• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

No start problem

blystons

Bombi SW48 FA. (1988 model, Ford 6 engine)

Ran one day, next day nothing. I have no power at the dashboard. Not even a flicker of gauges, no ACC, nothing. Will not crank, nor even click the solenoid. Battery reading 12.5.

Cannot find any hot wires in dash, very hard to trace wires as they are all bundled and wrapped, colors are hard to decipher even when they seem original.

I am thinking a bad neutral switch? Does that shut off all power to ignition switch?

What else could it be? Even a weak battery or a weak ground should give me something at the gauges or light switches.

Finally, how can I jury rig to do some plowing?

Thanks.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have a switch on the ground and it is not making contact this could be exactly the cause. Check it for continuity, and find out. Or just jump around it...

Regards, Kirk

rockhead

Similar gong show on my 1450 was caused by extremely poor hot lead at battery. Every once in a while it would get a click to the solenoid and then lose contact again for many minutes :hammer:

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
read voltage between positive battery post(+lead on meter) and the end of the positive battery cable at solenoid (- lead on meter). Turn on lights (load) should read 0v. IF >1-2 volts suspect bad terminal joint. if the battery terminal is potted, suspect inside the joint.

If OK, then see if a heavy gage (8-10ga) is leaving the solenoid hot terminal. This should go to either the batt terminal on the ign sw or a fuse block. There may be a fusible link (heavy fuse in line with the wire). check at batt terminal. see if it has voltage. if not suspect link or broken terminal.

If there isn't a wire from the solenoid, there should be another one leaving the battery. test as above. if

use a jumper and see if directly firing the solenoid causes the engine to crank.

if the batt terminal on the switch has good voltage, suspect a bad switch.

That is the simple tests. If you don't have a meter or a test light, use a 12v tail light.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
And clean ground connections at - batt post and where it connects to frame/engine.
Mike

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The bombies had a starting issue mnoutdoors found the cause and posted it. To light of a wire but i dont thing you have a bombi. I had a coil fail and it just turned off but i had ignition power on my 80bombi.
Jim

blystons

Re: No start problem- SOLVED

Main 10 ga wire from solenoid + post to the ammeter was bad. Had to split a lot of loom. The wire had 12.8 volts at the solenoid, 12.8 about 8 inches away and then 7 volt 3 feet away. Loom appeared entirely undamaged in that area. Probably been a problem waiting to happen for a long time.

About 5 hours to find, but five bucks in wire to fix. Whew!

Thanks all.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you caught it, where you could work on it. Doing this on a hillside somewhere...

PJL

Wierd that the wire just went bad. Any breaks or corrosion? Are you certain it's not fusible link?