• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"virus.exe.zip" showing up on available wireless networks?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Help?

First time I noticed this.

On my list of available networks, I have a network named "virus.exe.zip"

I ran all the security scans I have and found nothing. I searched my drive for the file and it is not there.

What is this?

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
If it is showing up as an available network, then it is something that the owner of the router decided to naim their router. One can set the SSID (Name of the router) to anything one chooses. I would not worry about it.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
All I can say is dont google "virus.exe.zip" the very first thing thats listed set of all of my security software as its a trojan worm and I damn near couldnt get it shut down . :unsure:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I did google it, but I did not have any issues. I am rerunning full scans again.

If it is a wireless network named virus.exe.zip is full bars, like right here on top of the house.
It is a WPA2-PSK security type if that means anything.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
If it is showing up as an available network, then it is something that the owner of the router decided to naim their router. One can set the SSID (Name of the router) to anything one chooses. I would not worry about it.

I did google it, but I did not have any issues. I am rerunning full scans again.

If it is a wireless network named virus.exe.zip is full bars, like right here on top of the house.
It is a WPA2-PSK security type if that means anything.

I agree with Adillo, but the 5 bars is a bit odd. How close are your neighbors? I only get 3 bars from my neighbor's router, and his house is only about 15' away. But then again, it's a 802.11g broadcast. As I understand, 802.11n routers have a much greater range.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It shows 802.11n, as is mine. I asked the neighbors - nobody else is connected wirelessly. Could this thing be sitting on my router?

The next closest buildings are on the other side of the river, which is a good city block wide where I am at. There's a marina just north of us, but I do sometimes "see" their network, but it is usually undetected or detected very weak.

What is the "-PSK"? My router does not show that after the "WPA2".