• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Toilet that doesn't clog

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Bu Yong Xie said:
Junkman Thanks for the pictures. You didn't get your snake out and take pictures of it just for me, did you?

I keep it in the bathroom utility closet. I also never loan it to anyone. That way, I know that it will be there when I need it, however, I do make house calls with it when a friend asks what to do about a clog that can't be cleared with a toilet plunger. One thing that I thought of was, do you have small children in the house? If so, then don't use the snake, because they might have put some toy into the toilet that is causing the clog. If that is the case, then you need to remove the toilet to remove the item. A snake will push it further down the system, where it might be next to impossible to remove. I have seen many things in toilets from tennis balls to plastic toys. I used to manage an apartment building and when we found these things in the toilets or the plumbing, then we charged the tenant for the removal. Sanitary napkins and Tampax are another thing that don't flush well, as well as the "disposable" diapers. If you get any resistance to the snake going into the pipe below the toilet, stop and pull the toilet off the floor. Only takes about 15 minutes including sponging out all the water. Also realize that if there is a clog that some water will come out on the floor, so be prepared for that. It is a messy job, but one that you can handle. That is why the plumber gets big $$$$$ when they come to the house......

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OkeeDon said:
The installer is using a trick that I also have used; aligning a screwdriver (or anything else that will serve as a pointer) to indicate where the flange bolts are located, because it's almost impossible to see them while lowering the toilet. The trick with the wax ring is that you have to hit the flange exactly right on your first try, because moving the toilet about messes up the wax ring, and lifting the toilet off for another try may require a new ring.
Not to change the subject of the clogging issue but I have a question.

If I recall correctly (it's been awhile), I thought I recalled putting the wax ring on the floor then setting the toilet on top of that.

Does it make a difference?

One other trick I do remember as well. I put 2 chunks of 2x4 (about 12" long) across the floor so the rear and front of the toilet can set on those while I take one last look at alignment. When it's all lined up, I lift just a little and kick the boards out.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I have only installed one toilet or wax ring, it was a new setup. Put the wax ring on the floor, then installed the toilet, it still works four to five years later with no leaks, I did not know any better.:pat:

Bu Yong Xie

I do have an eight year old and a six year old. This toilet is in the master bath, the kids don't use it often but I will interrogate them this evening.

Man, I get the heebee jeebees thinking about pulling the toilet.

:puke1:

I rememer as a kid having to reach down into the toilet to get a toothbrush my younger brother dropped in. I guess I had small enough hands then it was my job. I have repressed that memory and will drink a lot of green beer tonight to further repress it.

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Bu Yong Xie

Well, no green beer here tonight. I forgot about a church group meeting I had this evening. No time for plumbing tonight, tomorrow is the great toilet war.:punch:

daedong

Don
Thanks for the pics. I now understand why this topic comes up so often with such a cumbersome system

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Bu, how'd ya make out? The thought of doing it is worse than actually doing it! We all know what goes down a crapper. Just keep thinking, this is the same water I'm drinking!!:D:toilet::poke::beer:

Bu Yong Xie

Well, I waited until this evening to do it. I got out the new snake, put on latex gloves, put down old towels on the floor. Wished I'd had a full-face clear mask, like they wear on ER. Inserted snake into toilet, turned and pushed until it was all the way in. Did not feel any snags or obstructions as I pushed it in. Pulled it back out and it was clean on the spring end. No tp or doots or hair or anything! I then cleaned up, and proceeded to use the john. No problem flushing the :toilet: , so I don't know if it was a temporary clog (is there such a thing?) or if it's further down the line. Back to square one now. Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
usually if the clog is toilet paper, it will pretty much dissolve once you use the snake on it. You certainly did take a lot of precautions. I usually just put the snake into the toilet and push the handle down. Give it a few twists and then pull it out. Stick it in the shower and give it a rinse off and then put it away for the next time. Then I wash my hands and am finished in less than 5 minutes. Personally, I am not worried about a little turn as much as I would be if there was blood around. Just think about the guys that clean out the septic systems... they work with gloves only. The guys and gals in the ER, have to suit up as if they were headed to the moon. What did you do when you had to change a diaper on one of the kids??????? Leave it for the wife??????