• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Firing Order (?)

Bait Guy

I am currently going to change out the points and cap and rotor on my sw48 with the chrysler 231 motor. I have read some other threads giving me numbers to parts I need, however before taking off the plugs from the cap I wanted to be sure of the firing order, I read the manual I have and seems both the ford engine (300) and the chrysler have the same firing order, then I wanted to see (on the cap) where #1 was, well depending on which end of engine to start the count I was going to find out if the rotor went clockwise or the other way, seems that the firing order written down is not correct, cylinders dont match the rotation in EITHER direction. What now?:sad: I am going to assume the "front" of the engine is the end with the water pump. Just checked again the order on the cap is 163524, would this thing run like this, it does start hard but doesnt sound too bad when running.

Last edited:

Bait Guy

Thats what the problem was #5 and #6 were switched, now she starts and is responsive to the throttle. Who who have thought it would be so simple? The previous owner logged a few acres with this running this way, no wonder he sold it, didnt have a lot of power but it ran somewhat OK.

rcc

Ok... let see what you have. I have reach out to help on a few questions as have others... lets have a pic of your machine that you are getting to know. It is amazing how we can get to love these nice tracked machines.

Bait Guy

Here goes my skill of photos:clap::w00t2:

Attachments

• IMG_2707.jpg
    IMG_2707.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_2708.jpg
    IMG_2708.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2709.jpg
    IMG_2709.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 191

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
all your six's will have the same firing order remember it as to young to old and just right 16 35 24

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Very nice looking SW :thumb:

I'm a bit obsessive and I would paint the wheels :)

The engine is 251. I only mention this because there is another Chrysler engine from same years that is a 230.x and sometimes called 231. 230 and 218 block length is 22-23". 251 and 265 block length 2" more.

rcc

I like the analogy but the firing order is 153624 (not 163524) in my manual. The electronic ignition works great, I posted some info on this on another thread.
Also, I think the pictures are for your other post regarding questions on the track tire guides. These are the "P" shaped guides, yours look like they are custom rubber crosslinks and the bolts look like they are 3/8" carriage bolts. You should be able to get these from MN-Outdoors, in Minn.

rcc

Oh forgot to mention that you have a nice looking machine.

The cylinder numbering is from the front (water pump) of the engine 1-2-3-4-5-6.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been years, but didn't those engines have the firing order stamped on the intake manifold?

Here's a pic I found as an example.

2012-07-07_16-38-40_673.jpg

rcc

Maybe you can clean this up so we can read it! Maybe I just don't understand your post here! No my four 251's do not have this on the manifold.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can't clean it up since it's a pic I took off the internet.

All I'm saying is that many engines of yesteryear had the firing order cast directly somewhere on the block (normally near the distributor) or intake manifold.

rcc

bczoom, sorry but I mistook the quote under the picture you posted as your reply. Sorry about that!
The firing order on the 251 should be cast into the head just behind the thermostat housing. I attached two pic's from 2 of my engines I am rebuilding for the J5's.

Attachments

• 2014-03-10 17.34.38.jpg
    2014-03-10 17.34.38.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 2014-05-27 19.56.30.jpg
    2014-05-27 19.56.30.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 159
so pics of the one (J5) or so i was told, actually an SW54, yellow pic is the shape i bought it, green is after mods! chged: track belts,sprockets,1/4 of crosslinks, rad replaced and moved to rear,6000lb. electric winch used w/ chain chokers, put on hydraulics using gm power steering pump off of a 5 ton truck,slide off snow blade to logging blade. chg. electrics to GM alternator 70 amp. pics of logs: 16ft. cedar on truck, 16ft. and shorter on ground are spruce.

Attachments

• img077.jpg
    img077.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 111
  • old computer files 617.jpg
    old computer files 617.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 110
  • img075.jpg
    img075.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 106
  • img078.jpg
    img078.jpg