• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

601 wheels and tires. what to replace with?

Morepwr

Hi All:tiphat: new member here. I've got a 65 Thiokol 601. purchased about three years ago. It's going to need a lot of work, mostly cosmetic, but some mechanical. that from time to time I'll be needing help with, so thanks in advance and here goes with my first question.

I want to replace the oe wheels and tires, but can't find the right size wheel anywhere ag,automotive or trailer. as for the tires, I found the correct biasply replacement through Coker Tires but would prefer to go with radials due to cost. so, any suggestions for wheels and will radials work on a cat?

Aaron.

Attachments

• P1030261s.jpg
    P1030261s.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 341

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Aaron, one thing to consider when changing the tires from Bias Ply to Radial is that the older style bias ply tires often have a more rigid sidewall and the radial tires are generally more soft sided. Given that, you may find that the radial may not work well inside your track guides as the softer side may try to walk out of the track? If I went with a radial, I would seriously consider having them foam filled to make them more rigid. Unfortunately foam fill will also stiften the ride and add weight too.

It is just something to consider.

Morepwr

Thanks Skurka, that's exactly what I was wondering. since the cost of foam filling radials will null any cost savings I'd have gained with the them, I'll stick with bias plys,. they've worked just fine for 40 years.

anybody got anything on the rims?

weatherby

As far as rims go I've been told the original rims are ford tractor rims that were on the front of older ford & fordson major tractors. I had a I think 1963 Fordson Major Diesel tractor that I restored a wile back and I'm sure it had the same lug pattern and for tires It's aether Choker tire or (Crop Row) tires. The tires found on the front of non 4x4 farm tractors like the ones on this tractor.

Attachments

• tractor3.jpg
    tractor3.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 293

Morepwr

Thank you Weatherby, I'll see if I can't find a supplier for those. they sure do look the same,.