• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Maintenance Checklist

csteinman

I have a 1963 Thiokol 601 with a 240ci engine. I would like to write an operator manual to remind drivers (and myself) what to do prior to taking it out to the mountains. We plan on using it for repairing mountaintop radios sites mainly, but it may be borrowed for search and rescue missions or other wintertime projects.

Does anybody have a checklist that someone could follow to make sure the tire pressures are correct, for instance, prior to going out to the mountains? How about a maintenance record sheet?

I used to drive a Bombi, and that thing was always breaking down, which is a dangerous thing when you are in the middle of nowhere! Like to avoid that this time.

Thanks in advance.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I don't have a checklist, and I don't recall a thread specifically about pre-trip inspections. But there have been some threads about safety gear and emergency gear for when a breakdown occurs.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=1798&highlight=emergency+gear

I think you would be doing a great service to start up a pre-trip check-list here on the Forums. While each would be vehicle specific, there are a lot of common problems and situations that all snowcat owners face and everyone should benefit from your list. If you start by posting some of your thougths, I'm sure others will offer suggestions.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Check the Tires! Should be first on the list as there are many of them and a machine will detrack quite readily if the tensioning is off. And that is the Number 2 Item, Check track tension.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Rule number one. Verify all survival gear is present and functional.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If you stop by any state or county Road maintenance yard you can get a PM ( Preventive Maintenance) Copy of what they use and modify it to your needs . They are very complete and even have 4 copies so you can give one to the boss ,one to the mechanic and keep one for yourself . One stays in the book at all times . Every vehicle has one in the glove box. Just ask for a unused one from the operator .
Allen

csteinman

Here is one that is about as close as the Forest Service gets (forgot to mention that I work for the Forest Service). There are some things that need to be removed and some things that need to be added or made more specifice, such as what tire pressure is needed? I don't have a manual, so don't even know that. If anyone wants to wordsmith this to be more specific to the Thiokol 601, I will take all suggestions and put them together in a form that can be used by all!

Operator’s Safety and Preventive Maintenance Inspection

Crawler Tractors and Loaders
F.S No.:

F.S. Class:

Date:

Make:

Model:
Reviewed by (Unit Fleet Manager)

HR. Meter:

Unsatisfactory Items Corrected Date: By:

Log
Book Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
1. Daily entries up to date

2. Accident forms available

3. Lube intervals recorded and on schedule

4. Oil and filter elements recorded and on schedule

5. Safety and PM inspections recorded and on schedule

Cab
6. Seats in satisfactory condition

7. Lights, all operational

8. Battery snug, clean and with adequate

9. Canopy top in place and

Engine
10. Air filter and pre-cleaner Radiator cap, core, and hoses serviceable

11. Engine oil at proper level and clean

12. Crankcase and gear case breathers clean

13. Fuel filters and drains serviced as required

14. Belts properly adjusted and serviceable

15. Fuel filters and drains serviced as required

16. Belts properly adjusted and serviceable

17. Hydraulic oil and lubricant levels adequate,, converter, power controls, reservoirs, trans., gear case, final drive, etc.

18. Cooling, fuel, lubrication and hydraulic; cylinders and gear cases free from leaks

Track 19. Track, track links, pads, bolts; properly adjusted and serviceable

20. Idlers, rollers, sprockets lubricated and serviceable

21. Equalizer, main, Auxiliary springs or beams intact and tight

Accessories

22. Dozer, loader, back hoe, drum (s), assy.; tight, serviceable, no cracks.

23. Cutting edges, end bits, teeth; tight and serviceable

24. Cables and hoses serviceable

25. Spark arrestor, grease gun, tools, shovel, axe, canteen, sealed fire extinguisher; in place and serviceable

26. Appearance; free of excessive grease and dirt

Operational Test 27. Starting system, clutch, bendix; Operational

28. Generator, hour meter, gages; operational

29. Steering and transmission systems operating properly

30. Brakes adjusted and holding properly

31. Dozer-loader accessories operating properly

Remarks:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't take credit for these. As a matter of fact I posted a question at Koz's Grooming site and one of the equipment dealers posted these two checklists to use a basic foundation to build vehicle specific checklists.

One is a Pre Trip checklist, the other is a Service checklist.

If you are not familiar with Koz's Grooming site you should check it out. It is dedicated to professional trail groomers, most members there are not machine owners, but are club groomers and dealers. They have a different point of view and different focus, but there are obviously members here who are members there, and visa-versa.

Attachments

• checklist_tsa_club_pretrip_ 070207.pdf
    30.8 KB · Views: 253
  • checklist_tsa_service_ 070207.pdf
    71.8 KB · Views: 276

csteinman

Those documents are quite helpful. Thanks!
Anybody know what the wheel studs should be torqued to on the Thiokol 601?
How about tire pressure?
Track tension?
Brake handle free play?

USFS list should add water level in battery to list.

I would recommend polyfill tires instead of pnuematic...who needs a flat tire in the middle-of-nowhere? Check out Fall Line in Reno, NV.

Carry a toolkit with wrenches for the hydr fittings etc. Out most common field issue is loose fittings. You'll also want to carry some spare THF or whatever you are using for hydr fluid.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I made a kit with equipment from our supply room to splice tracks together if we had several tears or broken belts (in addition to our one splice belting piece). Never needed it.

Carry a small electrical repair kit. That came in useful when the fan on the hydro stat oil cooler failed. The system shuts down till it cools off. Found a rubbed through wire and fixed it. Fan worked and back on the trail home.

Poly fill tires I believe is a must for any snowcat but some people say they run rougher. I would rather be running rougher than not at all. Detracking??? That is right up there vehicle fire and engine failure. Not quite as bad but it can leave you strandad for a very LONG COLD night.

Check track tension every time before and after each run.

Tire pressure if not poly filled is a must! Grease all wheel bearings after each run is also a must.

I keep a grease gun in the vehicle if I am doing over night stays out in the bush.

Of course all survival gear not only needs to be a part of the check list but you need to actually know how to use it and know your kit (snow shovel is another must).

For the phone company I always carried a large water proofed rubberized duffle type bag that opened from the top. Everyone always laughed at me until we broke down one COLD night. They had NO food and I opened up my bag. I poured a little melted snow in my MRE heater and started eating a very hot meal. They were very quiet. I tossed them each one and I NEVER heard shit ever again about my big "SURVIVAL" bag. MREs and a couple of warm wool blankets can make the diffrence between surviving a night in the cold or in relative warmth / comfort.

There is alot of stuff that should be on any pre trip check list. Oil level ect ect Full Tank. NEVER park your cat over night on anything but a full tank. Check it at the yard or home to make sure its still full before departing. NEVER EVER leave without a full tank under any circumstances. Carry extra bottles of oil as well. Blah blah blah. You get the picture. Never leave with out checking that you have a full tank.

csteinman

Thanks. I haven't got the checklist done yet, but did use the snowcat on a 30 mile round trip to a communications site here in New Mexico. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 101_0087b.JPG
    101_0087b.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 101_0086b.JPG
    101_0086b.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 374
  • 101_0085b.JPG
    101_0085b.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 366
  • 101_0071b.JPG
    101_0071b.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 362

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice 601! I love seeing other owners enjoying!!! Looks like you take nice care of her too. 8)

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not so happy. :mad: Looks like the one I coulda had... :angry3:

:yum:

But it's ok, bought some new toys anyway. :thumb:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
No worries Bob... If you don't pass the boggie-worthyness-to-buy test :3_7_11v: that would earn you the option to buy one of his 601's on roids (if we EVER see one for sale instead of just making these high-end 601's for a posh clientel :coolshade ), or he doesn't throw one in with your other toy purchase ...I got you covered :wave: in the future...I'm working slowly but surely on two sweet :bling: units. Both spoon fed from birth and nursed on organic cream from the softest sterilized teet... It'll take time... and yes, I always turn off Boggie's 'stealth' GPS homing beacon when I go deep into these two cold zones. :gun2_smi: Although, I think you'll come across one in your adventures before you know it.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Mainer said:
<snip>
Although, I think you'll come across one in your adventures before you know it.

Hmmm, could that be a hint that I may be near one now? *entering hawkeye mode*

Attachments

• FF_L295_100.jpg
    FF_L295_100.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 331

GSSD06

I would highly recommend a very carefull inspection of all the bogie wheels and tires and the track belts right after every run. Then you have more time for repairs before the next time out.

I check for any nicks in tire sidewalls like from the tire guides if you were on any sidehills, etc. Look for spider cracks near grouser bolts or any tears in the belt near a grouser or backing plate. Look at the backing plates behind the grousers and make sure none of them have any nicks in them or have gotten bent.

My machine has small bogie wheels (16" diameter) so there is plenty of vibration. I have had to tighten the u-bolts on my leaf springs.

I also carry a spare tire and have practiced changing it at home so that I have the right blocks of wood and know how I want to do it. I use a very small hydraulic bottle jack and a piece of wood, but my machine has leaf springs with a frame tube that sticks out where I can get a jack on it with a piece of wood spanning a couple of backing plates.

When you survey the condition of your tracks and tires often you will be more likely to know when it is time for repairs before a failure.

Last edited:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
and yes, I always turn off Boggie's 'stealth' GPS homing beacon when I go deep into these two cold zones. :gun2_smi:

Damm, that's why the screen has gone blank and I blamed it on snow on the satellite dish. So where have you been lately? might have to resort to checking the electronic trail............Ha ..........Now your thinking better use cash when you travel and smoke signals too:yum: :yum: Hey mainer do keep Em all under lock a key at night?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
and yes, I always turn off Boggie's 'stealth' GPS homing beacon when I go deep into these two cold zones. :gun2_smi:

Damm, that's why the screen has gone blank and I blamed it on snow on the satellite dish. So where have you been lately? might have to resort to checking the electronic trail............Ha ..........Now your thinking better use cash when you travel and smoke signals too:yum: :yum: Hey mainer do keep Em all under lock a key at night?

:yum: :yum:

Oh yea... warehoused, each one dual-logging-chained (to it's neighboring cat), with 12 camera IR (1 IR flood and each cam with 72 IR LEDs)-CCTV and a 300 Gig DVR with battery backup unit and generator! 2/12 cameras inside. Obviously I have other things in there besdies cats.
I get a relatively big insurance break that way! I'm a cheap git but I spend to save! :toilet: I also don't like UV getting on any of my rubber! :puke1:
I am going to be adding LoJack to each one...wait a minute...maybe I should tell that!?!? Nah, I trust folks here... wait a minute... who's that outside??? Socal's gone subterranean and tunneled into the warehouse and is taking photos of all my frigging data plates! What the ph*? and he's doing a satellite update to the forums in real-time! Even if I deploy the dogs all my data plate security is gone, gone, gone! Just yanking yer chain Socal. :thumb: I don't have any dogs.
My storage is all set...but my workshop will be my big 2008/9 project. My lift is only a car lift...not phat and wide. I need a 601-sized lift...601-sized so I can levitate them with tracks on! Lazy-man style!
I will be adding LoJack to each one though.