• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 1201B-41 question

scooterd

I've started my restoration on the Thiokol, but have a few questions for you guys. Would you leave the 200 and the four speed or go with a 300 and an automatic. I have both. I just can't decide what to go with. The 300 looks like it is quite a bit heavier, but the power gain may make it worth while! Also, what is the best way to strip the old paint?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Give it a little bit of time, some folks check in here daily, others about once a week.

But do you knwo the horsepower for each engine? How about the weight difference between the 200 with manual transmission and the 300 with the auto tranny? The total difference is one of the factors you need to know. Then you can figure out if that difference is really going to do much to impact the pounds per square inch laid down at the tracks.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I was under the impression thet the 300 and 200 were the same block and almost identical on power. Personally I would go with a 300 but dont add a second transmission. You would get way to much gear multiplication on the OC4 Clarke transaxle. Its a good unit as long as you dont abuse it. For stripping the "OLD" paint use JASCO epoxy and paint remover. I have been trying all kinds of CRAP and have seen great results with the Jasco! I will get some pics in the morning after I put some Jasco on one of my fenders.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have a B Model you have an OC-12, not an OC-4 drive. It will take everything that 300 six cylinder/C-6 automatic can give it. Look at earlier post - "Thiokol differentials" for pictures of these diff's to determine what you have.

scooterd

Yes, it's an OC-12. I meant the C4 Ford trans. Should have clarified that. I was thinking of running the C4 ford auto instead of the C6. I'm new at posting on the forum, so sometimes I don't do a good job typing what I want to say. Still looking for the wieghts of those motors. Thanks

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Scooterd, That machine has the OC-12, I remember looking at it. Go with the 300, the tranny depends on what you are going to use it for. if just normal use then the automatic is nice.manuals are tougher in abusive situations. that differential can take more Hp than a 300 ford can put out
that same diff. is used on some rigs which have GVW's over 20,000 pounds

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
B-Models came both with and without reductions on the OC-12. C-Models all were reducted and used C-6 automatics. Will a C-4 hold up? Probably be easier on it if you have reductions (lower gearing). If the 200 six and manual transmission is still working why not use it for awhile and think about what your needs are?

scooterd

In 1971, the 200 Ford was rated at 120 HP. According to the web page I found, in 1978 the 300 was rated at 114 HP. In 1987 they bumped that up to 150 HP. The 300 that I have came out of a 1980 F-150. :( Looks like I'm leaning more towards the 200, but will do a little more research on this!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
At least one model of Thiokol Imp came with 2 transmissions. Probably for grooming. It is a "Snow Tractor" so it seems logical that one might want to have a wide variety of gearing to utilize the limited engine HP as effectively as possible.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
scooterd said:
In 1971, the 200 Ford was rated at 120 HP. According to the web page I found, in 1978 the 300 was rated at 114 HP. In 1987 they bumped that up to 150 HP. The 300 that I have came out of a 1980 F-150. :( Looks like I'm leaning more towards the 200, but will do a little more research on this!
The 200 is a smaller block and seems to fit nice,but the 300 has a considerable amount of torque ,:drive2: depending if you are going to pull a heavy drag with it , I prefer the "big block" the 200 is fine for normal use.:myopinion: :my2cents:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Lyndon has a valid point. Why not add a second transmission? Since he has a C-12 then that is not a weak link. I would use the heavy duty C6 Ford auto over the C4. I would not put the weaker of the two in for sure. Now you have a gear for anything.