• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte 1200-A production numbers and dates?

Snowcat Pat

Hi there, Can anyone tell me about how many A model Sprytes with the coil spring axles were made and about what year or serial number they began using rubber torsion axles?
Also about how many came with OC-4 rear ends and about what year or serial number they begin production using the OC-12?
Also was the A style 36 inch square tubing track used on any later machines or only the coil spring Sprytes?
I wonder how many of the coil spring and OC-4 equipped Sprytes are still operating?
We just got our latest project, Spryte 1201-A #260 fully disassembled and we are getting into some production of replacement parts. Any info you will share is helpful.
Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pat, If you end up needing any of the coil springs we have a company that manufactures them for us. the only draw back is the minumum order is 8
and they run about 200.00 each lefts and rights. They also make us the larger coils for the Nodwells all the way up to 1.250 diameter. We also have a company that makes us the Track cleats from spring steel. but the lead times are 8-12 weeks they make most of the cleats for all track machines.

Snowcat Pat

Thanks boggie, All the springs are unbroken at this time, but the phenolic axle bushings are worn out so I am making replacements using polyurethane (Shore 75D). I am removing the blade mount and don't plan on putting a blade back on for the first season, so maybe the springs will last a little longer. We'll direct our inquiries for them to you.

Spring steel square tubing cleats? Or is the cleat you describe a different style? The original A style cleats I have worked with on this and other Sprytes is a fabricated weldment based on a square tube with integral tire guides. Then there was a heavier and taller replacement to fit that track but was a U channel with a strap welded inside and I'm not sure if it too had the welded in tire guides. Then came the now common J-cleat with bolt on tire guides. Unless the original square tubing type is available I think we should manufacture them.
All the parts we are making with a view towards production. Our stainless steel OC-12 slave cylinders have been well received for over ten years and not one failure. We want to add more parts to serve the owners of the smaller Thiokol/LMC. The OC-4 slave cylinder has proven hard to find so we are starting production of those out of stainless steel too.

Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

Pat,
Can you add an additional (10) phenolic axle bushings to your production run. I'm near starting to put the sub frame assembly back together. Glad to hear you picked up a 1200.. Now you have a rear slave that we were talking about a couple months back.
Thanks,
John

snotrans

Pat; Call me, I have most all of Thiokol's production years and serial number's information in our files ,that may help. Bill Guthrie 208-549-2501

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am curious what is "shore 75D"? We made new axle bushings out of ABS thinking it would be better than nothing. Seemed to work good last season and time will tell if it falls apart quickly. Pat, if you end up needing a coil spring let me know I'll give you one. If you're thinking about manufacturing replacement parts A-Model Spryte and 1404 Imp drive axles are getting hard to find.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Shore 75D is a Durometer and is the international standard for measuring hardness of rubber,plastic and most non-metalic materials. one obect may fall in more than one scale-for example, a typical shoe heel is 95 shore OO,Shore 70A,and 22 shore D.

racquet balls are 35 shore OO,rubber bands are 30 shore A,tires are normally
60 shore A,hard hats are 75 shore D

If anyone ever needs axles we have the facilty to manufacture and heat treat them.

We have been building the bushings from Nylon 6/6

Snowcat Pat

Thanks for the responses. The Shore 75D is the hardness that the polyurethane molders sell for bearing or bushing material, it is machinable. I saw a Spryte with PVC pipe for bushings and they were squished out. I don't know how long they ran but I do know how long wearing polyurethane can be, and as rough as the axle brackets are and worn out of round axles I think that the polyurethane might last a long time, but cost more initially. Sort of the same reason I make slave cylinders from stainless steel.

Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

Snowcat Pat

Hey mtncrawler, thanks for the offer on the spring. What is the procedure for changing out a coil spring? It looks to me like the axle has to be cut apart to remove and re-install the spring, then weld it back up, am I missing something here? boggie-how is it done?

SnoOps, I have the OC-12 versions in stock when your ready, OC-4 versions are not done yet.

Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pat, I do not have a 1200-A here to look at right know but there should be a bolt either at the end of the spring or towards the center of the axle which when removed allows the center axle to be rotated and also removed sometimes they get pretty rusty.:)

Phenolic axle bushings

Folks,
Pat's machined phenolic axle bushings arrived yesterday and are worth every dime. Thanks Pat for stepping up and custom machining. Checks in the mail.
John

Bushing Install

Mike,
I'll get a pic tonight of the new parts and used side by side. What a differance. Install will be a while out, as I need to blast, prime and paint sub frame. Not had the time this summer due to a family illness. Hope to get started again.