• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OUCH!

utahwilson

This weekend took a bunch of boyscouts out wintercamping. Snowcat ran great at first. However, ran into some problems. Scouts came up with a name for it "Satan's Taxi". Road from parking lot has lots of whoops. Left front tire bracket snapped and ripped up the track guides pretty good. Here are some pictures. I have no idea what I need or if I can get a replacement guide. Suggestions appreciated. Guide appears to have already broken in the past and had been welded. Break is at the weld.

Attachments

• Pic208.JPG
    Pic208.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 707
  • pic209.JPG
    pic209.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 691
  • pic210.JPG
    pic210.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 690
  • pic215.JPG
    pic215.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 697
  • pic217.JPG
    pic217.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 685

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Ive delt with the same problem on mine this winter on both sides i hope you have all the parts should be 2 springs an inner and outer the flat parts aer easyly fabricated and i would suggest a new piviot shaft being built to after catching mine before it compleately ripped through i welded it some weeks later the shaft broke i dye glowe the residue and found it full of cracks the whole thing was easy to build i turned town an old jeep axle shaft to the right size and welded up my flat bars i cut out of the old boggie assy anput the pieces in a press and streightened every thing out againyou don't even have to break the track and your guides look like they can be repaired with a vice and welder

cj7

I would suggest that when the part is welded (either the exixting or a new one) that you look and see if you can possible add a gussett or two to the joint. A gusset will spread the laod and take it away from the one pinpointed weld. If so then I would consider doing the same to the other side.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I would suggest that when the part is welded (either the exixting or a new one) that you look and see if you can possible add a gussett or two to the joint. A gusset will spread the laod and take it away from the one pinpointed weld. If so then I would consider doing the same to the other side.
i looked into doing that with mine no real way to do it on the back plate where the problem starts because of thespring seat and close proxisimity to the swing arm might try stepping up to 5/16 plate in the rear

utahwilson

Thanks for the suggestions. Until the snow melts and I can get a trailer up there to haul it home it will sit... injured. Also, I didn't discover the problem until I got back to camp. Only found the bracket no springs. :sad: I'll head back over in the area it come off and look after the snow melts.

I need to decide if I want to keep the trackmaster or sell it and buy something with more room. If I do sell it I will probably go after a Tucker.

Another option I'm considering is spending the money. Get the roof raised, change out the front window to a single pane. new paint, fuel injected engine, brakes...etc. I have talked to one of our respected members about taking on that project. Need to get wifes by in.

I'll let you all know what I end up deciding. Trackmaster is a great vehicle, I just don't fit in it very well. Wife complains about all the noises. I told her I would put on a muffler. She said the noises come from me as I try pry myself in and out of it. :yum:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you can pull the boggie assy off and it will back out to the road guess how i know.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
First Thanks Mr Wilson i must have been jinxed i hit a mound of ice last night when crossing some frozen over flow and bent my boggie assembly heres some pics of the parts after the repair the impact tore the back bar halfway through and bent the axle shaft i used heat to streighten the axle than pressed the plates into shape and welded the cracks lastly i tested every thing with NDT dye to check for cracks or pores and finely a coat of krylon tucker orange is all i had. i will post pics as i put things together so you all can see how to make the repairs with out breaking the track.

Attachments

• front suspension 001.jpg
    front suspension 001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 488

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
took 2 hours to compleate the repair hope this helps did not have to break track or loosen adlustment i put a jack on the suspension arm jacked unil the front wheel came off removed front wheel than used a com along atached to shock mount and lifted the rear wheel off and removed it i than relieved tension on the spring pryed it out and removed the bogie carrire instalation is reverse.

Attachments

• front suspension 004.jpg
    front suspension 004.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 496
  • front suspension 005.jpg
    front suspension 005.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 490
  • front suspension 007.jpg
    front suspension 007.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 490
  • front suspension 008.jpg
    front suspension 008.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 495
  • front suspension 009.jpg
    front suspension 009.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 492
  • front suspension 010.jpg
    front suspension 010.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 476

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
So easy to do a kid could do it! ;)

Those kid carhartts are cool. I won't trust my kids with sharpies though! :eek:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
LMAO! Those Carharts are the coolest! Love how the young lad has his hands all greasy and is willing to get in there and help dad. lol. "No dad..... Not like that. See like this." Thanks for the pics.

utahwilson

crap happens in 3's ... I wonder who is next. Thanks for the pics. Didn't realize the spring was so big. I hope I can find it this spring.

teledawg

I'd recommend that you guys reinforce your front boggie carriers with some angle iron like KRC did in his 1962 restore here: LINK

All the later "small wheel" machines came with front boggie carriers made out of angle iron stock from the factory instead of flat stock.

Attachments

• P1010321.JPG
    P1010321.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 439

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i wanted to build it up where it's weak the problem is in the rear where it will start to tear with the spring seat there is no good way to add angle if i continue to have problems i might get some5/16 plate and cut a new rear plate

teledawg

i wanted to build it up where it's weak the problem is in the rear where it will start to tear with the spring seat there is no good way to add angle if i continue to have problems i might get some5/16 plate and cut a new rear plate

If you are going to build some new ones, make them out of angle like these ones that are listed for sale on snow-trac.com. :clap:

Attachments

• DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 330