Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Home Improvement Projects, Appliance upgrades, Misc Household items Forum

Old 12-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,928 Times in 901 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Rubber insulation

Bump.

Off to the store today and need to get more of the stuff to seal the doors for this winter. Had to find this thread so I could get the product name.

After re-reading the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Skurka
Weatherstipping is legit according to our fire marshall. We had covered the door with with 3M film and didn't like that, but he suggested some sort of non-permanent weather stripping. This goo stuff sounds perfect. It doesn't actually adhere to anything the way that silicone sealer would. The key is the crash bar must still work so no glue type adhesive sealer could be used.
Bob - Don't use this stuff to seal the cracks between the door and the frame. The door will not open until this caulk is removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNay
OH MY GAWD!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!

SERIOUSLY!!!

We bought this farm in late winter 2003, and the sellers had used this stuff on every single window in the house, and now I still only have about 2/3 of the windows operable again. Some of the windows (and all of the remaining ones) I have had to remove the interior trim molding so that I can remove enough of this gunk to make the windows openable. The instructions also claim that it does not stick to paint, but every one of my windows needs to be repainted after removing this gunk. Even the stained windows look like a layer has been removed.

I highly recomend that you avoid this type of product. Bad bad bad bad mojo.
Dave - I used the Liquid Nails Windjammer product. It came off with no issues this spring. I just pulled another piece off a minute ago to see what it acts like after 1 year. It pealed right off, again with no residue (on a stained surface). Not sure if the products are different or the application.