• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

KITTEN SUSPENSION

GYPSY

A previous owner modified and made solid the suspension on my Tucker 222 Kitten to keep it from nose diving with a raised front implement. I need some pictures or drawings of how it should be especially the spring mounts and any travel stops that were used. I know I need at least one set of springs for the left front. The right front are there. Were there any springs in the rear?
Thanks

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The only ones I worked on had pairs of coil springs, about 1.5 inches in diameter and 4 inches long. 2 on each side in front, and 2 on each side in the rear. I found some large valve springs for a diesel engine at a ship engine repair shop and cut them to fit. There were no 'stops' to limit the travel.

GYPSY

Would any Tucker 222 Kitten owners out there post some pictures of their front and rear chassis suspension?

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Well I had mine out a month ago, not to interested in pulling a pontoon again to get spring measurement, however I could, but not until summer. If anyone has one out of their machine, if you could get the ID, OD, wire diameter, # of coils, end ground or not (should be ground), free length, and assume they are spring steel you should be able to find something very close to original. With this information you can look at a company like Century Spring, enter these parameters and pick a spring that is exact or close. There are other spring manufacturers out there that may also work.

See if you can find someone with a spring that is already out and get these parameters, if you have no luck I will pull a pontoon and the springs later this spring/summer and get the info for you. However I will require payment of one ride in the Gobbler.

Just read your post again, you say you need almost a full set of springs, do you have one still? If so send me the info above and I will see what I can find for you.

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
Well I had mine out a month ago, not to interested in pulling a pontoon again to get spring measurement, however I could, but not until summer. If anyone has one out of their machine, if you could get the ID, OD, wire diameter, # of coils, end ground or not (should be ground), free length, and assume they are spring steel you should be able to find something very close to original. With this information you can look at a company like Century Spring, enter these parameters and pick a spring that is exact or close. There are other spring manufacturers out there that may also work.

See if you can find someone with a spring that is already out and get these parameters, if you have no luck I will pull a pontoon and the springs later this spring/summer and get the info for you. However I will require payment of one ride in the Gobbler.

Just read your post again, you say you need almost a full set of springs, do you have one still? If so send me the info above and I will see what I can find for you.
I have 1 spring that is kinda tweaked. I’ll try to guesstimate the demissions off it and then talk to you Century spring. I might go by the diesel shops in the port and see what they have for valve springs.
thanks for the help - the gobbler is yours to drive anytime!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I need almost a whole set of springs for my kitten. Does anyone have a lead on what to use for replacements?
well, I can help u, but might need to be patient, got winter storm here for the next 4 days, so getting out to the shop is not in the plans, I do have several new sets of springs for kittens, happy to give them to you, best to replace all rather than mixing old with new, truth is they are almost do nothing to help the ride, kinda worthless in reality, but they put them in at the factory

Last edited:

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
well, I can help u, but might need to be patient, got winter storm here for the next 4 days, so getting out to the shop is not in the plans, I do have several new sets of springs for kittens, happy to give them to you, best to replace all rather than mixing old with new, truth is they are almost do nothing to help the ride, kinda worthless in reality, but they put them in at the factory
PP - that would be HUGE help - I’d be more than happy to purchase a set of kitten springs from you - Thank You very much!

GMoose

GOLD Site Supporter
Besides being "kinda worthless" they make it a pain in the a$$ to install the pontoons. I am sure you have figured out a good way to install them easily, but the two times I have done it sucked. I also agree, replace all the springs.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
PP - that would be HUGE help - I’d be more than happy to purchase a set of kitten springs from you - Thank You very much!

nope, just happy to give them to you, as the guy, with the flat top hair cut, that advertised on the late night wrestling TV show on Saturday nights, he would say, free is a good price..so, they are free

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Besides being "kinda worthless" they make it a pain in the a$$ to install the pontoons. I am sure you have figured out a good way to install them easily, but the two times I have done it sucked. I also agree, replace all the springs.
what is really fun,

is to discover, they POPPED out......no rhyme or reason, they, just pop out, best just to put a solid piece of something in there instead of the spring, works some much better and you wouldn't and or can't tell the difference, and solid mounted, nothing pops out, and away you go

not everything the factory did, worked out, like it should have, like springs on a kitten

Last edited:

GYPSY

I revisited my springs today. She is missing 6 of the 8 springs and has a piece of round stock welded in their place. The pair that are still in place ( also welded) appear to be different springs. It appears that this machine at one time may of had a small front mounted blade or plow. The springs appear to only sit in a bottom cup with nothing retaining the top of the spring in place.