• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Toilet that doesn't clog

Bu Yong Xie

I am on the hunt for a new toilet that doesn't take four flushes to get down the business. I just clogged my two year old toilet again. Nothing fancy going down the drain :toilet: , just doots and tp. I have builder grade Mansfield ones now, need something better. Any recommendations?

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
When I built my shop I used a pressure assisted one. Do not recall the brand, but it builds up air pressure in the tank everytime you flush it. Works great.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I installed a upper end American Standard 3 Gallons Per Flush toilet in the new bathroom, and it seems to have its own clog compensator. The wife, who is full of SH*T clogs it on a regular basis, but with the next flush, it clears itself. Did I really say that about the lovely lady???????? :pat: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you can't find a N.O.S. real toilet that uses a lot of water, I would strongly suggest a pressure assist unit. I have 4 toilets in my house. 2 are New Old Stock units that flush a LOT of water, and 2 are pressure assist. I threw out the two that were low water gravity units because they both clogged when a little girl flushed. My mighty "grand chalupas" would have caused them more distress than they could handle! There is a brand that is supposed to be good that will flush one of my masterpieceses, the brand is called Toto. My brother just rebuilt a house and used that brand, so far his little girl has not clogged the Toto. Can't say as I've been taken a real shot at it, since I rarely eat his wife's cooking. . . .

daedong

I have read several threads now on the net about toilets that don’t work properly. I have lived with dual flush gravity feed toilets for years and have never had a problem. What is the standard in the US for the size pipe that connects to the pan? I do know you have a different style of connection from the pan to the pipe than here, I wonder if one of these issues is the problem.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
daedong said:
I have lived with dual flush gravity feed toilets for years and have never had a problem.
Vin, can you cite a URL showing such a device? Everything in your post is unrecognised here.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
When I couldn't get any of the 3 gal per flush units, I went with a Kohler "Highline Pressure Lite" (or something like that name) in my pool house. It eats poo like nobody's business, but it's rather noisy. I'd recommend it if it were not going to be next to someone's bedroom where a loud flush may wake them. Yeah, it works great, but it is that loud.

daedong

9311381153119.jpg
This is the sewer outlet which has a strong rubber flange, the outlet on the pan simply slides into the rubber flange unlike your system of wax joints, so i understand. All sewer pipes leading from toilets are 100mm (4") pipe.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Surprisingly enough...there is a difference between brands as well as within the brands themselves. This seems to be one of those times where you get what you pay for. My first recommendation is Kohler. Have never had an issue with these not flushing. Have installed them in roughly 20% of the homes I've built. Higher end American standard would be next. Mostly I've put in the mid-range American standard. Sometimes a problem, mostly not. The inexpensive toiltes are crap...pardon the pun. It's in the design. I have an inexpensive one in the guest bath and it's a problem. We bought it because of the vintage design and how it matched everything else in the room. NEVER AGAIN!!!

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Comforting to know we're surrounded by folks that know so much about $hit and refer to it as masterpieces..............:pat:

I knew there was a lot of knowledge around but I believe this thread has revealed their expertise....:D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We built a new house in the late 90's. Two identical toilets. One works great the other clogs with anything other than liquid. Since they are identical I thought it was the plumbing underneath causing the clogging. Maybe it is a flaw in the bowl ......if it wasn't right off a bedroom I'd go for the noisey power flush one.

good thread.

beds

I just put in a Toto after reading the reviews and it is a good flusher. Haven't had to flush it twice in the 6 months I've had it. We aren't required to have low flow by law here, but I understand some places do. This low flow Toto still seemed like the best product. I got the Drake and while it was more expensive than American Standard or Kohler, I am happy eith the purchase and would do it again. Here's an informative toilet link ;)

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
daedong said:
........ All sewer pipes leading from toilets are 100mm (4") pipe.[/QUOTE]

In the States, most jurisdictions require a 4" connection with a 1/8" per foot slope to the ultimate location of holding or disposing of the waste. If the plumber didn't do a good job of maintaining the slope or there are burrs in the pipe, that can cause problems with paper getting caught on them. Usually there is a vertical drop from the toilet into the waste pipe down to the basement and that is usually enough to keep everything flowing. Clogs are usually a result of something getting stuck closer to the water closet, such as a defective install of the wax ring. I do like the rubber collar that you use in Australia better, but I don't think that the code would allow it here..... at least not for a while. The code doesn't change very frequently when it comes to plumbing... slow to change, means slow to accept new ideas....

