• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wife wants another greenhouse!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Crazy woman wants another one slightly larger than the first one. If not for the wind and the plastic not lasting more than 3-4 years I would just do a tube frame one. I need to do some heat load calculations and see if my boiler is big enough to run another one. If she was happy with 60 degrees it would help a lot. I am leaning toward doing all the seed starting in the first greenhouse and then transferring the plants to the second one to finish them. I may try a double plastic flat ceiling in the first one where I would have a 4" air trap to keep the heat down lower. It takes a lot of btus to heat with all that glass and plastic.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Crazy woman wants another one slightly larger than the first one. If not for the wind and the plastic not lasting more than 3-4 years I would just do a tube frame one. I need to do some heat load calculations and see if my boiler is big enough to run another one. If she was happy with 60 degrees it would help a lot. I am leaning toward doing all the seed starting in the first greenhouse and then transferring the plants to the second one to finish them. I may try a double plastic flat ceiling in the first one where I would have a 4" air trap to keep the heat down lower. It takes a lot of btus to heat with all that glass and plastic.

Resistance if futile ! Just figure out how to do it .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well as John said I give up and start gathering stuff up to do another one. First priority is a hydrant so I ended up tunneling under the first one to hook on a new hydrant. Just as I finished hooking up the pipe a thunderstorm came rolling in and put an end to that for a day or so. We got a bunch of rain over about a 6 hour period. I went down to a buddy of mine and hooked in his hot water heat on an addition he built. He hooked me up with a complete insulated sliding glass door as well as 2 panels from another one and a good double hung window. I bought a door for $2 at a yard sale last week and my buddy is looking for an exterior door as well. He has 26' of the insulated Pex pipe for me so that will help keep the cost down a bit. I am going to pick up the posts later and try to get them in this week as well as a top band and sills. Found 2 cast iron radiators but the Amish kids are all busy getting corn in so I am still looking for someone to take the 80 mile drive to get them. If not I will have to use baseboard coils and Pex for heat.

Attachments

• 2nd greenhouse 007.jpg
    2nd greenhouse 007.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 2nd greenhouse 008.jpg
    2nd greenhouse 008.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 2nd greenhouse 009.jpg
    2nd greenhouse 009.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 157
  • 2nd greenhouse 010.jpg
    2nd greenhouse 010.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 2nd greenhouse 013.jpg
    2nd greenhouse 013.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 156

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like your off to a good start , looking forward to the progress pics :biggrin:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I've helped people build greenhouses out of non-sliding doors from salvage yards before - occasionally you find them pretty cheap and they cover a lot of area.
how big a greenhouse is she wanting this time?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I've helped people build greenhouses out of non-sliding doors from salvage yards before - occasionally you find them pretty cheap and they cover a lot of area.
how big a greenhouse is she wanting this time?

Well tomorrow I will run up to the habitat for humanity sale barn as she spied another slider and some windows there today. As for how big, it will be whatever size I make it!:biggrin: The bigger it gets the harder it is to heat. Since we live on top of the hill and get a lot of wind it will be 12X20 and might have a lower pitch roof with 2X6 rafters so I can use the same size roof panels. Got to do some figuring yet. First I need to gather the doors and windows cheap, then build around them.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I got the hydrant and one post in and backfilled. This Northeaster is still swirling rain on us so I unloaded the lumber off the truck and am going to pick up the radiators tomorrow morning. Found another door in my BIL's barn that will work so just need a few more windows. I will get the posts in and top plate on while I check around for windows. I can get the stone and pex in before I do the walls and roof and be that far ahead of the weather.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Got things leveled up and pushed the slab wood pile back so I have room to dig the rest of the post holes. Got these radiators today. They will go in the barn till i have the pex and stone in place. They are so heavy I will move them in with the skid steer or backhoe before we build the side walls. Should have enough wood to heat them up!

Attachments

• sunrise and cat 006.jpg
    sunrise and cat 006.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 123
  • sunrise and cat 008.jpg
    sunrise and cat 008.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 123
  • sunrise and cat 009.jpg
    sunrise and cat 009.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 121
  • sunrise and cat 010.jpg
    sunrise and cat 010.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 120

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I buy the slab wood from the Amish sawmills that adjoin my farm. $30 for a full dump truck load. That pile is about 7 of my dump truck loads. I just drive it down and park it under the conveyor and retrieve it when it is full. Hard to beat hardwood slabs, mostly oak,cherry and maple. The split wood is from my own woods. We have alot of ash that is dying from the borer that is spreading. Our whole area is quarantined for timber sales of ash wood so I might as well burn it.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought the Amish cannot run machines.

They run anything you or I run but not with electric motors. They have more friggin gas engines than you can ever imagine. A good sawmill will have at least 2 or 3 diesel engines running a saw, edger, planer and a chop saw and conveyor. My neighbor's is automated with trip dogs for a lot of the operations. They manually roll the logs down to the saw and cut the boards. Then they throw them on the edger and it rips the width and a conveyor takes the board and strips to another operator who stacks the boards and throws the strips onto another conveyor that cuts them to length and drops them on another conveyor that takes the pieces out to my truck or a dump pile. Every machine has a blower to collect the sawdust and take it out overhead to a big shed (30X30) where it is piled till the pellet factory hauls it away. They have more shafts and bearing running belts in all directions. Their machine shops are the same way.

Last edited:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
No pellets for me. My boiler would eat 2 bags at a shot. Got the rest of the posts in and leveled up the site yesterday. Stone is piled and ready to spread then put the treated bottom band boards on. Then it will be time for insulation and pex with more stone.

Attachments

• 2nd greenhouse 019.jpg
    2nd greenhouse 019.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 2nd greenhouse 020.jpg
    2nd greenhouse 020.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 93

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought it was you too Bill, standing in a ditch with suspenders on.
Looks like you've got a miners hat on too..
Or... maybe I need to clean my specs :yum:
DAMN Pg , good eyes :biggrin: , I hadta go back & look at every pic a dozen times before I could even see what you were talking about in the last pic , it does appear to look like what you described , but I was assuming Bill was taking the pics . Maybe a ghost ? :yum:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you all are doing better drugs than me! the only thing in the ditch is a shadow of the backhoe bucket!:hammer:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you all are doing better drugs than me! the only thing in the ditch is a shadow of the backhoe bucket!:hammer:
In the last pic Bill , left of the pile of gravel back by the white pipe laying on the ground , It damn sure looks like what PG described but I dont think it is ? :unsure:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ummm, as best I can tell, that's a fuel tank.
Looking at the shape, I can tell where it could be confused for being Bill. :hide: