• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Old Stuff ... Pics / old Ads etc

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Older than dirt quiz.

I wonder about the premise of this quiz. If you were really older than dirt you would not remember any of this as your memory would be goneski. :th_lmao:

Don't recall a 5 and dime but we did have 5 and 10 stores as in Ben Franklin 5 & 10. Or am I losing it?

I'm older than dirt.

everything on the list!!!

Skate keys??/ yes, I used to pull my brothers, who were wearing the clip on skates, behind my Schwinn 3 speed to practice water skiing.

Milk delivered in glass bottles?? yes. I remember a horse drawn milk wagon and the horse knew every stop.
45 RPM records, hell I still have the old 78 RPM records and a wind up Victrola.

Had an Uncle who wouldn't own anything but a Stude.

And my metal Lunch box said Roy Rogers!!!!!
Anyone remember 56 in 56. Lee Iacocca's Ford sales campaign???
https://www.autonews.com/article/20030616/SUB/306160757/iacocca-from-56-for-56-to-company-president

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm older than dirt too.
I don't remember blackjack gum. I saw old studebakers but don't recall seeing one on the road ...otherwise I remember all of them.

-----------------------------
anyone remember this ad from 1964?

Attachments

• WD-40Ad1964.jpg
    WD-40Ad1964.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 169

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm older than dirt too.
I don't remember blackjack gum. I saw old studebakers but don't recall seeing one on the road ...otherwise I remember all of them.

LOL:yum:

Last edited:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Older than dirt quiz.

I wonder about the premise of this quiz. If you were really older than dirt you would not remember any of this as your memory would be goneski. :th_lmao:

Don't recall a 5 and dime but we did have 5 and 10 stores as in Ben Franklin 5 & 10. Or am I losing it?

Older than dirt? Must be, cause I remember every item on that list! :bolt:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
yep

Attachments

• doYouREMEMber.jpg
    doYouREMEMber.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 136

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Remember Rack component stereo systems. I still have one ....I did take the bodacious cassette player out of it though (know anyone that wants to buy a top of the line cassette player)

How did I miss this one. Hell Yah, I still got one. I don't know why, it hasn't been connected to the big ol' speakers or even plugged in for years. It's full of Sony components too. A bunch of LPs are stored underneath and dozens of cassette tapes on top.

I got it as a Christmas present from my wife in 1986 (I think?)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I just thought of one to remember.

Ever live in a rural area where the address was the same for several houses and they put the letters A, B, C... after the house #? (E.g. 120A, 120B)

Where I grew up, there were 7 houses on over 100 acres and we shared the same number, just had a letter after it.

Where I live now, it wasn't until about 15-20 years ago they dropped that and gave every house it's own number. I remember when we bought the place, I thought it sucked having the B attached to our address. It sounded like we lived in an apartment but we have over 10 acres.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Never heard of that BC.
I grew up mostly in one town or another. We had 3 or 4 digits for our house number. Now we live out in the sticks and everyone has 5 digits in their house number. When giving the address out people think I stuttered.

A co worker lives out a Rural route and we were invited over for dinner. He told me his house was 8.36 miles out the road. Me being me ..I had to ask how the hell did you get it down to .36? What did you use to measure that last digit? He told me the house numbers on that road are equivalent to how many miles from the 4 lane. Pretty kewl. First I'd heard of any place doing that. Great for 911 calls.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The 911 calls was a big reason they made each house a different number around here.

Never really measured how distance from the end of the road to my house but our 2 adjoining houses with 480' of frontage covers about 24-30 house numbers.

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm older than dirt too.

i know most of 'em-- i'll be 38; doc, blackjack gum-- if u knew of beeman's & clove gum, they're of a different genre then my https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...UKEwi5n8P5s_XgAhUux1kKHSyQD_kQ9aACCJQC&adurl=genre, tho u could find/can get 'em if u look about pgh.-- i would chew clove & beeman's when we would buy them~~

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
baseball cards w/ gum in them, & 'garbage pail kids' cards--
& yo-yo's~~

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Harley Davisdon . . .

