• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Farm tractor with half tracks

longbed454

Has anybody ever tried a farm tractor with half tracks in the snow? how do they steer and handle? Is it worth trying a set? It's just to putt around on the farm and pull a homemade snowmobile trail drag any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen 4 wheel drive tractors with track conversions but not rear tracks on a 2 wd tractor.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
I just saw an advertisement for a new half-track farm tractor in Ag Alert, the California Farm Bureau's weekly. I didn't pay any attention to the ad but it was a major manufacturer - Kubota, JD, MF, or something. The magazine is at home and I'm out at the ranch. I'll look for it and report if no one posts better info before Monday.

Just from memory, I think it was a new Kubota with a cab and with normal rear fender flares, running factory-option rear tracks. And I think it was a specialized vineyard tractor, narrow but with high drawbar HP for discing.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Here's the one I saw advertised. This is 4wd so its not really responsive to to OP's question.

Kubota M8540 Power Krawler 76 hp $51,000

wv_2008-07-11_Kubota.jpg

One more comment: I think you need a driven front axle to help pull the nose around when you try to turn. Braking one track lessens pulling power, just the opposite of what you need to make a turn toward uphill or to climb out of the ditch you slid into.

longbed454

Do you mean like this ? I remember a club years ago used to run a setup like this to groom their trails.

MODERATOR EDIT. THE DIRECT LINK TO THE IMAGE GAVE A BIG WARNING THAT WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO DO SO. THEREFORE, INSTEAD OF DIRECT INCLUSION OF PICTURE, HERE'S THE LINK.

http://www.tractordata.co.uk/ferguson/images/ferguson_half_track.jpg

I have the same tracks but they mount to a bigger tractor MF 65 Is it worth while mounting them for next winter or sell them?

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
That's all they use for snowmobile trail grooming around here: Tracked Farm Tractors.

Way cheaper and more reliable than a snowcat type vehicle. We don't get the 10's of feet of snow that they do in the mountains, so it is a good option here.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Here is a model "T" on tracks... and some other oddities that were used on the farm and battlefields.... Kind of off thread, but I was bored....

uscpc-FordModelT-ChaseTrack-1.jpg

uscpc-FordModelT-ChaseTrack.jpg

dawn__model_t_ready.jpg

jaymodeltsnowmobile.jpg

ModelTsnowmobile_8683_resized.jpg

600-snow.jpg

475289333_8a36e13a7c.jpg

2203537267_39482a0334_o.jpg

Trakternut

Second image from last is a Fordson Trackson. Fordson farmtractor chassis with the track undercarriage built by an aftermarket builder.

The last is a Holt crawler. This on is from the later 'teens which can be figured out by the tiller wheel on front. later on, Hold went to all tracks on their crawlers. They coined the "Caterpillar" moniker. They were known as Holt Caterpillars. They joined forces with Best, another builder of crawlers and became Caterpillar, which is the same world wide firm we're all familiar with.

There was an aftermarket kit which put a small wheeled dead axle in front of the rear wheels on Ford tractors. Tracks were installed creating a half track tractor.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't forget Mr. Bombardier. He probably built them first, or at least very early-on. They DID Traverse the 2000 mile south Pole in 1958!
Bomb.jpg

longbed454

Thanks for all the input sounds like a fun and interesting project for next fall when I get some pics I'll post them for sure :clap:

Thanks
Chad