• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

For sale - Generators (maybe)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Emergency Power

bczoom said:
Dave,

Why battery power? Are you going to run things at 12v DC or run through an inverter to 110v AC?

How about a bigger generator? I have a couple 200,000w generators I may be selling in the near future. I figure it'll power 8-10 houses. :eek:

So what condition are those 200,000 w generators in? What fuel do they use? What do you think you'd part with one for? And do I get a special friend's discount if I buy one?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
So what condition are those 200,000 w generators in? What fuel do they use? What do you think you'd part with one for? And do I get a special friend's discount if I buy one?

Bob,
I would say these are in "like new" condition. The hour meters on both are less than 300 hours.

Fuel is kerosene or probably jet engine fuel. They are turbine engines driving the generator head.

Pricing will be reasonable but I don't have an exact number. We need to keep them in place until sale is completed and we've decided what we're going to do with the building (which will determine if we need any of them).

We also need to figure out the electric as it applies to the switching gear and such. If we're going to part with the generators, it would be best if all the switching gear goes with it.

I can't fire them up as we need a couple things electrically checked. Once that's done, we'll need to bring in some fuel and 24v DC power to get them started.

I can point out a lot of the components (as well as the generators in the pics in the bunker thread).

Brian

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
If Bobs massive demand for power doesn't require both generators, keep me in mind for the other one.....it's something I don't have.............(turbine power , eh)..........cool...........it's time for another roadtrip to somewhere I haven't been for something I don't really need.................... :D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, I would not be interested in those. Sorry. If they were set up for natural gas I might have considered one for the warehouse. The whole hurricane Katrina thing got me thinking about a back up solution as insurance, but my insurance policy forbids bulk fuel storage on my property in case of a leak (we have a creek within 80 feet of the building) and my liability insurance won't permit it.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Oooh, Oooh - I can have bulk fuel stored on my farm. Please keep me in mind when/if sale time makes it's appearance.

Thanks!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wannafish said:
Oooh, Oooh - I can have bulk fuel stored on my farm. Please keep me in mind when/if sale time makes it's appearance.
Wannafish,

I don't want to detract any potential buyers but isn't 200 KW's a bit much for a farm? For 110/220 volt it'll provide close to 700 amps.

I can't find the details right now but as I recall, fuel consumption at 25% load is 12 gph. At 100% load, it's around 40 gph.

BTW - the manufacturer is a subsidary of Caterpillar.

Brian

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
"but isn't 200 KW's a bit much for a farm? "

BC-Z, Thanks for thinking of me:boobies: !
I have 3 houses all in a row, plus my Dad's house on the end = 4 houses all in a row (with a fifth house coming in the next year or two). It would be nice to be able to throw a transfer switch on a pole and feed all the houses from one generator when the electicity goes out for several days (as it has at least every 2 years for the last 40), instead of firing up each gen set, then going back and fueling them several times a day.

And think of the sawmill I could power with it...my boys quiver at just the thought of it!:a1:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Under the circumstances you've provided, it may just be close to being the "right size". It may be a bit large but they don't mind running at 50% and waiting on a load.
PS. I haven't forgotten about our conversation via PM about a month or 2 ago. You may be the guinea pig if you want to give it a try.