• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"Essential Oils" may be poisoning your dog

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All the rage are little home vaporizers that spew things like "tea tree oil" and other 'essential oils' into the air in the form of a fine vapor or mist.

Apparently these things are becoming a problem with pet owners who, often finding out the hard way, that they killed their pup by filling their home with scented air.

Not sure how many others of you got or gave one of these things for Christmas as a gift, we have one in our home. Uh, had.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/essential-oil-and-liquid-potpourri-poisoning-in-dogs
Essential Oil and Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Dogs

Essential oils are the concentrated liquids (volatile organic compounds) of plants. Essential oils have become popular for their use in aromatherapy and alternative medicine; they are also used in cleaning products, food and drink flavorings, herbal remedies, perfumes, personal care products, and liquid potpourris used as home air fresheners and fragrances.

Many liquid potpourri products and essential oils, including oil of cinnamon, citrus, pennyroyal, peppermint, pine, sweet birch, tea tree (melaleuca), wintergreen, and ylang ylang, are poisonous to dogs. Both ingestion and skin exposure can be toxic.

How hazardous are essential oils and liquid potpourri to dogs?

potpourriwcaptionEssential oils and liquid potpourris contain chemicals that are rapidly absorbed orally or through the skin. Many of these chemicals are metabolized through the liver.Very young dogs and puppies, and dogs with liver disease are more sensitive to their effects. Liquid potpourri and some essential oils can also irritate or burn the skin and mouth.

Only a couple of licks or a small amount on the skin could be harmful to a dog.

Only a couple of licks or a small amount on the skin could be harmful to a dog, depending on the ingredients in a specific product and how the pet is exposed.

What are the signs of essential oil or liquid potpourri poisoning?

Symptoms may include:

• Fragrance or scent on hair coat, skin, or breath or in vomit
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Difficulty walking or uncoordinated gait
  • Drooling
  • Lethargy or weakness
  • Muscle tremors
  • Pawing at the mouth or face
  • Redness or burns on the lips, gums, tongue, or skin
  • Vomiting
What should I do if I suspect that my dog has been exposed to essential oils or liquid potpourri?

Rapid diagnosis and treatment are imperative. If you believe that your dog has ingested or come in contact with essential oils or liquid potpourri, call your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline (800-213-6680) immediately. The sooner you seek treatment, the better the prognosis and outcome for your dog.

The sooner you seek treatment, the better the prognosis and outcome for your dog.

In addition:

• Do not induce vomiting or give activated charcoal to your dog. This may worsen your dog’s condition.
  • Put the product packaging in a sealed plastic bag, and take it with you to the veterinary clinic.
  • If any product is on the skin or fur, quickly wash it off using hand dishwashing detergent.
How are essential oil or liquid potpourri poisonings treated, and what is the prognosis?

Fast and aggressive treatment by your veterinarian is essential to prevent any toxic effects from developing. If clinical signs have developed, treatment will be based on those symptoms.

Fast and aggressive treatment is essential to prevent any toxic effects.

Your veterinarian will perform blood work to determine if the liver and kidneys have been affected. Intravenous (IV) fluids may be used for hydration, and sometimes a soft diet or feeding tube may be necessary if there are chemical burns in the mouth or esophagus. Other treatments may include anti-vomiting medication, medications to protect the stomach, pain medication, antibiotics, and medication to protect the liver.

Some types of oils are more toxic than others, so recovery may depend on the specific oils ingested. There is no antidote for this poisoning; however, with early intervention and supportive treatment, most dogs can survive. 

How can I prevent my dog from being exposed to essential oils and liquid potpourri?

Keep essential oils and liquid potpourri products out of reach of dogs at all times. Curious animals may want to investigate the sweet-smelling liquids, so never leave opened essential oils or simmering potpourri unattended. In addition, consult a veterinarian before using any essential oils or other herbal products on your pet. Never apply a concentrated essential oil on your pet!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder if hemp oil falls into that category seeing as that is the latest rage around here.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I never heard of essential oils before. Why would anyone want to spray that shit in their house and breath it? Gotta be guys with man buns and bearded hipsters.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never heard of essential oils before. Why would anyone want to spray that shit in their house and breath it? Gotta be guys with man buns and bearded hipsters.

I think it is all the rage with the yoga ladies and holistic medicine people. Sort of like the scented candles that were so popular.

I wonder if hemp oil falls into that category seeing as that is the latest rage around here.

I don't believe Hemp oil is considered an essential oil. At least not in the traditional sense.

Essential oils are used as fragrance scents in soaps, as liquid potpourri, and in some instances in teas. Mints, citrus, eucalyptus and Tea Tree are very commonly used. Tea Tree is apparently also very harmful to pets. Many others may also be toxic to animals.

From wikipedia: An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils, ethereal oils, aetherolea, or simply as the oil of the plant from which they were extracted, such as oil of clove.