my iTunes 'stuff' with the iTunes backup utility. It created a 2 CD backup. I formated and reloaded the OS and all apps, iTunes included. Then tried to restore the backup. The CD's were not recognized. I can't view any files on them. Nothing.
'
So, I figured all is not lost, I still have the stuff on my iPhone. I plug it in and start a sync. What I did not realize is that sync does not sync the two devices, it makes the iPhone a clone of iTunes even if nothing is in iTunes. The sync removed every app I had on the iPhone. It asked me before it started removing my 5+ gigs of music, thank goodness. So I did not loose all the music. However, now I cannot add music to the iPhone, nor can it retrieve the music on the iPhone to load it into iTunes. iTunes does not allow this and I do not understand why.

I have looked for iTunes alternatives and most will say they can handle the iPhone or iTouch but once I download and install it says they cannot handle the iPhone yet, but they are working on it.

I'm hoping someone reading this has found a way around this issue so I can make me and my iPhone happy again.

loboloco

Doc, this will work well
Take phone to workshop, place on flat on vise.
Hit with 4# hammer.
Iphone will give you no more problems.
Kicked itunes off my puter years ago.

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc - Lng way around the mulberry bush, but!

If you can attache the Iphone as a removable drive and copy the misic folders and then convert the ,mv4p files to MP#, you can then feed them back to a fresh copy of iTunes.

Winamp will play mv4p files too.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc, this will work well
Hit with 4# hammer.

that'd be my solution. never had an iphone, never will. my phone is probly 5 years old, it calls people, im happy. AND the battery lasts more than a week at a time.

never used itunes period. hell i finally moved from cassettes to CDs less than 4 years ago :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc, this will work well
Hit with 4# hammer.

Gee Thanks Lobo!!!! :D

that'd be my solution. never had an iphone, never will. my phone is probly 5 years old, it calls people, im happy. AND the battery lasts more than a week at a time.

never used itunes period. hell i finally moved from cassettes to CDs less than 4 years ago :yum:

Don't get me wrong, I love the iPhone, but I hate iTunes which is the tool made for managing 'stuff' on your iPhone.
This crap might nudge me over to something like the Droid which has most of the iPhone capabilities (maybe more).

Doc - Lng way around the mulberry bush, but!

If you can attache the Iphone as a removable drive and copy the misic folders and then convert the ,mv4p files to MP#, you can then feed them back to a fresh copy of iTunes.

Winamp will play mv4p files too.

I wish I could make this method work Andy. I much prefer to manage my music outside of iTunes and copy it into iTunes as I want. Then if iTunes goes belly up I simply reload iTunes and copy in my playlists into iTunes all over again.

Any idea how I can attach my iPhone as a removable drive?
what is mp4p?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I figured out how to open it as a external device but I only see a DCIM folder which has pics. None of the music files show up even though they are indeed there on the iPhone. :confused:

BamsBBQ

responding to an old post but didnt see it b4 sorry :doh:

i use copytrans

http://www.copytrans.net/

i dont even use itunes anymore unless its to download stuff from them..itunes always manages to screw up my laptop or my iphone.

copytrans allows you to even transfer music to your itunes library that was not purchased from itunes.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was able to do a partial restore from the backup. It was frustrating but it finally worked.
Now I keep all my MP3's outside of iTunes. I will not buy any songs via iTunes, but I can copy the MP3's from elsewhere on my computer into iTunes and they work just fine. Now if I loose them again for whatever reason I know I have all the MP3's backed up so that I can get to them.
What does copytrans do for you?

BamsBBQ

lets me sinc more devices than itunes allows...transfers are quicker & easier for my tastes..clone features and ILibs which lets me manage multiple ipods and itunes libraries

quick screenshot of the options(and mrs bam and myself..lol)

ayx84m.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting. Right now I just have one device to sync but now I see why copytrans could come in very handy. Thanks!