• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1967 Snow Trac finds new home

AKdadio

Hello folks, I got a new toy to tinker with. I know we all love photos, I will post more photos, just give me a day or so. I do have question on how to replace a bogie wheel / where to find replacements. I notice some photos of the ST4 show a full size wheel behind the drive sprocket, some have bogies instead. My particular ST4 has a set of bogies just behind the drive sprocket, of that set the rear one is shot. What is the trick to relieving the tension on the springs so that a guy can remove the bogie? "They make a tool for that" is not the answer I am hoping for. I need more of a "back-woods" idea. Also, any tips on where to find replacement bogie wheels? I may use the top one that holds the track up and replace it with whatever I find. Ideas anyone?

Attachments

• 1967 Snow Trac.jpg
    1967 Snow Trac.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 507

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks nice! Sorry, no answer for you regarding the bogies but I'm sure someone one here will have some suggestions for you.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
NICE!!!!! I do have boggies for sale. There is a tool used to jack up the tires. I will see if I can find the thread.

teledawg

... My particular ST4 has a set of bogies just behind the drive sprocket, of that set the rear one is shot. What is the trick to relieving the tension on the springs so that a guy can remove the bogie? ...
Congrats on getting the ST4. What is the serial number of your new machine? Looks like the one that was for sale on craigslist out in Wasilla.

I use a piece of all-thread with a couple of big washers and nuts on it run between the boggie frame to compress the spring. Will get you some pics in a day or two to show you how it works. Real simple to make and use and I carry it in the rig all the time. I would say that it would qualify as a back-woods (aka read-neck) method, but it works...

:pat:

Do you need some new boggie tires? I getting ready to order a batch from Warren or Christer for ol' #163.

AKdadio

teledawg- I have # 868 or 886, from memory, it is 1967 though. It is the one that was on Craigs. I will PM you.

teledawg

teledawg- I have # 868 or 886, from memory, it is 1967 though. It is the one that was on Craigs. I will PM you.

Got your PM and replied to it.

You must have ol' #886

880-914...............1967.........35............Snow-Trac ST4

One of 35 built that year... How much work do you need to do on it before the snow flies?

AKdadio

replace bogie, gas and go. It is in really good shape, starts right up and idles smooth, turns very responsively. I will catch you on PM.

rrossell7

Nice machine, wish mine looked as good. Just pulled the right track apart today. Needs to be replaced, and rear tire needs tube. Also am going to replace the bogies, will let you know if the handtruck solids will fit the rims. Good luck on yours. rrossell1

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
RRossell,
The hand truck tires do not work and only lead to de tracking issues. I have found a source for the correct tires. Some of us even have some for sale. DONT use handtruck tires. Also LYNDON has a thread somewhere on the handtruck tires. Thats an eye opener.

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
I've sucessfully changed out bogie wheels with a simple Hi-Lift jack.
Works great and you should carry one in the 'back woods' anyway!:thumb:

AKdadio

I think there is supposed to be a bolt you can install to compress the spring on the front bogies. . . mine however does not have the little ear where the bolt would install. With a little cussing and some creative jacking around, yes, jacking around, you can get the tire changed. I wonder if that special tool-ma-bobby (see link to thread above) will work on the front bogies too. ???????????