• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lowes closing in Canada

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
This week Lowe's announced that it is closing 34 stores in Canada including 26 ronas that are underperforming. We have one here that is closing in January. It only opened 2 years ago. We also have a home depot a block away.

The Lowe's store here is located in our biggest mall. The location was originally a zellers for years until they folded. It sat empty for a couple years until target came in and totally revamped the place. They lasted less than 2 years before closing all their Canadian stores. Lowes took over the location and totally revamped it to meet their needs. Now they're gone.

https://business.financialpost.com/...s-closing-34-underperforming-stores-in-canada

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Our microwave died unexpectedly yesterday so I went to the city last night to find a new one. I checked out 5 different stores looking for the best deal including lowes. Lowes actually had the lowest sticker price and since they already started their liquidation sales, the entire store was 20-50% off. The advertised price was $218 for the one I was looking at. I loaded it into a cart and when I got to the till, I was advised that they aren't following their advertised sale price but rather the manufacturer suggested retail which was $319. So they start at that, take off the advertised sale percentage which was 20% for this. Then add in the tax. I about lost it and walked away without the microwave as the total came out to $298. What a joke. I went across to home depot and got the exact same microwave at their full advertised price without any sale for less than lowes with a 20% sale.

So they think that jacking up the prices to full suggested retail then knocking off the sale percentage is going to bring people in the store.

They all do it. Sears did the same thing when they closed.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe Lowes has lost their original business model. Best quality, professionals on staff with the best advice, and good economic pricing. They hired former carpenters, appliance technicians and interior design experts. their lumber was top notch and the hardware and fixtures was the best in town.

Now it's all pricing gimmicks with McDonald's rejects behind the counters and bean counter economics dictating quality.

Menards has them beat hands down. On big projects, I used to drive 50 miles or more to go there. We finally have one in town.

Lowe's is doing the same thing that Sear's tried. After over 100 years of providing consistent value for goods and services, Sears went the Wal-Mart route. Lower quality help, lower quality service and cheap goods to raise margins.

Sears is gone. Lowe's may well follow. For the very same reasons.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, I remember when Sears was the place to go for everything.
The one in the mall in Lima,Ohio died a slow death until they were nothing but Craftsman tools and clothing.
I think they're closed out now.
Lowe's is a joke, as was Home Depot.
I'll drive to Defiance if I ever need anything and it'll be Menards, for sure.

Bannedjoe

We don't have a Lowe's close to us.
We do have home dopes though.
Seriously understaffed, with maybe 1 in 10 workers actually able to perform their jobs with a modicum of knowledge.

One of the last times I was there, a guy was back in the appliance area screaming his lungs out.
Does anybody %^%#$# work here????
Hello?????
##@$%^!!!!!! Hello??????
Can someone %^^%%ing help me?????

I didn't stick around to wait for the outcome.

We do have an amazing True Value though.
A bunch of older guys who have probably been there their whole lives.
These guys know their shit, and actually care.

You can walk in there with two things that have absolutely no business being being connected together, and by the time these guys are done rooting around for you, you will walk out with them perfectly joined.

Yeah, they cost a little more, but everything they carry is almost always worth the money.
Also if you pay at the service desk with cash, (instead of the checkout) they will eat it on the tax.
Their only drawback is all the wood is stored outside.
You might pick up a few nice 2x4's, but by the time you get home, they've turned into pretzels.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I wish we had menards up here. The closest one is in Duluth Minnesota 4.5 hrs south of us.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Menards hasn't come as far south as Texas yet. They've quit around Missouri I think. When they do, they'll find business ripe for the taking. We've Lowe's and Home Depot within 30 miles but they have turned to crap in the last 10 years. The service is horrible. Even our local Ace Hardware is on a downward slope. They have two employees that have been there since it opened, the manager and asst manager, and a bunch of 18-year old kids who've never changed a lightbulb. The other place in town was always pitiful but has been recently bought out so we'll see what happens with it but I don't have any great expectation for it improving.

The sad thing is that the Lowe's which is 12 miles away is always busy, in fact it is always mobbed, but it's really because there is no place else to go. It's okay if you go in there knowing what you want but heaven help you if you need some guidance.

Oh how I miss my local hardware store in Dallas. It had been in the same family for 70 years. All the employees had been there for ever. In fact, the "youngster" had been employed there for over 20 years. You walked in the door and told them what your project was, they referred you to the employee with the expertise and, lo and behold, it was easy shopping. I even left there once with a check list of things to "keep in mind" while I was doing a bathroom renovation. But alas, the owners got too old and eventually closed the place down. It turned in to a liquor store and a Chinese restaurant.

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Menards hasn't come as far south as Texas yet. They've quit around Missouri I think. When they do, they'll find business ripe for the taking. We've Lowe's and Home Depot within 30 miles but they have turned to crap in the last 10 years. The service is horrible. Even our local Ace Hardware is on a downward slope. They have two employees that have been there since it opened, the manager and asst manager, and a bunch of 18-year old kids who've never changed a lightbulb. The other place in town was always pitiful but has been recently bought out so we'll see what happens with it but I don't have any great expectation for it improving.

