• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What to plant in August?

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
What to plant veggie-wise in a PA August? I would love to have some pumpkins this year, but I am past the planting period, I believe. Maybe next year. But what would you say would be good around this time? I feel my options are limited, as the spot I have in mind does not get a whole lot of sun. It gets some, but not alot. I may be SOL at this point, but looking for ideas anyway.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
May get some down where you are. They like a lot of sun though.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
yeah thats what i thought. truth be told i really never took notice to how much sub the box gets. but i know it isbt alot

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I am going to plant some peas and see what happens. Hopefully it will stay kewl enough for them.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Peas I planted last week are up about 2-3 inches already. They are a heat tolerant variety so even if it heats back up they should be OK.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The ones I have are not heat tolerant. I planted them in the spring and within a week they were up 2". The deer found them and leveled them over night. Pulled the roots and seed right up.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I think peas are the ticket for now. Maybe broccoli too. Now. I just neet to get my ass in gear tilling and mixing, and we should be ready to go :yum:

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
August is a good time to plant drugs on your boss to make way for a much needed promotion.:yum::yum::yum:

August is a great month in the garden for many of us. Summer crops are overwhelming us with their productivity (hopefully!) And the crops planted last month are coming along great. You can still plant in August. For many gardeners the north, the focus will be on the fast-maturing cool-season crops in autumn (as well as planning for the winter garden, if you have a low tunnel or greenhouse to grow). Southern gardeners, although still struggling with high temperatures, can start looking forward with some relief too.

Are listed below by region of the USA, the vegetables and herbs can be planted in August. Unless specifically listed as "transplants" elements of this list can be sown directly in the garden this month.

Northern U.S. Canada and South

U.S. Central / Midwest

Rocket
Beet
Broccoli (transplants)
Brussels sprouts (transplants)
Col (Transplants)
Carrots
Cauliflower (transplants)
Chinese cabbage
Collard greens
Kale
Mustard greens
Peas
Radishes
Spinach
Chard

Last edited by a moderator:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well my peas are over 2ft. up the wire and they are calling for a hard frost tonight.:hammer: Going to get wet gathering things into the greenhouses today.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well they backed off the frost forecast since it is supposed to be cloudy. Only calling for mid 30's now. Still need to bring some things in as temps under 40 are hard on some flowers.