• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Stuck

undy

Yeah, but towards the end you can see that both left side tracks are skidding. If something broke, it apparently effected both front and rear ends. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that would cause this. ???

Is it possible the left side tracks were just jammed up with snow from sliding off the trail?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
With a Tucker Terra if you happen to slide off at a steep side angle, do not have lockers then the high side tracks with no weight on them will spin in the air and the tracks on the low side will do nothing. Been there done that not wanting to ever do it again. Lots of shoveling when you do not have another cat to pull you out. :w00t2:

It is not uncommon in our WY snow conditions to stick the Tucker Terra's. The WY trails people are now buying some of the Tucker wide tracks and Piston Bully's for trail grooming as they work better in the mountains. The Tucker Terra's are good when they work but often our snow is just too much in the high mountains. Bottomless powder that can be many feet deep is very deceiving and unforgiving. If you are grooming a trail and the hard pack snow builds up on the trail and you just happen to get off the trail a little bit then you are headed to the bottom. Just like driving down a road and then finding the borrow ditch on the side but in the snow it is hard to see the soft spots on the side.

I ran a Piston Bully and very seldom got it stuck. If it started to go down then I would just stop, let the snow settle underneath for a few minutes and then usually was able to back out without even unhooking the groomer. Something about the weight and the two track design that seems to work better at times. The Tucker is more cost effective as long as you can keep if going without problems.

Last edited:

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
What he said, snow in Wyoming has so little water content that that its not uncommon to step off your ride and sink to your chest.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
A pic of the finished product when everything is going the right way, As you can see this is just a big snow road that is packed. The sides are going to be very soft powder. Keeping your cat on the trail in a white out blizzard at night is often a very tough job. At times when I was grooming I could see more out the side window than I could the windshield. An operator learns his surroundings and can use trees, fence lines and other things sticking out of the snow to tell where he is at most times. That can still not be enough when it is a whiteout blizzard. I actually had to just stop and wait at times for the wind and snow to let up to confirm I was where I should be before continuing on. Most of our trail grooming is done at night so it is an adventure just waiting to happen. Turn the music up, pack a good lunch, survival supplies just in case and keep it at about 5 to maybe 8 mph and the time does fly......:whistling:

15492207_1287023471356396_1554208384773193114_n.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
A pic of the finished product when everything is going the right way, As you can see this is just a big snow road that is packed. The sides are going to be very soft powder. Keeping your cat on the trail in a white out blizzard at night is often a very tough job. At times when I was grooming I could see more out the side window than I could the windshield. An operator learns his surroundings and can use trees, fence lines and other things sticking out of the snow to tell where he is at most times. That can still not be enough when it is a whiteout blizzard. I actually had to just stop and wait at times for the wind and snow to let up to confirm I was where I should be before continuing on. Most of our trail grooming is done at night so it is an adventure just waiting to happen. Turn the music up, pack a good lunch, survival supplies just in case and keep it at about 5 to maybe 8 mph and the time does fly......:whistling:

View attachment 87708
You're making me miss it. Sadly my grooming days are done. I wouldn't last more than a few minutes in one breaking trail.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk