• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

side porch redo

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
hello folks. embarking on a project to redo my porch and make it more livable! i love sittin out there, so i decided that ill be working on it this year to hopefully have it done and ready for this autumn to sit and relax in the nice weather. may screen it in, not sure yet, but ive already got a little bit done so far, will offer 2 pics i have, but other than that i have none. here they be:

Attachments

• 0614091347.jpg
    0614091347.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 0614091348.jpg
    0614091348.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 56

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
oh its a mess. i need to wipe down the siding and window frames, spray the mold/mildew/spideywebs off the platform, clean up the railings. im ging to run some electric out there for a radio and mood lighting. the tiki torches are a real nice touch, i think. they light up the sidewalk real good.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
i had a thought about maybe doing a tikibar themed set up for the porch, if its nto too small. ill get a full pic of what im working with tonight and have it up here tomorrow

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
embarking on a project to redo my porch and make it more livable! i love sittin out there, so i decided that ill be working on it this year to hopefully have it done and ready for this autumn to sit and relax in the nice weather.

i need to wipe down the siding and window frames, spray the mold/mildew/spideywebs off the platform, clean up the railings. im ging to run some electric out there for a radio and mood lighting.

Ready for Autumn??? Based on what you've listed, what are you going to do after lunch? :unsure::whistling:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Ready for Autumn??? Based on what you've listed, what are you going to do after lunch? :unsure::whistling:

Sure glad someone else picked up on that. I was afraid I might be percieved as being too hard on the lad..:hammer:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
WELL im working on limited income, and thers going to be new furniture involved, and money spent, so it will take me a while to pay for the stuff, not to do the actual work. plus im not home alot, either

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
WELL im working on limited income, and thers going to be new furniture involved, and money spent, so it will take me a while to pay for the stuff, not to do the actual work. plus im not home alot, either

Sensitive type aint he....:w00t2:

Maybe you should stay home more, spend less money, hunt for parts and pieces and make your own furniture. I can give you some ideas on how to make stuff and where to find the parts, often times for free. Remember, one mans trash is another mans vintage reinvention.

:yum:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
c'mon!
you know you wanna!
it would be cool - and the price for pallets is perfect!

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
ok here are a few shots of my porch. its not all that big, big enough, but not enough to make alot of ideas work. does anyone have any thoughts of what i can do here?

Attachments

• porch and  zenith 008.jpg
    porch and zenith 008.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 28
  • porch and  zenith 009.jpg
    porch and zenith 009.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 28
  • porch and  zenith 010.jpg
    porch and zenith 010.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 28

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Ok.....The ideas are beginning to flow. First you gotta get rid of all that stuff on the porch. I'll take the deacons bench off your hands....we'll consider it part of the design fee...:brows:

Next, it's off to the garage/yard sales. put your hands on anything tropical/hawaian. We're looking for grass skirts,palm fronds, outdoor lights, etc. At Big Lots or some othe rdiscount store you'll find bamboo/grass mats pretty cheap.

In the corner where the window unit is located is where we'll put the libation station. very simply, an L shaped set of shelves running along the wall and under the A/C unit to the railing. They can be cinder block and boards if you want. It doesnt matter because we're going to make doors from 1x3 and cover them in the grass mats. The ends and corner of the shelving can be covered in the same material. You'll need to run a drain hose from the A/c to keep the condensate from ruining your party.

More to come

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Ok...picking up where I left off. On the left side of the porch we're going to create a shelf or ledge that will run along the top of the railing and cantilever out over the grass area a little. Like 6"-8". Wide enough for someone to place their drink or snack. The shelf will be supported by a couple of verticle posts that will be attached to the railing with clamps. I'll draw you a sketch. Then, we'll take the same grass/bamboo mat from the dollar store (May need more that 1) and we'll run it along the railing to cover the posts that support the shelf.

You could decorate in a number of ways with wall hangings and stuff. Also, on the doors to the libation station you could buy or maybe even find at a yard sale, some Hawaian fabric and cover the doors with that to give it some color. I'll see if I can't get somw drawings to you yo show you my idea(s).

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Rusty Cowboy is on to something here....i think the rail should have this type of look....

Attachments

• luau-hula-deck-fringe2.jpg
    luau-hula-deck-fringe2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 22

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
HMMM nto quite what i had in mind. i dismissed the tiki bar idea last night. im going with smething more conservative now, since we'll probly be into a haouse in the next couple years

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Dude....none of this is anything you can't undo in an hour. And the idea of you doing ANYTHING conservative in nature qualifies as an oxymoron....lol

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd replace the cracked steps. They have pre-formed ones you can put in easily.

I'd remove the concrete slabs on either side of the steps and plant bushes. Maybe some arborvitae or similar that will stay green all year and can be pruned/shaped easily. Depending on privacy desires, allow to grow to the top of the rail.

How's the electric lighting? I'd consider lights on a dimmer for ambiance.

How about some exterior speakers so you have a little music?

Hanging plants (ferns?) from the header over the railing?

Carpeting or epoxy paint on the floor? I wouldn't use carpeting if you spill a lot of beer...

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Three simple words come to mind here.

OUTDOOR BEER FRIDGE!!!!!

Seriously, it's all that porch is missing.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Maybe a nice 2 seater swinging Hammock...free standing to take with with when you move,,,,and a easy make ya self project.

Attachments

• richmond-signature-springdale-hardwood-3477-934_zoom.jpg
    richmond-signature-springdale-hardwood-3477-934_zoom.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 19

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
i want one of those for the yard. weve looked at so many, and none will fit comforatble on the proch without hittin into stuff over and over again.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
bah! im too lazy for that shit. byt the time id get halfway through, i'da drunk enough beer to end up with something that looks more along the lines of this:
1588229411_99578a767e.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Three simple words come to mind here.

OUTDOOR BEER FRIDGE!!!!!
The neighbor is considering something like that. Just inside the wall he has a tap with 4 brands of beer. He's thinking of punching through the wall and having them available from outside as well.

BTW, the beer is all homemade and FANTASTIC!!! He converted a 25 cu/ft chest freezer into a fridge and keeps the kegs in there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For me it is since I'm home all the time. If there's no truck in his driveway, I have free beer :)