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
beds, you became bronze when you hit 100 posts. Congrats!

I'd bet ole Junk has clogged a toilet or two in his day! :D

Kwiens

We have the same brand, and probably grade, of toilet in our home. No problems to speak of at all with the four we have in the 8 years since w e built our home. Occasionally too much toilet paper is put in the toilet and then we have a clog. I actually have been impressed with how great they flushed for a low flow toilet.

Kevin

Bu Yong Xie

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to check a few of them out. I think my problem might be the overall plumbing in this house. It is only two years old and we are the first ones to live in it. We moved to town and needed a decent priced house while we waited for our country to house to sell. 16 months later it sold. Anyway, we have problems with the washing machine bubbling water up into the kitchen sink. We had the original plumbers come back out and they put a studor vent in the basement on the stack to help. That didn't do it. We have just lived with it so far cause this is just a transition house and we plan to find our long-term house when the market cools down. Sorry for the long post, but I think the commode is just one dingleberry on the ass of this house.:moon:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Might as well get it resolved now, because when you sell it, it could come back to haunt you later on. If the plumbing is backing up, then I would have the system checked. If it is a septic system, then the tank might need to be vented. You can't vent in the cellar, but need to vent at the tank end. Air has to escape from the tank if the water is to go in. Usually, the tank vents through the pipe that goes through the roof. Have you checked to see if there is a clog there? Could be as simple as a birds nest causing the problem. That pipe should be one straight line to the basement pipe, and all the fixtures should be branched into it from the sides. I have seen them get clogged and not vent properly. I had to put a mushroom cap on my tank at the old house, because the ground wouldn't let the tank vent properly.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good advice Junk.

With the bubbling you mentioned BYX it does sound like a venting issue.

ps. How the heck do you pronounce your name on here. :confused:

I'm sure there is a joke to it that I'm missing. :(

Bu Yong Xie

No joke here on my name. It comes from a different forum I frequented a few years ago. I was a trouble maker there. Boo Yong Yee is how I pronounce it, it is mandarin chinese. I forgot what it means, I found it on some translation site when I was stirring things up on the old site. Don't worry, I have outgrown that nonsense.

Back to the plumbing, this house is on city sewer. One positive for me for moving to town. City actually. Population 90,000 and growing. I will check the vents Saturday, I don't think that's it though. The toilet is not flushing right since I clogged it Tuesday. The other toilet works ok, all other drains work properly except the washing machine. I was thinking of getting a snake and trying that on the toilet. I have a regular drain snake, but I was reading that I need a toilet snake so it won't scratch the porcelain. Any other ideas, I'm open.

I hate plumbing!:mad:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
What you need is a J snake. You insert the J part into the toilet and then push down on the top handle and twist. My guess is that the wax ring is causing the problem with a piece that is projected out from the side.

Attachments

• MVC-836F.jpg
    MVC-836F.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 58
  • MVC-837F.jpg
    MVC-837F.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 57
  • MVC-838F.jpg
    MVC-838F.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 57

OkeeDon

These may show enough for you to get the idea:

Wax ring (with a plastic liner)
batkp15a.jpg

Wax ring installed on bottom of toilet:
batkp16a.jpg

The flange on the floor where the wax ring will seat:
batkp19a.jpg

(The installer is using a trick that I also have used; aligning a screwdriver (or anything else that will serve as a pointer) to indicate where the flange bolts are located, because it's almost impossible to see them while lowering the toilet. The trick with the wax ring is that you have to hit the flange exactly right on your first try, because moving the toilet about messes up the wax ring, and lifting the toilet off for another try may require a new ring.

The wax ring is just a simple, inexpensive compression gasket.

Bu Yong Xie

Ok, I just got a toilet auger from Lowes. I will try it this evening when I get home.

Junkman Thanks for the pictures. You didn't get your snake out and take pictures of it just for me, did you?

Wait a minute, that doesn't sound right! :whistle: