• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Home Air Condition Maintenance 101

Cityboy

Banned
Today was condenser cleaning day at the CityFamily estate. This is something all of you guys should do annually to maintain the efficiency of your HVAC system. Annual maintenance and regular air filter changes are the cheapest and most beneficial way to save money on your monthly power bill and to greatly extend the life of your HVAC system. Your HVAC system is probably the most expensive system in your home. Make it last as long as possible.

One of the things the semi-mechanically inclined homeowner can do is clean their condensing unit. Following are photos taken today as I cleaned mine. These first few photo's are of my Trane condensing unit. We bought this home in late October of last year. It is about 10 years old now, built in 1998.

Attachments

• P6200146.jpg
    P6200146.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 42
  • P6200144.jpg
    P6200144.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 42

Cityboy

Banned
These next photo's show the proper disassembly of the condensing unit for cleaning. Note - This is a louvered unit. The louvers must be removed for proper cleaning. The unit cannot be cleaned with the louvers in place.

Note the matted on dirt in the second photo. Dirt accumulation on the condenser coil interferes with heat transfer and costs you more money to run the unit.

Attachments

• P6200147.jpg
    P6200147.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 40
  • P6200148.jpg
    P6200148.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 40
  • P6200149.jpg
    P6200149.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P6200150-1.jpg
    P6200150-1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P6200151-1.jpg
    P6200151-1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 40

Cityboy

Banned
Safety first! Make sure you open the disconnect before disassembling the unit! This should have been my first photo!

Attachments

• P6200153.jpg
    P6200153.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 42

Cityboy

Banned
Next, take a good look at the coil. Remove any large debris by hand. You never know what you might find! I found a dirt-dobbers nest and a dead mouse that had been living in the condensing unit and had been chewing the insulation around my compressor blanket.

Attachments

• P6200155.jpg
    P6200155.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 40
  • P6200169.jpg
    P6200169.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P6200170.jpg
    P6200170.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 38

urednecku

Site Supporter
LOVE the picture of the mouse. It reminds me of KFC.

BTW, AW brought home Chinese for supper, (which I am eating now). Wonder what I'm actually eating?? YUMMMYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder. I haven't gotten to mine yet this year, I'll try to do that tomorrow. And don't forget the air handler coils, if it's where you can get to them.
In your photo of the dis-connect, are those terminals open, where some-one could accidentally touch a hot wire/terminal?

Cityboy

Banned
In your photo of the dis-connect, are those terminals open, where some-one could accidentally touch a hot wire/terminal?

Yes, you could accidentilly touch a hot wire. To prevent that, put the disconnect cover back in place while you work.

More photo's on the way. It's taking me a while because I'm having some issues with my internet connection.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy,
There is some discoloration on the wires in that disconnect. You might want to put an ammeter/amprobe on it and see whats going on. Try tightening the connection first and see if it's loose.

Attachments

• disconnect.jpg
    disconnect.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 36

Cityboy

Banned
Next, apply an alkaline condenser coil cleaner. I prefer sodium hydroxide, but I couldn't get it today and wound up with some other stuff the HVAC supplier had which was sodium metasilicate. It doesn't foam as well, but it got the job done.

Take your time and make sure you apply the cleaner with a pump type pressure sprayer and apply to the entire coil, inside out first, and then apply to the outside of the coil. Rinse thoroughly with low pressure water from the inside out, then from the outside with a downward motion to wash debris down, and not force the dirt and debris back into the coil.

Repeat as many time as required to completely clean the coil.

NOTE: Make sure you rinse thoroughly and DO NOT leave any of the sodium hydroxide on the coil. Rinse until there is no foam remaining on the coil or on the metal parts.

Attachments

• P6200157-1.jpg
    P6200157-1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 35
  • P6200159-1.jpg
    P6200159-1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 35
  • P6200166.jpg
    P6200166.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 35
  • P6200168.jpg
    P6200168.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 35

Cityboy

Banned
Cityboy,
There is some discoloration on the wires in that disconnect. You might want to put an ammeter/amprobe on it and see whats going on. Try tightening the connection first and see if it's loose.

Good eye OTC!! That is part of my annual maintenance, and was part of every service call when I was a service tech. And you are correct, the lugs were slightly loose, and had probably never been checked since the original installation.

Cityboy

Banned
After cleaning the coil, clean your louvers. You might even take the opportunity to spray the wife, kids and dog with water :tongue:

Attachments

• P6200188.jpg
    P6200188.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 36

Cityboy

Banned
Next, check your fan motor for an oil port and oil if required. Follow manufacturers instructions! Remember.....don't over lubricate the motor bearings. Usually, "a little dab will do ya"! Too much oil can spill over onto the motor windings and cause a short.

Attachments

• P6200194.jpg
    P6200194.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 32
  • P6200193.jpg
    P6200193.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 32

Cityboy

Banned
Now you have a nice clean condenser that will cost you less to operate. Note the first picture of the back side of the coil that was matted with dirt is now shiney and clean.

Attachments

• P6200192.jpg
    P6200192.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 32
  • P6200190.jpg
    P6200190.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 30
  • P6200191.jpg
    P6200191.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 30

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ok, I am going to ask only because I know someone else is going. The pic of the one laying in the sun. Was that to be a tease or what? :hide: :hide:

urednecku

Site Supporter
Yes, you could accidentilly touch a hot wire. To prevent that, put the disconnect cover back in place while you work.

More photo's on the way. It's taking me a while because I'm having some issues with my internet connection.
Would it be better to throw the breaker? No chance of getting an unwanted charge that way.

Cityboy

Banned
The last task:

Reassemble the unit, making sure you replace EVERY screw! There were 36 sheet metal screws that I removed, and each one has a place and purpose to prevent vibration and possible damage. There's a place for every screw, so put every screw in its place.

Another thing to keep in mind as you clean your condenser is to direct your water spray away from electrical connections!

If for any reason you are uncomfortable with this procedure, call an HVAC pro you trust to do it for you. Remember: SAFETY FIRST! Your family is counting on you to be there for them.

Hope this was helpful for ya'll. It will save you some money in labor and electricity. I used to charge between $100 and $200 for an annual maintenance service in my contracting days depending on the style of unit and how dirty it was, and wheteher it was a heat pump system or a gas furnace. So you guys can save the labor doing it yourself. I might get motivated and post a thread this fall when I service my propane furnace. I usually do both at the same time for customers, but I'll probably wait till October to do my own this year.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Would it be better to throw the breaker? No chance of getting an unwanted charge that way.

Yes it would be better. Especially with spraying water around. That disconnect is illegal in Minnesota. In fact I would be surprised if the National Electrical Association approves it any more.

murph

daedong

Hey Cityboy, do you take pics of your wife doing the house work? Or is it just a normal every day occurrence for her to work and not you.:poke:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Great thread CB! One more task for me to procrastinate on! ;)

Murph - you old perv - what if that was CB's young daughter? :eek:

Cityboy

Banned
That disconnect is illegal in Minnesota. In fact I would be surprised if the National Electrical Association approves it any more.

murph

You are correct. I am continually amazed at some of the crap disconnects I see in the field that were installed to save a few dollars. :furious:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

PB it may have very well been. He should have moved the camera to the left some and kept her out. :bonk:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You are correct. I am continually amazed at some of the crap disconnects I see in the field that were installed to save a few dollars. :furious:

I need to fix one of mine - the blade is broken and doesn't come out. I've procrastinated on that for about two years now! :shock:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Cityboy, it was a good post. I sent you points for it. It was explained very well.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Hope this was helpful for ya'll. It will save you some money in labor and electricity. I used to charge between $100 and $200 for an annual maintenance service in my contracting days depending on the style of unit and how dirty it was, and wheteher it was a heat pump system or a gas furnace.

Again, what a great thread :thumb: - I usually pay around $250 for the annual check by a professional, as my system is getting old and seems to need a little extra love. I know they have never washed the condenser like you did. I should give that a try.

Cityboy

Banned

Thanks PB.

Yeah, Murps a perv...but that was Citygirl in the photo. I ain't gonna let all you pervs check out my 16 YO daughter...:glare:

Citygirl would probably smack the crap outta me if she knew she was in this thread. :slap:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Two things I want to add. You all notice Cityboy when spraying the coil is in all pictures but one spraying from the inside out. That is good. In one picture you might think he is spraying from the outside in which you don't want to do. But he really is just spraying the lifted dirt down and not back in deeper. The coil type he is cleaning is whats called a "Spiny Fin Coil" They will typically catch more dirt than the "Fin and Tube" coil and is much tougher to get the dirt out of it. Some techs will take a vacuum cleaner first on a Spiny Fin to get as much out as possible first.

A Fin and Tube Coil is much like the radiator of your car and yet it still needs to have the water sprayed from the inside out.

murph