Attachments

• AC23E0B4-4B56-4CBE-93F2-385BBAF7CCA9.jpeg
    AC23E0B4-4B56-4CBE-93F2-385BBAF7CCA9.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 7EA958BA-BB5E-4FDF-8EBC-19C1B2246145.jpeg
    7EA958BA-BB5E-4FDF-8EBC-19C1B2246145.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 1FF68EEB-3F2D-4CE5-9438-4D7F6B6D98A6.jpg
    1FF68EEB-3F2D-4CE5-9438-4D7F6B6D98A6.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 227

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Top 10 March 29 1963

I've heard of number 1.and number 10 Can't say I've ever heard any of the others. How about you?

Attachments

• Top10March291963.jpg
    Top10March291963.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 194

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
:yum: I thought I was just to young for the 1963 top ten
I am plenty old enough for the 1972 top 10 and should remember or recognize them all. I cannot recall 3, 6 or 8.
Do you remember them all?

Attachments

• Top10March261972.jpg
    Top10March261972.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 191

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I am plenty old enough for the 1972 top 10 and should remember or recognize them all. I cannot recall 3, 6 or 8.

I do not recall #8. I always thought #1 was a horse with no legs. Oh well. :yum::yum:

Joe Tex was an interesting character. He had an ongoing feud with James Brown, whom he did not like at all.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Top 10 March 29 1963

I've heard of number 1.and number 10 Can't say I've ever heard any of the others. How about you?

I knew 8 out of 10 and I was 16 years old living in Scotland. Maybe we weren't so cut off from civilization as I thought.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Yup, another 8 out of 10. I must have been pretty hip in those days.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a Sears and a Montgomery Wards in our town when I was growing up. These were the equivalent to the big box stores of today. They had about everything ...but I sure do not remember Dogs being sold in their catalogs. I guess they were in 1958. Anyone remember?

Did you know you could buy an actual live dog from the Montgomery Ward catalog in 1958? Man, you truly could get everything at Wards back in the day!

Attachments

• BuyADogFromWardsCatalog.jpg
    BuyADogFromWardsCatalog.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 179

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a Sears and a Montgomery Wards in our town when I was growing up. These were the equivalent to the big box stores of today. They had about everything ...but I sure do not remember Dogs being sold in their catalogs. I guess they were in 1958. Anyone remember?

Did you know you could buy an actual live dog from the Montgomery Ward catalog in 1958? Man, you truly could get everything at Wards back in the day!

I have a still running 1953 Montgomery Wards chest freezer in my garage.
I also have a 1969 Montgomery Wards Microwave in a wall mount cabinet over the stove. Still works perfectly.

But, I'm gonna suggest a dog from that time era would likely not be barking today.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a still running 1953 Montgomery Wards chest freezer in my garage.
I also have a 1969 Montgomery Wards Microwave in a wall mount cabinet over the stove. Still works perfectly.

But, I'm gonna suggest a dog from that time era would likely not be barking today.

We bought a late 50's Wards upright freezer in 1979 and ran it until 2009 when we got rid of it. It was still running great at -30F. Remarkable. Only problem, it used so much electricity, the local nuke plant would call and complain every time it cycled on. :yum::yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Top 10 March 31 1964

I remember most of these except 6 and 9, I suspect if I heard those I would recognize them. I listened to these on a little transistor radio. To kewl. LOL

Attachments

• Top10March311964.jpg
    Top10March311964.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 147

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another top 10 list. This one from April 2nd 1982

I thought I was simply to young to remember some of the songs from the 60's. Can't use that excuse for not remembering these. Our kids were young then and I was working 60 hours a week but I still listened to music. I cannot recall 2, 4, 5, 8, 9 and 10. :yum: :pat:

Attachments

• top10April021982.jpg
    top10April021982.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 129

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I did pretty good on the previous two but almost bombed out on this one. I possibly knew 3 but would have to hear them to be sure. I guess that I left my "Hipness" in the 70s. :yum::yum::yum:

Actually I was in my early 30s and too busy with work and other stuff to bother much about music.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hair in the 60's. :eek:

Attachments

• HairInThe60s.jpg
    HairInThe60s.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 367