• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker 442 Transfer Case Bolts Leaking

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the trick to keep the four mounting bolts from leaking? Don't remember they leaking before I tore the machine down.

I am running 80/90 gear oil and filling it till it spills out of the hole. I teflon taped the four bolts. Cant tell if it is coming out of the vent at top and leaking down or if it is the bolts?

What do you guys to for fluid weight, fill level, and sealing those bolts?

RVR RNR

I always used silicone sealer on the mount bolts and never had a leaker. As for fluid, 75w-90 full synthetic is the best. Good luck.:wink:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Also be sure that the vent is venting. Most of the ones I have seen are a 1/16 dia. hole drilled in a pipe cab on a nipple which comes up through the floor under the seat. Make SURE that the hole is clear and that something does not plug it. The expansion of the air and oil from heat will cause pressure and leaking. This is true of axles and any gear box. Silicone is good for this sealing the treads as stated. I also go with the synthetic gear oil.

If the threads are in bad shape, egged out, Caterpillar handles a very cool inset to cure the problem. Drill out the holes to the tap size recommended and retap with standard taps unlike Helicoils, which I will not use. These inserts make the case think it has a larger bolt in it and the inserts are not likely to go away like the aluminum case.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any thing is possible. but the vent is on the cap on the 4" nipple which is screwed into the top of the case. This means it is WAY too full. There is a small 1/8 NPT plug about half way up the case which is the level the lube should be. Too much oil, not good.

tom

GOLD Site Supporter
my vent did the same thing..it was covered by material under the seat and pressure built up. once I opened up that area it quit doing the leaking. Also learned the grease gets hot when running the machine and that can cause the pressure to build up. I filled mine up just like you did. It stopped leaking once it puked out the excess.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will have to do a bit more looking at it. My vent is not in the cab but it is below the floor underneath. Few inches below the floor.

Maybe the ice/snow clogs the vent. Will to some more investigating.

the old trucker

I had the same kind of problem with my trucks. Front diff always got moisture & turned milky. I took out the vent & made up a flexible hose with the vent on the end & tucked it up along side the inside frame where it was always dry & clean. Worked great for years...

OT.