The sad thing is that the Lowe's which is 12 miles away is always busy, in fact it is always mobbed, but it's really because there is no place else to go. It's okay if you go in there knowing what you want but heaven help you if you need some guidance.

Oh how I miss my local hardware store in Dallas. It had been in the same family for 70 years. All the employees had been there for ever. In fact, the "youngster" had been employed there for over 20 years. You walked in the door and told them what your project was, they referred you to the employee with the expertise and, lo and behold, it was easy shopping. I even left there once with a check list of things to "keep in mind" while I was doing a bathroom renovation. But alas, the owners got too old and eventually closed the place down. It turned in to a liquor store and a Chinese restaurant.

Your story reminded me of one of the Lumber company stores in St louis back when I flipped my house, 1977. Always helpful staff, always loaded my lumber themselves and always had the good stuff. The name escapes me.

It's now a Car Max lot.

Bamby

It's a race to the bottom. Capitalism works at it's best in a privately owned and controlled business structure. As many of you posted above when a business is owned, managed, and controlled by the owner the quality of goods and services tended to be much higher. The owner can have total control of finances and even put a fund aside for long term growth.

Under corporate ownership capital investments that are determined by a CEO and a board of directors and stock holders. The only real value they are concerned with is short term capitol gains. They're capable of almost anything in their efforts to drive their costs down up to and including selling inferior junk, or even serving shit on a shingle as long as us idiots are willing to buy it.

Personally I feel we're on coarse for one hell of train wreck. I along for the ride because it appears it's a one way ticket.......

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I got this from an article @ Forbes.

Retail stores used to be places where merchants would assemble an array of product they’ve selected for their consumers. That was important because consumers had nowhere else where they could see such a broad array of products. Now that everyone has all the selection they could want on their phone, the original idea is obsolete. As smartphone penetration and internet use has increased, the importance of retail stores has declined.

That’s not all. The biggest reason why stores are closing now is that what consumers want has changed OR the stores aren't meeting consumer needs.

Bamby

I got this from an article @ Forbes.

Retail stores used to be places where merchants would assemble an array of product they’ve selected for their consumers. That was important because consumers had nowhere else where they could see such a broad array of products. Now that everyone has all the selection they could want on their phone, the original idea is obsolete. As smartphone penetration and internet use has increased, the importance of retail stores has declined.

That’s not all. The biggest reason why stores are closing now is that what consumers want has changed OR the stores aren't meeting consumer needs.

One also has to remember they are reflections of one another, selling the same goods often within eyesight of one another. Car part outfits also just as guilty. If the market could have supported one a butthurt competitor will build in their shadow in an attempt to destroy their market.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
One also has to remember they are reflections of one another, selling the same goods often within eyesight of one another. Car part outfits also just as guilty. If the market could have supported one a butthurt competitor will build in their shadow in an attempt to destroy their market.

Yup, like NAPA, Autozone and O'Reilly's.
All along the same strip malls around here.
Makes you wonder at first,when there is a groundbreaking to build, then you see it.
Oh look! Another one of those.

Bannedjoe

If the market could have supported one a butthurt competitor will build in their shadow in an attempt to destroy their market.

This is the shit that's just unbelievable to me.

Everywhere you see a Mcdonalds, there's a Burger king within walking distance.
See a petsmart, petco is probably next door.
Walgreen's...CVS.
Oriely's....Autozone.
It never ends.

I guess it's just my thinking, morals and whathaveyou, but I wouldn't ever consider setting up shop right next to someone else already doing the same thing.
It just wouldn't feel right.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose big business recognize themselves as their own entity.
Depending on the product/business the success of such is mostly dependent on the area.

For example; they put a Popeye's chicken in the south end of Lima because the black community demanded it.
Once the restaurant went up, 1 month later it was robbed by gang hoodlums.
Shoulda put it in Fort Shawnee lol

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I just realized something. When Sears closed, their craftsman line of tools was eventually picked up by lowes. Now with lowes closing, I wonder who will carry that line?

We have Canadian tire up here that carries mastercraft tools which is very similar quality to craftsman. I guess it's going to be mastercraft from now on unless somewhere else decides to pick up the line.

We also have snap on and mac but those are generally geared more towards the professional mechanic. And Walmart has their cheap garbage brand. I believe home depot has husky tools which appear to be another equivalent option. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
So I just realized something. When Sears closed, their craftsman line of tools was eventually picked up by lowes. Now with lowes closing, I wonder who will carry that line?

We have Canadian tire up here that carries mastercraft tools which is very similar quality to craftsman. I guess it's going to be mastercraft from now on unless somewhere else decides to pick up the line.

We also have snap on and mac but those are generally geared more towards the professional mechanic. And Walmart has their cheap garbage brand. I believe home depot has husky tools which appear to be another equivalent option. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Lowes owns the "Craftsman" brand. I hope they don't ruin it as well.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Down where I am ACE Hardware has sold the Craftsman brand of tools for a number of years. I don't know what kind of marketing arrangement they had with Sears.